PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowling around Prince Rupert - Frustrations and headaches

sed8ed
10-18-2013, 11:40 PM
I lost a decoy bag with 24 texas rigged GHG mallards on it, withing 40 km of Prince Rupert on the 16 or possibly on the Lachmond FSR... please let me know if you found it... there is BEER in it if you did.

So I have been up in Prince Rupert for the last month, working throughout the hunting season but I finally managed to get out yesterday and today.

Figured I would drive up highway 16 to the skeena river and find a nice alcove to set up my spread. NOPE... everywhere I looked, I was too close to the road (400m allowance).

Tried heading North of the highway into the marshes... NOPE they end too close to the highway and don't hold any ducks anyways.

Started exploring and headed up Lachmond FSR to the end. Looked promissing here but it was already 2pm so I decided to call it a day and head back to my temporary home.

Went back this morning for first light, set up my spread... and... nothing came in except for a flock of what appeared to be snipe, who refused to come within shooting range. No mallards, no geese, hell not even a seaduck. Frustrated, I packed up at around lunch time and headed back to Rupert, but by mistake, I left my tailgate open and happened to loose my decoys.

In conclusion... WHERE ARE THE WATERFOWLING AREAS??? I want greenheads and geese, the canadas are all over on the way out of town but I can't seem to find a single one in the open hunting areas. I have no problem driving out of the way, I just want to hunt. If anyone is heading out from Rupert, Terrace or Kitimat and wouldn't mind an extra partner, let me know... I am in town until the 27-28 and back on Nov 2 till Christmas

Thanks

Kudu
10-19-2013, 05:47 AM
Patience fella, you have to pattern them, follow the visible ones and see where they go - then ambush them.

tigrr
10-19-2013, 07:54 AM
25 years ago it was best at the mudflats where a river or stream came out, after the tide went out. Accessable by boat only though. Do you have a boat?
Some of the narrow channels were good too, but again we accessed them by boat.

Foxton Gundogs
10-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Just an FYI the 400 M zone only applies to single projectile, read the regs a little more carefully there may be a number of areas you are passing up needlessly.

400 METRE SINGLE
PROJECTILE (FIREARM)
PROHIBITED AREAS
The discharge of a firearm using a single
projectile is prohibited within 400 m (1/4
mile) on either side of the road allowance of
following portions of the highways and roads
in British Columbia listed below:
Hwy 5
(Coquihalla Highway) between Hope
and the junction of Highways 1 and 5 at
Kamloops;
Hwy 6
between Bench Creek and Banting
Creek;
Hwy 16
between the boundary of the City
of Prince Rupert and the British Columbia

a) 15 metres on either side of the middle
of a road with less than three lanes, or
(b) 15 metres from the edge of the paved
surface of a highway with three lanes or
more, or

kilometers
10-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Just an FYI the 400 M zone only applies to single projectile, read the regs a little more carefully there may be a number of areas you are passing up needlessly.

400 METRE SINGLE
PROJECTILE (FIREARM)
PROHIBITED AREAS
The discharge of a firearm using a single
projectile is prohibited within 400 m (1/4
mile) on either side of the road allowance of
following portions of the highways and roads
in British Columbia listed below:
Hwy 5
(Coquihalla Highway) between Hope
and the junction of Highways 1 and 5 at
Kamloops;
Hwy 6
between Bench Creek and Banting
Creek;
Hwy 16
between the boundary of the City
of Prince Rupert and the British Columbia

thats what I was goin to say. Me and my bro would be in a lot of trouble if it was true.
Your in the right area. The major migration hasn't hit terrace yet