PDA

View Full Version : Get your white tail!!!

B-rad
10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Ok here we go,,,there been lots of people not knowing where to go,,and alot of people not even believing that we even have white tail in the kamloops area,,,,so here is quite a few areas that hold wt,,,and yes they are still there and and early as yesterday morning,,,plus areas where I harvested my wt and have harvested my wt every year in the past,,,,,
ADAMS LK---take the agate bay road,,,you will see them feeding in the fields at first light,,,alot of times they will be mixed with the mule deer,,,so u have to test your identifying skills,,,,you will spot more the closer to Adams lake you get,,,,,at first light
ADAMS LK forestry rd---you need to get on top of the hill sides and scope the area,,,lots of deer trails
CHASE---Loakin bear creek rd,,,,,one of my top 5 places for the wt,,,,you need to get up on the powerlines above niskonolith lk and skmana lk,,,,,,,,,,,Squilax anglemont rd,,,,you will see them feeding in fields,,,get up in mountains up to the left of the road,,,,,,,,,Chase-Falkland rd--there is some good pockets of wt up around pillar lk
WESTWOLD---Pinaus lk forestry rd,,,,,you really have to glass the DOWN slopes,,,u will be catching them as they are moving behind the scenes from feeding to bedding------Douglas lk rd,,,right from Westwold all through to the old Merritt hwy,,,,this some fun hunting,,,hunt the draws in the open fields,,and hope you are a good shot at running deer,,woot woot,,,a real blast lol
ENDERBY---take the enderby-Mabel lk road,,,,about half way up,,,there is some good mountains to hunt,,,nice view also overlooking the Shuswap river
And for those that might go north bound some awesome places are Vanderhoof,,Engen,fort Fraser and Fraser lk,,,,,,,Fort St. John,,,,south and southwest,,,tonssss of wt up there,,,,well there ya all go,,now up to you to pick your spot,,,,and be patient,,,the only thing I can't do for ya is pull the trigger,,,good luck to ya all,,,and if any questions shoot me a message,,good luck,,and happy trails

Jelvis
10-19-2013, 09:40 AM
B-rad thank you dad, real good no need to touch wood.
Information highways thru the flyways
Very well done
Should be fun
Thanks a lot
Gotta trot
-- Whitetails around the southern interior and not inferior ..
Jelly B.

horshur
10-19-2013, 09:51 AM
upper Louis creek road and the todd mnt road in the farmers fields there are lots.,,I counted over two dozen out one evening from about 5 kms before whitecroft to barrier driving at speed....

v-king
10-19-2013, 10:08 AM
My, my, your gona make somesome people mad, giving it all up. Thanks for the 411 tho.

Cyrus
10-19-2013, 10:25 AM
all my secret spots thanks...lol

dana
10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Coldscauar flats off of Rd 2 and Rd 6 in TFL18 Clearwater. Homestead/Otter FSRs Vavenby. North Blue River FSR and Mud/Red Sands FSR Blue River. Tum Tum FSR. Adams West FSR. Rd 40 Adams. Molmich/Tracy/Spillman FSRs Adams.

Lillypuff
10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
roche lake area

B-rad
10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I will post more areas when I figure out the name of some of the roads,,,,but I do have to say that in my experience hunting whitetail is quite different than mulies,,,,for instance,,,,mulies will somewhat migrate down into valley bottoms,,gorges and what have you,,,so if you find mule deer activity,,,they will at some point move location to an area for rutting,,,,,where as if you find a local for whitetail,,,,,chances are ( kamloops areas milder winter)the whitetail will stay in the general area throughout the year,,,,so if u see ANY whitetail,,,do what u have too,to remember the area,,,,put a pin in a map,,,,,,pin it on gps,,,anything,,,,and the more areas you scout,,,,,the more areas you are going to find,,,,and the more you find,,,,the more your chances go waaaaaaay up,,,,,and on another note,,,,,whitetail looooove the thick brush,,,usually dense willows and such,,,,so find an area with wt,,,and find a small clearing or break in the brush with signs,,,,and just sit and wait and hope the boredom doesn't kill ya,,,patients will pay off,,,and you might even tag out on your first attempt

B-rad
10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Yup,,Roche lake area becoming quite good last few years,,,,lots of whitetail filtering into that area from the Douglas lake plateaus

Stillhunting
10-19-2013, 01:50 PM
You guys looking for white-tails need to focus on the right habitats. Look in the thick stuff near moose habitat such as swamps and meadows or in mule deer winter range such as ridges above farmers fields. You can successfully stillhunt white-tails, just need to go even slower and be sharper. I like to stillhunt any time of day until I find fresh sign, like scrapes, rubs and beds, and then set up to rattle with a bit of cover. When rattling, pound the ground several times with the base of your rattling antlers before you start your rattling sequence, so that it sounds like hooves pounding the ground, and grind the antlers together with a fair amount of force, instead of smashing them. If your after a doe, just go for a drive in good habitat at first and last light. I'm not going to tell you about any specific spot since one of the best parts of hunting is finding a honey hole on your own. Get out of the truck to see what kind of story the bush will reveal. Good luck.

sawmill
10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Nice B Rad.Where are you gonna hunt next year son?

Sofa King
10-19-2013, 05:11 PM
can you put up where the spike moose and sasquatch are next?

Brizz
10-19-2013, 07:56 PM
How about in 8-8? :)

Stone Sheep Steve
10-19-2013, 08:49 PM
How about in 8-8? :)

Think "thick". Where are the thickest areas? North-facing slopes. Valley runs north to south and creeks generally flow from West to east in the 8-08 area.
hint.

SSS

B-rad
10-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Lmao,,,too funny,,,,Sasquatch sighting in mission,,,,,spike bulls above lac le jeune,,,,next year gonna hunt mostly Adams lake---Shuswap and chase area for whitetail,,,,,anymore questions anyone lol

wsm
10-19-2013, 11:36 PM
How about in 8-8? :)8-8 ? darke provincial park got lots of WT

Brizz
10-20-2013, 12:20 AM
^I spent a couple days in there last week and found some nice terrain. Didn't expect to see so many moose!

lovemywinchester
10-20-2013, 05:30 AM
I will post more areas when I figure out the name of some of the roads,,,,

How about you don't! How about you let new WT hunters put 4 years of hiking and observing under their belts instead of pissing off every guy around Kamloops that hunts whities already. People sitting at a key board moaning and complaining about never seeing WT shouldn't be rewarded with yours, and mine, favorite spots.

B-rad, go take a drive near Dardanelle lake above Stump this week. See what it looks like to hunt with 50 other guys in a few sq k and then maybe you will understand.

gcreek
10-20-2013, 06:43 AM
I can feel the love!!!

B-rad
10-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Yeah I understand your point lovemyW,,,,,this post was mostly meant for the non believers of whitetail abundance in the kamloops area,,and the newer entry level woodsman,,,what really comes down too is hunters ARE still gonna have to get out and search,,,the areas I shared are a really good starting point,,,,and as far as above stump lk,,,ya I know what you mean,,,,,tooooons of hunters up there,,,,but once again,,mostly road hunters,,,,,I do an extreme amount of duck and goose hunting on stump lk and it a steady flow of hunters from one end to the next till bout one hour after light

dana
10-20-2013, 12:16 PM
How about you don't! How about you let new WT hunters put 4 years of hiking and observing under their belts instead of pissing off every guy around Kamloops that hunts whities already. People sitting at a key board moaning and complaining about never seeing WT shouldn't be rewarded with yours, and mine, favorite spots.

B-rad, go take a drive near Dardanelle lake above Stump this week. See what it looks like to hunt with 50 other guys in a few sq k and then maybe you will understand.

lmw,
The whole point of this and a couple other recent whitetail threads is to encourage hunters to go out and actually kill one. This is all in an effort to keep mule deer country alive and well for a little longer. Choose your poison. Do you want to have whitetail spots all to yourself or do you want you see muleys for your children and grandchildren?

Ambush
10-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Great idea and a great thread. Hunter recruitment and retention is certainly tied to success. Not to mention that whitetails are very good eating.

I don't think these areas will be suddenly overrun and certainly not by foot hunters. The road hunters will have some success, but soon the animals learn to avoid the road corridors, leaving even better hunting for those willing to hoof it a bit off the track. Win - win.

Thanks for starting off B-rad. I won't be hunting any of these areas, but it's nice to know that hunters can still help hunters.

And I even have to give a thumbs up to Dana, even though I can't stand the guy.

GoatGuy
10-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Great idea and a great thread. Hunter recruitment and retention is certainly tied to success. Not to mention that whitetails are very good eating.

I don't think these areas will be suddenly overrun and certainly not by foot hunters. The road hunters will have some success, but soon the animals learn to avoid the road corridors, leaving even better hunting for those willing to hoof it a bit off the track. Win - win.

Thanks for starting off B-rad. I won't be hunting any of these areas, but it's nice to know that hunters can still help hunters.

And I even have to give a thumbs up to Dana, even though I can't stand the guy.

X2, looks good folks.

B-rad
10-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Grrrrrr,,,was out hunting chickens this morning around one of my spots for wt,,,and came across 2 guys that shot a mulie doe thinking it was a wt,,,,,arrrrrgg,,,too bad some don't take that extra second to identify

lovemywinchester
10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
lmw,
The whole point of this and a couple other recent whitetail threads is to encourage hunters to go out and actually kill one. This is all in an effort to keep mule deer country alive and well for a little longer. Choose your poison. Do you want to have whitetail spots all to yourself or do you want you see muleys for your children and grandchildren?

I hear you Dana and I encourage everyone to hunt whities for the same reasons as you, never mind the fact that they are so delicious. I posted my pics on here to encourage Hare-assasin and others and to show the WT are out and around here. My only issue is when people start posting specific roads or directions to turn on this road and turn at the second cattle guard and hunt this power line above old man Johnsons alfalfa field, its not fair to the people that live and hunt there already.

This forum has over 13,000 members and maybe as many lurkers. People posting should remember this when giving very specific directions.

Make no mistake, WT are actively persued and hunted by MANY people I know with good success. There is no "having a spot to yourself" around here. Having a whole pile of new guys into areas may have the effect of pushing the WT out as well as making them harded to hunt.

Kirby
10-21-2013, 12:54 PM

X2. Good starting points for everybody out there.

Here are some more, maybe already on the lists but I've seen deer in these areas.

Pinitan Lake area
East of Lac le Jeune(between Lac Le Jeune and Stake and McConnel)
Surrey Lks Rd (before the underpass)
Tunkwa rd(lots of wt's from Savona to Logan Lake)
Lac Du Bois (watch the aspen patches)
Scotch Creek, anywhere from Adams River east, low elevation in the thick stuff.
Douglas Lake rd(from Westwold to Merrit, seen them anywhere and everyhwhere on that rd)
Farmlands north of Kamloops towards Barriere, lots of mulies but pockets of wt's all along too
Shuswap- Blind Bay, Salmon arm, Turtle valley
North end of Adams Lake(right where the road cuts across the head of the lake)
Agate Bay Rd

10 days left go kill a flat top!

swampdonkey
10-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Grrrrrr,,,was out hunting chickens this morning around one of my spots for wt,,,and came across 2 guys that shot a mulie doe thinking it was a wt,,,,,arrrrrgg,,,too bad some don't take that extra second to identify That happened at tunkwa this weekend to . I also came across the same thing in 3-19 this past week some guys shot a mulie foe and said it was a whitey

Looking_4_Jerky
10-21-2013, 01:35 PM
This thread reminds me of when I was a young hunter and would hear about guys getting “big mulie bucks”. My first thought was always ”what area did they get it in”? Eventually, it dawned on me (or rather, experience has taught me) that those big bucks are potentially anywhere around (in my case) Kamloops. It was not the areas in which I hunted that were making the difference between seeing and not seeing big bucks, but rather how, when and where (on a smaller, more specific scale) I would hunt them.

The whitetail situation around Kamloops is very much the same. Name me an area around Kamloops where there is little or no chance at seeing a whitetail. I can’t think of one anymore. I don’t see loads of them on the Bonaparte Plateau or the Cache Creek area, but I have seen a few in those spots too. Within all the broad areas (Paul/Pinitan, Heffley, O'Connor, Pritchard, Roche, Lac le Jeune, Tunkwa lake, Logan lake), where (the specific pockets), how and when you hunt will make the difference. Those who think that naming every FSR in region 3 is going to overcrowd them all into resemblance to the Dardanelles FSR are blowing things out of proportion. If I named two whitey hotspots, that might draw attention to those couple of spots and result in increased pressure. If I name 30 (which is what has since happened within this thread), I think all that happens is it might tend to spread folks around when they realize they can essentially go anywhere and it is really a matter of learning spots within any general area that one might want to try. Right now anyone not wanting to put in their own hard work has been relying on the few spots that have received public mention in the past – Tunkwa Lk Rd, Falkland, Aspen Grove, etc. Maybe now some will realize that there is not really any FSR they could go to where they will not find whities if they look in the right places and hunt in the right way.

Sofa King
10-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Grrrrrr,,,was out hunting chickens this morning around one of my spots for wt,,,and came across 2 guys that shot a mulie doe thinking it was a wt,,,,,arrrrrgg,,,too bad some don't take that extra second to identify

maybe you should have added a section on whitetail identification to your thread instead of just giving away everyone's hunting areas.

hare_assassin
10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Well, those concerned about B-rad giving away all the best spots need not worry, because Looking_4_Jerky is right; the method and timing must be everything.

Based on a PM, I've been hunting one of those areas very hard over the past couple of weeks. Guess what I have seen?

- Shitloads of grouse
- A few mulies (my buddy shot two of them, the area bridges 2 regions)
- A few hare
- 5 Moose
- Zero White Tails

My plan is to take a mulie buck out of there ASAP, and maybe try calling some moose, all the while picking off as many grouse as I can.

White tail? Well, hard to shoot what you never see.

dana
10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
all i can say, if you've been hunting the loops for any length of time and have never seen a whitey then you either don't know how to id them or you are blind.

sapper
10-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Well, now that all you guys are giving away spots ;) and one of them just happens to coincide with a spot I was PM'ed about a while back I may try for a day trip this weekend. All in the interest of doing a public service, of course. :)

hare_assassin
10-21-2013, 02:49 PM
all i can say, if you've been hunting the loops for any length of time and have never seen a whitey then you either don't know how to id them or you are blind.

There's lots of us blind hunters out there, then. The only ones I ever saw were way up near Bonaparte (does out of season), close to Sharpe Lk. I know lots of hunters and the vast majority have never seen them or very rarely seen them. I don't know anyone who has ever shot one.

Although, I did hear the other day about my friend's daughter's friend's dad who shot one out by Logan Lake. :rolleyes:

icmod20
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Too many people looking for freebies.... Spend a little less time on the keyboard, and a little more time with your hiking boots...

Sofa King
10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
lmw,

except that giving them the locations is actually putting them smack dab on the mulies also.
and people are going to shoot what they see, and odds are much higher they'll be seeing a mule than a white.
encouragement needn't be detailed locations for all the world to see, even poachers.
send a guy a pm to share a spot or two, that's what I've done a few times.
I've even given away a honey-hole to a guy who was traveling a ways and putting a big effort into the trip.

reality is, our hunting areas are changing every day and getting smaller and smaller, due to the logging of the beetle-kill.
areas that were awesome deer-holders are now vast clear-cuts everywhere I go.
our youth will never have the hunting opportunities that we had, just like we never had it as good as our fathers did.

dana
10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I've had it way better than my father did in the so-called good ol' days. My son has seen far more success than I ever did. I guess life is what you make it eh? :)

hare_assassin
10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Too many people looking for freebies.... Spend a little less time on the keyboard, and a little more time with your hiking boots...

The only time I spend on the keyboard is during the time that it is impossible for me to be hunting. If in doubt, ask my wife. :)

SR80
10-22-2013, 07:10 AM

Well said! This guy reminds me of jelvis the way he talks

B-rad
10-22-2013, 08:32 AM
All I hope to accomplish with starting this thread is to help fellow outdoorsman,,,,we are going too have many many years of awesome whitetail hunting to come,,,and I think everyone should be able to enjoy it,,,not only by hunters but also by those that just enjoy nature,,,I been talking to this couple that take pictures for a living and been helping with a few spots they can go,,,and some of the pictures they are getting are awesome to say the least,,,not only of some nice pics of fairly big wt bucks(5x4) they got pics of 3 wolves up in the Roche lk area

hare_assassin
10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
And I, for one, do appreciate your generosity.

Now I have a dilemma. The clock is ticking and I have two very different options...

B-rad
10-22-2013, 08:55 AM
And what options are those hare

hare_assassin
10-22-2013, 08:59 AM
And what options are those hare

1) Keep going up into Region 8 and find another mulie buck (and decent chances at moose), meanwhile nailing as many grouse as I see

2) Explore some of the other areas mentioned in this thread and "hope" to finally see some WTs

Dannybuoy
10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Well region 8 also has the possibility of WT so while moose is open .....

B-rad
10-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Hmmm,,well hare,,,I'd say tag out on the mulie first cause you familiar with them,,,,,then after the mulie,,,,you will have tonnnnnns of time to concentrate 100% on the WT,,,,

hare_assassin
10-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Well region 8 also has the possibility of WT so while moose is open .....

The area of 8 that I have been hitting is up around 1500m, so I don't have high hopes for WT. Maybe on the way up the switchbacks... I always keep my eyes open. :)

hare_assassin
10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Well, B-rad, not really tonnnnes of time, since I really do need the option of WT antlerless to give me any chance at all at success. So I'd really like to git 'er done in Oct. if I can. Trouble is I have relatives coming this weekend from AB and I will only be able to get out in the bush for 1 day... :cry:

kako99
10-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Your something elese bud.

B-rad
10-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Just curious to hear if anyone having some luck on the white tails,,,DON'T want any locations,just want to know if people are having luck harvesting any

bcfirefly
10-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Been out for 4 days running last weekend and the full moon and warm temps really slowed things down for the wt hunt for me. not much moving. did see a number of wt does but it was just before light in the fog and was spread out with buddies and couldn't confirm what was behind the doe. will be out this weekend with less moon and cooler temps moving in. Seeing way too many mulie does.... this is Lumby area

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
... last weekend and the full moon and warm temps really slowed things down for the wt hunt for me...

Things were pretty slow for me, too (looking for MD). Especially on Sunday. I think they were up pretty late partying on Saturday night (fresh tracks everywhere Sunday morning) and then they spent Sunday bedded down. It was only at last light that a couple of MD does wandered along the edge of a cutblock... Hope you're right about this weekend.

Andrewh
10-23-2013, 12:24 PM
The area of 8 that I have been hitting is up around 1500m, so I don't have high hopes for WT. Maybe on the way up the switchbacks... I always keep my eyes open. :)

Shot my WT buck last weekend at 5500ft in reg 8... First time looking for a wt, hunted them like they were muley's and it worked.

only saw tracks up high, not a believer they only live in valley bottoms etc.

Andrew

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Shot my WT buck last weekend at 5500ft in reg 8... First time looking for a wt, hunted them like they were muley's and it worked.

Andrew

You've just confirmed a suspicion I have had for the past few days... Now I feel sick.

Those two "mulie" does I spotted about 400m across the cutblock on Sunday evening (at around 5500ft)... they looked browner than normal... not that greyish brown... more of a tan-brown...

I noticed this, and thought, "no friggin way they are WT, not this high up."

Sun made the binos almost impossible to use. Tried to get closer and got busted. Then I went home. Doh!!!

buck400
10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Does 3 12 have any wt in the area or is that mule country?

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Does 3 12 have any wt in the area or is that mule country?

yes wt in 3-12.

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Andrew

first 'alpine' wt I saw was a group of big bucks between Kootenay Lake and Kimberley about 18 years ago. Been seeing wt in the alpine in Region 8 since about 2002 IIRC?

TexasWalker
10-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Just curious to hear if anyone having some luck on the white tails,,,DON'T want any locations,just want to know if people are having luck harvesting any
91 pounds dressed.

Should be delicious table fare.

I shot him in area where they are competing with the mule deer heavily,4000ft elevation.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv67/bigmike_420/5F39F454-08B9-4B3F-A9B7-79F167C948D2-7489-0000060BC2CEA644_zpsb55731c3.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/bigmike_420/media/5F39F454-08B9-4B3F-A9B7-79F167C948D2-7489-0000060BC2CEA644_zpsb55731c3.jpg.html)

Islandeer
10-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Some of you guys need to drop the crying towels and pick up the gun, there is NO crying in hunting, especially Whitie hunting.

Quit asking for others to give you the silver bullet and create your own, and quit being so pathetic, you have a considerably larger brain than a whitetail ...

use it.

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 03:31 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_08153.JPG

B-rad
10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Ohhhh Heck ya,,,,there lots of whitetail in 3-12,,especially through the Douglas lake plateau

B-rad
10-23-2013, 04:03 PM
And Hare----yup,,,,I almost guarantee those where WT u seen across the cut block,,,mulies are goin pretty grey this time of year,,,and the WT have a definite tan/ brown colour to em,,,,you gotta hit that spot again bud,,and get ur self a whitie!!,,,good luck to ya

Stone Sheep Steve
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
first 'alpine' wt I saw was a group of big bucks between Kootenay Lake and Kimberley about 18 years ago. Been seeing wt in the alpine in Region 8 since about 2002 IIRC?

I remember an article in BC Outdoors from the early 90's(?) called "Stranger in the High Country". Not a new phenomenon for sure.

SSS

dana
10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
You've just confirmed a suspicion I have had for the past few days... Now I feel sick.

Those two "mulie" does I spotted about 400m across the cutblock on Sunday evening (at around 5500ft)... they looked browner than normal... not that greyish brown... more of a tan-brown...

Sun made the binos almost impossible to use. Tried to get closer and got busted. Then I went home. Doh!!!

I told ya you were probably just not IDing them correctly.

I've seen whiteys above treeline numerous times over the years. We hunted highcountry whiteys in Both Regions 4 and 8 in the eighties.
Here is my son's 2012 Region 3 whitetail that he shot just below treeline.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/P9090064.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/P9090064.jpg.html)

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 04:41 PM
I told ya you were probably just not IDing them correctly.

Well, part of my brain IDed them correctly, and then the other part of my brain said "nah, can't be... everyone says they are down low".

I need to listen to the first part.

thick
10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
There are many good white tail areas in the north okanagan that are in the 1800-2000m range, don't be afraid to explore the high country for whities. Some of the areas I frequent at this elevation have more whities than mulies which is not usually expected at these elevations. Look for large relatively flat areas with networks of swamps and parkland type country with a good amount of streams and seepages. Hit the openings and any cut blocks that are amongst this type of country. Go slow and really watch the tree line and along the fringe/ retention areas, them little buggers are extremely hard to see sometimes.... More times than not you just see the white flag followed by the huffin and snorting then followed by $@ck me I shoulda slowed down and glassed more...

Rattler
10-23-2013, 06:50 PM
I have been seeing whitetail in the alpine since the mid 90's. Big WT bucks have been shot in the alpine around the West Kootenays for over a decade now....

ElectricDyck
10-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Here's a pic I posted last year, this is a day of driving around the side roads off the vallery north of white swan lake in the kootnays.(can't remember the name of the fsr) Must have seen 100 white tail does that day. Good for a new hunter to have some opportunity and learn.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/East%20Kootnays%202012/IMG_0577-1.jpg

KB90
10-23-2013, 07:00 PM
^ Awesome pic! :D

Lillypuff
10-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info I have little to no time to hunt and live in the Kamloops area. I would love to put a tag on a doe here in region 3 and then hit my old stomping ground in the okanagan. Have seen them up lac du bois, John Frank Lake and Dardenelle lake. How ever I have not seen many and do not feel like wasting family time travelling all over Kamloops looking for them.

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info I have little to no time to hunt and live in the Kamloops area. I would love to put a tag on a doe here in region 3 and then hit my old stomping ground in the okanagan. Have seen them up lac du bois, John Frank Lake and Dardenelle lake. How ever I have not seen many and do not feel like wasting family time travelling all over Kamloops looking for them.

You are an out of regioner now - be sure to pay the toll on your way up the hill!

Lillypuff
10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Lol be sure to stop for a beer will be there from around the 11th to the 18th

bigredchev
10-23-2013, 07:18 PM
gps cooridernates and description of the tree they are tied to. Thanks

B-rad
10-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Well,,,I was doin my tour from chase to Adams lake huntin chickens yesterday and seen 3 more Wt does,,,,,I'm headin out for chickens again tomorrow morning,,,keep ya posted tomorrow if I see some more WT in this other spot I usually hunt WT,,,,oh and awesome pics everyone,,,I'm gonna have to get some on here lol

Blainer
10-23-2013, 07:33 PM
such a fine picture above from http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=2052&dateline=1362755657 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2052-ElectricDyck)ElectricDyck (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2052-ElectricDyck)

I thought I might add one with bone.
Flew up and hammered a 12 point moose,dropped at butchers
Returned to hunt deer and retrieve moose
3-4 point whitetail
2-4 point mulies
1200lbs

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Re-exposure_of_Re-exposure_of_DEER_HUNT2006_032.JPG

BlackOwL
10-23-2013, 07:41 PM
This is like giving bread to the lazy, While We break Our nuts to get Our Own.
You are helping some and at the same time screwing those who worked hard to find a hole, You blew it out of proportion :icon_frow

shadowhunter
10-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Great photo Blainer!

hopsing
10-23-2013, 08:19 PM
I hear you Dana and I encourage everyone to hunt whities for the same reasons as you, never mind the fact that they are so delicious. I posted my pics on here to encourage Hare-assasin and others and to show the WT are out and around here. My only issue is when people start posting specific roads or directions to turn on this road and turn at the second cattle guard and hunt this power line above old man Johnsons alfalfa field, its not fair to the people that live and hunt there already.

This forum has over 13,000 members and maybe as many lurkers. People posting should remember this when giving very specific directions.

Make no mistake, WT are actively persued and hunted by MANY people I know with good success. There is no "having a spot to yourself" around here. Having a whole pile of new guys into areas may have the effect of pushing the WT out as well as making them harded to hunt.

lovemywinchester I am dragging two new Hunters this year. One adult and he actually bought the Introductory License. The other one is a fifteen year old youth. I am pushing the to get their CORE. I do not really be want to be attached 100% of the time. The idea is for them to start thinking. If they see post like this. It encourage them and find their own honey holes. We are all in this.

hopsing
10-23-2013, 08:21 PM
such a fine picture above from http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=2052&dateline=1362755657 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2052-ElectricDyck)ElectricDyck (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2052-ElectricDyck)

I thought I might add one with bone.
Flew up and hammered a 12 point moose,dropped at butchers
Returned to hunt deer and retrieve moose
3-4 point whitetail
2-4 point mulies
1200lbs

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Re-exposure_of_Re-exposure_of_DEER_HUNT2006_032.JPG

That is some awesome hunting. How is your shooting shoulder...

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 08:29 PM
This is like giving bread to the lazy, While We break Our nuts to get Our Own.
You are helping some and at the same time screwing those who worked hard to find a hole, You blew it out of proportion :icon_frow
There are definitely two very different perspectives when it comes to hunters.

Some hunters see other hunters as allies, others see them as competition.

Andrewh
10-23-2013, 10:30 PM

Well did you see the obvious 14" white tail sticking straight up and waving at you as they busted you?

B-rad
10-23-2013, 10:32 PM
So true goatguy,,,well said,,,,damned if you do,,,,damned if you don't

Ambush
10-24-2013, 06:42 AM

Absolutely!! Safety in numbers; even a school of dumb fish instinctively know that.

As hunter numbers dwindle, so will your relevance and economic importance. You may enjoy more solitude while it lasts, but you better hope you have a second passion to take hunting's place.

So next time you think your "spots" are over run with intruders, just smile and say " wow, look at all the people insuring that hunting has a future".

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Absolutely!! Safety in numbers; even a school of dumb fish instinctively know that.

As hunter numbers dwindle, so will your relevance and economic importance. You may enjoy more solitude while it lasts, but you better hope you have a second passion to take hunting's place.

So next time you think your "spots" are over run with intruders, just smile and say " wow, look at all the people insuring that hunting has a future".

Totally agree with your approach.

Weatherby Fan
10-24-2013, 07:37 AM

My older brother and the the boys just got back from the Cranbrook area and got 7 1/2 whitetail deer, most were shot around
5000 feet in elevation, the largest group of deer he saw was 15 WT's at that elevation.

The other half they had to wrestle a Grizz for it.........!

lovemywinchester
10-24-2013, 08:19 AM
91 pounds dressed.

Should be delicious table fare.

I shot him in area where they are competing with the mule deer heavily,4000ft elevation.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv67/bigmike_420/5F39F454-08B9-4B3F-A9B7-79F167C948D2-7489-0000060BC2CEA644_zpsb55731c3.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/bigmike_420/media/5F39F454-08B9-4B3F-A9B7-79F167C948D2-7489-0000060BC2CEA644_zpsb55731c3.jpg.html)

Nice buddy, she will be good eatin'!!

Andrewh
10-24-2013, 09:58 AM

That looks like a he...:mrgreen:

TexasWalker
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM

At least I didn't have to wipe the milk off his lips!!

BlackOwL
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM

There is no competition when You give the advantage to one contender.
An ally is the hunter who understands hard learning, exploring and finding a hunting area and develops ethics in the field by His/Her own experience.
This thread takes the whole purpose and meaning of hunting. What is next? WT delivery?

hare_assassin
10-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Of the thousands of people on this site, which single contender has the advantage here?

Kirby
10-24-2013, 12:42 PM

X2. Hunters can be our own worst enemy. No shortage of deer, lets help people find theirs.

Black Owl, I hope for your sake you never had a mentor that robbed you of having to learn all about hunting on your own.

BlackOwL
10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
X2. Hunters can be our own worst enemy. No shortage of deer, lets help people find theirs.

Black Owl, I hope for your sake you never had a mentor that robbed you of having to learn all about hunting on your own.

Nope I didn't have a mentor, I learned the hard way, in fact many farm boys without computer are learning the same way I did, No apps, not even a cell phone, Some of you folks have tunnel vision and see only as hunters those who have a computer and means to learn without any effort to go and shoot, is this hunting? I don't think so, And for the sake of You Kirby, I hope You don't have to see Yourself in the same disadvantage a Farm boy has.
By the way hunting in Adams Lake is NOT allowed. The original poster mention this area several times during this thread, So there You go, so You don't be fined for hunting where you shouldn't.

hare_assassin
10-24-2013, 01:04 PM
By the way hunting in Adams Lake is NOT allowed.

I would never attempt to hunt in the lake. That would be counterproductive. In the area there's plenty of Crown land that I would happily hunt, though.

BlackOwL
10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I would never attempt to hunt in the lake. That would be counterproductive. In the area there's plenty of Crown land that I would happily hunt, though.

Yeah, You know smart ass, good luck with that. I wasn't talking to You. :-D

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/adams_lk_bush_crk/

hare_assassin
10-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, You know smart ass, good luck with that. I wasn't talking to You. :-D

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/adams_lk_bush_crk/

That park is a tiny portion of the Adams Lake area. What the hell are you on about?

P.S. Happy to be a smart ass if the other option is to be a dumb ass.

rides bike to work
10-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Getting told an area is no advantage at all you still have to have the skills and persistence to effectively hunt an area.
Ps even farm boys have Internet these days
how else do they learn how to milk the bulls

Kirby
10-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Nope I didn't have a mentor, I learned the hard way, in fact many farm boys without computer are learning the same way I did, No apps, not even a cell phone, Some of you folks have tunnel vision and see only as hunters those who have a computer and means to learn without any effort to go and shoot, is this hunting? I don't think so, And for the sake of You Kirby, I hope You don't have to see Yourself in the same disadvantage a Farm boy has.
By the way hunting in Adams Lake is NOT allowed. The original poster mention this area several times during this thread, So there You go, so You don't be fined for hunting where you shouldn't.

I grew up without a mentor, my parents weren't hunters, me and my dad learnt together. After watching people get frustrated and quit I feel it is our responsiblity to help them out. The internet is the new coffee shop. Adams Lake Park is closed, the other 99% of crown land around adams is legal (just like where I listed as suggestions).

ElectricDyck
10-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Hunting for me was an evoulutin, it started with just driving around till I saw something, to getting out on foot a bit, to looking at maps and exploring new areas and doing some backpacking, from 2007 to present and I'm still learning a lot. Pointing someone to an fsr where deer live is just a starting point of a steep learning curve.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 03:47 PM
An ally is the hunter who understands hard learning, exploring and finding a hunting area and develops ethics in the field by His/Her own experience.
This thread takes the whole purpose and meaning of hunting. What is next? WT delivery?

In your post you don't realize it, but you identify any other hunter as your competition, even before you'd identified them as a hunter. Then you go on to identify what an ally is.

Hahahaha. It's easy to read in between the lines on some of these posts.

Developing ethics in the field based on your own experience is learning through trial and error. Generally speaking, it's better for a new hunter to have a mentor to help them make decisions ie., when not to shoot, so they don't have to learn the hard way when the deer runs off wounded. It's best to prepare new hunters with at least some hands on experience and decision making skills than to simply cut them loose.

Anyways, I see your perspective, although it isn't one we have in common.

rides bike to work
10-24-2013, 03:48 PM
08-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Thread: Hunting around Lillooet
by BlackOwL Replies
Views
Re: Hunting around Lillooet
From Lillooet take the Duffy Lake Road to Pemberton, There is a lot of FSR in that section of road, Is like One third of all deer in the province is there!

E.V.B.H.
10-24-2013, 03:50 PM

So one day you just decided to start hunting and never talked to anyone about it? Just went out on your own and figured it all out. Anyone who ever helped you out or gave you advice would be a mentor.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 04:02 PM
So one day you just decided to start hunting and never talked to anyone about it? Just went out on your own and figured it all out. Anyone who ever helped you out or gave you advice would be a mentor.

just headed down to the sporting goods store picked up a lever action 30-30, license, tag and headed out to the woods one day

......... all while he was still in diapers!!!!!!!

NaStY
10-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Man are we having fun yet. If you are having a problem with someone then add them to your ignore list. Keep the personal insults to yourself and or pm.