PDA

View Full Version : Elk and Clear Cuts

kootenay_jack
10-19-2013, 04:31 PM
This is my first year hunting, and I feel very over whelmed by the amount of things I have no clue about. I got an elk tag but with one day left I fell I have wasted my time.

I was wondering how elk react to clear cuts that are a few years old and have some new growth? like moose that are fringe animals, or do they just like to cross them to get to the good eats? Do they like to eat fire weed? Am I wasting my time going to these places? And are mornings or evenings better?

Any and all advice would be great, for hunting next year.

hawk-i
10-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Don't feel like you wasted your money....if you learnt something it is money well spent! If Elk are in the area, yes, they will use clearcuts with some new growth on it. Elk are primarily grazers, while moose are mostly browsers so their respective food intake is different. However both will and do use clearcuts. Early morning before sunrise and shortly after are as good as sunset and shortly after. Also if there is not much of a moon, the mid afternoons can and are productive as well. Deer in particular will often be out feeding from noon til 2 or so...during the rut, mid afternoon does have a fair amount of buck activity....keep at it, maybe next year will be luckier for you!
One of the main things I've learnt over the years of hunting is to HUNT WHERE THE ANIMALS ARE! Do a lot of scouting and if not much FRESH sign shows up, don't waste your time, move on and look for a better spot. I spend 90% of my hunting time hunting for a spot to hunt...once you've found that spot the remaining 10% of your hunting time will usually reward you with success.
Don't limit your hunting to one specific area, be mobile and able to move if things aren't looking good.
Enjoy and good luck!

junkyard_g
10-19-2013, 05:03 PM
never seen them eat fireweed personally but wouldnt doubt it. In the areas I've hunted them they seem to stay out of the cutblocks during daylight hours for the most part. I generally target them on south facing aspen leading slopes that have very dense undergrowth and near water. totally depends on you're region and the amount of hunting pressure though.

hawk-i
10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Also learn to call....both moose and elk will respond to calling well before and after the rut. They may not come rushing in grunting and braking trees but they will come in and investigate....call the night before and check the area very carefully the next morning. It may take a day or two but they will come if they are in the area!

16ga
10-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Also learn to call....both moose and elk will respond to calling well before and after the rut. They may not come rushing in grunting and braking trees but they will come in and investigate....call the night before and check the area very carefully the next morning. It may take a day or two but they will come if they are in the area!
Well said, this is good advice.

Captainkf
10-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks! I am also new to elk and appreciate the specific feedback.

Hammerhead
10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
There is always something new to learn from others experience so just keeping your ears open and asking those questions and you will be rewarded for it. There is always someone that knows something that you don't. I have been fortunate enough in the last 6 years to hook up with a great friend and hunting buddy that has a pretty good career of hunting behind him so I learn something new every trip. Sorry that I can't really add a lot of input for you but you are getting some good advice already. Keep at it, it will happen. Good luck
HH

allan
10-20-2013, 08:22 AM
If there is no fresh sign move on
Ive only encountered elk in cut blocks before shooting light
learn how to cow call to use as locator call
Don't over call
play the wind, if they smell you you will never see them
i personally have never had good success getting close by driving, most of my hunting is done on foot. Some of my hunting mentors have said to park at least 1 km away and walk in. I bow hunt though so driving can work if you can shoot that longer distance.
Never give up! You have zero chance if you don't get out there!

10-20-2013, 09:32 AM
They will go into clearcuts, 1st light, last light. Tend to shy away from them more as the season goes on. Rut causes stupidity and they could be there any time. Find the Cows and some where around them will be a bull or more.
If you think you have wasted your time or money ..... quit hunting now ....... its not about trying to same money from the meat market ......... I'm about $ 193,468.75 into my hunting career, in 40 years. Over that time I have figured I would have spent $ 5,634.28 on meat and fish. Sheesh I guess I best quit hunting, I hate being outside, ugly mountains, terrible place to be .........

CT

Enjoy it your time will come if you persist

Canadian Dad
10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Like it has been mentioned, you are still learning. The best times this year were super early for myself in clearings not seen from the roads.
Any time spent hunting for elk gives you the chance of harvesting but no guarantees. I moved here 5 years ago and am still learning about the elk. Too bad about the GOS, not because of higher harvest rates but mainly due to the higher amount of hunter traffic.
This year was my best as I was within 100 yards of 2 bulls, easy shots but they weren't legal (4x4 and 5X5). Another reason to get off the machines, so you have more time for proper ID. Plus I am proud to say that my wife spotted the herd, not me.

2tins
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Buddy first of all welcome to the wonderful world of hunting. You've made a good choice especially if you involve your kids and don't put in for the draws I put in for. As far as elk hunting goes, getting skunked is part of the game. There is a lot to this business and you will not learn it all in one year. That being said, being out there and figuring stuff out is half the fun. If you are not seeing elk sign in the clear cuts, look for it somewhere else. Buy other tags like deer and moose tags because you never know what you'll run into when you're out there looking for elk. It's easy to say but don't get frustrated, would you rather be at work. Have fun, be safe and good luck, 2tins.

kootenay_jack
10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I have a white tail and black tail tag and will be working on filling those.