PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

139grainsofhell
10-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Was up at tunkwa last wkd when a couple hunters pulled in backed up to the meat shed and pulled Thier deer out of the back, went over to take a look, asked what they get he replied whitetail doe, right on I said so he pulls the tarp off and I couldn't believe it... I didn't realize whitetails had big floppy ears and a black tip on the tail!!!! Informed the fella he killed a Muley doe his response .. I've been hunting for years I know what I'm doing that's a whitetail !!!he carried on to hang it and start skinning it.

ya okay pal so after some convincing by myself and others he finally figured out the difference!! And that it was in fact a Muley a tiny one at that and was shot all to hell.

In the end they had to take it to the co's and were apparently issued a warning and were back at it hunting the next day.

what a joke are they giving cores to every idiot that wants to be a hunter now a days or what?? If you can't even tell the difference learn from someone before you shoot or better yet stay out of the bush!!

Gateholio
10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
If he had been hunting for years, he would have done CORE years ago, not "these days"

coach
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
If he had been hunting for years, he would have done CORE years ago, not "these days"

Thats a touché comeback. :wink:

Weatherby Fan
10-18-2013, 08:58 PM

When I took CORE it was a two week course,6-10pm all week and saturday and sunday at the range and your exam at the range the following weekend, the teacher was a drill seargent of a guy firm but fair, a CO by the name of Rick Haun was at the class a cpl nights a week also.By the time that course was over you knew your stuff.
WF

RayHill
10-18-2013, 09:05 PM
what a joke are they giving cores to every idiot that wants to be a hunter now a days or what?? If you can't even tell the difference learn from someone before you shoot or better yet stay out of the bush!!

Did you offer to help him out so he could learn something ?

Big Lew
10-18-2013, 09:07 PM
What's even more troubling is that we don't know how often this type of scenario is played out without detection.
I've often wondered just how many does are killed by urban property owners etc. in areas like the Fraser Valley south of Hope. When you see the deer population explosion within many towns elsewhere where hunting is prohibited, why is it that most of the rural areas in the Fraser Valley aren't overrun by deer, especially does and fawns, after all the years of doe hunting restrictions when there is little natural predation?

Gateholio
10-18-2013, 09:12 PM
When I took CORE it was a two week course,6-10pm all week and saturday and sunday at the range and your exam at the range the following weekend, the teacher was a drill seargent of a guy firm but fair, a CO by the name of Rick Haun was at the class a cpl nights a week also.By the time that course was over you knew your stuff.
WF

Probably the same time period that this guy who had "hunted for years" did his CORE. ;)

Weatherby Fan
10-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Probably the same time period that this guy who had "hunted for years" did his CORE. ;)

33 years ago if my math is correct !

Cookie1965
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM
That sounds similar to when I took it, about 30 years ago now. It was offered as a night school class through the school board.

tomahawk
10-18-2013, 09:22 PM
I started teaching the CORE in the 80's and the flaw in the system IMHO is the option to challenge the exam. Yes you might pass it but it doesnt mean you know or have ever been told most of what is important in animal Id or the other key sections of the course. All you need is to answer enough questions to pass and you get a license to hunt. And another pet peeve is you dont have to have ever shot a firearm to pass, to me thats like gettin a drivers license without ever driving a vehicle!!

Gateholio
10-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I challenged it. Never shot a MD doe pout of season. :)

GoatGuy
10-18-2013, 09:25 PM

It could very well be that the individual never actually took the core if he's old enough. Most in their 50s were not required to take their CORE if they started hunting as kids. First year of core was 1976 IIRC.

Big Lew
10-18-2013, 09:36 PM
WF

Anyone taking their CORE, or anything else related to hunting or fishing with 'Rick Haun' participating or in attendance, had the best of teaching. I personally knew him as a CO, and they don't come any better.

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 09:40 PM
so, this guy "had been hunting for years" and didn't just mistake a mulie for a whitetail, he was still insistent when it was hanging in front of everyone.
the co should have recommended he take a refresher course at least.
I wonder how many "whitetail" this guy has shot over the years.

funny though, I know a guy who always says that muley, that we see while driving, are whitetail.
because their ass is white, he's positive they are whitetail.
I stopped saying anything.

troutseeker
10-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I got the equivalent back east in 1971 and it was very similar to CORE.

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
core or no core, this guy needs to visit the zoo and learn some animal identification.

Sleep Robber
10-18-2013, 09:54 PM
quoted the wrong poster

Sleep Robber
10-18-2013, 09:57 PM
It could very well be that the individual never actually took the core if he's old enough. Most in their 50s were not required to take their CORE if they started hunting as kids. First year of core was 1976 IIRC.

Yuup, Got my first hunting license in 1975, I was 11 years old, the next year they had people take the "Hunters Training Course", I think that's what they called it back then

I'm still not quite 50 yet though.:mrgreen:

Redneck Rocket
10-18-2013, 10:02 PM
I started teaching the CORE in the 80's and the flaw in the system IMHO is the option to challenge the exam. Yes you might pass it but it doesnt mean you know or have ever been told most of what is important in animal Id or the other key sections of the course. All you need is to answer enough questions to pass and you get a license to hunt. And another pet peeve is you dont have to have ever shot a firearm to pass, to me thats like gettin a drivers license without ever driving a vehicle!!

It is an interesting topic. I did not pass the CORE, but I did take a full-weekend long hunter safety course in Florida while I lived there. It covered species ID, safety, firearms history and handling and included a live fire component as well as archery. It was recognized by BC as a CORE equivalent course. I was surprised to learn that neither the PAL or CORE included live-fire.

It didn't however cover the difference between muleys & white-tails being that it was Florida based, but frankly I knew the difference long before I became a hunter and it seems fairly obvious....

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2013, 10:03 PM
CORE......a course now offered to make money for the teacher......

Back when I took it 1980 (teacher ended up being a pediphile....), it was a 2 week course over school nights. When I taught it, it was 5 nights at 3hrs/night plus a review night/test night. 4 years ago, my wife took the same course and it was done in 7 hours, including lunch and the test. No firearms handling as she has passed her PAL the week before (another 6 hour course). They taught her just the stuff on the exam, passed her and took $115 plus text book. 9 people attended her course that day. I phoned the BCWF to ask and they told me it was up the instructor to decide how long the course was.

It's a wonder that we have so many problems with new hunters.........

Cheers

SS

BuckNaked
10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
We could take it in school as part of the woodworking, metalshop elective, 25 years ago.

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Back when I took it 1980 (teacher ended up being a pediphile....), it was a 2 week course over school nights. When I taught it, it was 5 nights at 3hrs/night plus a review night/test night. 4 years ago, my wife took the same course and it was done in 7 hours, including lunch and the test. No firearms handling as she has passed her PAL the week before (another 6 hour course). They taught her just the stuff on the exam, passed her and took $115 plus text book. 9 people attended her course that day. I phoned the BCWF to ask and they told me it was up the instructor to decide how long the course was.

Cheers

SS

is that something you heard about later, or.................................?

at least the core is a little more legit than the boater operator card fiasco.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-19-2013, 06:30 AM

Cheers

SS

When my daughter did her CORE this spring, I was told the course was 21 hrs of classroom time??

I have heard of one really crappy local instructor who cuts it down to about the time you mentioned. He's all about the $.
He's also a PAL instructor and have heard of people coming into gun shops panicking with a loaded firearm not knowing how to unload it. The gunshop owners then ask if "so-in-so" was their PAL instructor. Answer is always the same.

"Wow!" is about right.

SSS

SR80
10-19-2013, 06:47 AM
where was he from?? haha

Dannybuoy
10-19-2013, 08:41 AM
sounds about right , I first got my hunting licence about 1972 ...... no core that I recall. And no I wasn't "that guy"

Chopper
10-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Was up at tunkwa last wkd when a couple hunters pulled in backed up to the meat shed and pulled Thier deer out of the back, went over to take a look, asked what they get he replied whitetail doe, right on I said so he pulls the tarp off and I couldn't believe it... I didn't realize whitetails had big floppy ears and a black tip on the tail!!!! Informed the fella he killed a Muley doe his response .. I've been hunting for years I know what I'm doing that's a whitetail !!!he carried on to hang it and start skinning it.

ya okay pal so after some convincing by myself and others he finally figured out the difference!! And that it was in fact a Muley a tiny one at that and was shot all to hell.

In the end they had to take it to the co's and were apparently issued a warning and were back at it hunting the next day.

all about revenue my friend, pretty sad when you cant distinguish deer species

new trigger
10-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Never shot any big game myself. Do you not have to leave on a horn or tail some sort of identifier? At least the butcher can confirm the specie is in season.

dogger
10-19-2013, 09:34 AM
He should have gotten a big hefty fine. He would have learned real fast the difference. :twisted:

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2013, 09:39 AM
33 years ago if my math is correct !

Hmm! just dug out my Hunter Training Program card dated April 5 - 1971 - so 41 yrs ago for me ! I think that might have being the first year ! LOL :-D RJ

139grainsofhell
10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Think these guy had more money then brains we tried to show them the difference by comparing the whitetail doe hanging next to theirs and they got mad said they been hunting Thier whole lives and didn't need to be taught what to shoot.... Hmmmm okay buddy and left it at that

Glenny
10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
CO gave him a warning?? Taking an animal without an LEH. Cancelling the wrong species license. And then was back at it the next day? Now that's the sad part. Back at it with a cancelled WT tag. Sumpen not right here.

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2013, 10:07 AM
CO gave him a warning?? Taking an animal without an LEH. Cancelling the wrong species license. And then was back at it the next day? Now that's the sad part. Back at it with a cancelled WT tag. Sumpen not right here.

YUP - if thats what happened he should have being dealth with differently then that for sure ! JMO RJ

TexasWalker
10-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Never shot any big game myself. Do you not have to leave on a horn or tail some sort of identifier? At least the butcher can confirm the specie is in season.

Is this an honest question??

If so we are in trouble if these kind of people keep getting hunting licenses!!!

READ THE REGS AND UNDERSTAND THEM BEFORE YOU GO HUNTING!!!

Rock Doctor
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM

You didn't have to take the course, or write the exam either, if you did it right. I started hunting about 25yrs ago. Never took Core, or wrote the test.

RD

frenchbar
10-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Is this an honest question??

If so we are in trouble if these kind of people keep getting hunting licenses!!!

READ THE REGS AND UNDERSTAND THEM BEFORE YOU GO HUNTING!!!
im with ya ...
how many innocent mooses and deers have to die ,before people f@@@@@@@@@king get it !!!!!!

ru rancher
10-19-2013, 11:54 AM
the problem with why people challenge it is because it cost alot to take the course i challenged them both didnt want to shell out all the cash although i had bin around hunting all my life so i didnt have to read the books but still even if i hadnt i wouldnt take the course.

r106
10-19-2013, 12:22 PM

I bet he just took it home then went out hunting again the next day and told whoever saw him a BS story. Get there plate # and report it yourself. I wouldn't trust the average person to report them self.

139grainsofhell
10-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Sad thing is he's got a Muley leh for the same region for nov!!
its kinda ridiculous the amount of animals being killed unlawfully just the others day a friend found another bull elk 4 point killed and left and who knows how many mistakend mulies will get it as well also some of the Whitey does being killed saw one that was smaller then my dog the hoofs were the same size as my thumb!!

139grainsofhell
10-19-2013, 12:31 PM
What can we do though, report what we see and leave it with the co's I guess.

*bcgold*
10-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Rock Doctor, I think you been hunting longer because I started to hunt in 1987 and I had to take the course. I remember the teacher, a cool guy with good stories which blended in what he was teaching us. Hated the duck part because not a fan of duck and thought core program was wrong on majority of the test was on 20 some of ducks. should of been equal on animals and heavy on gun safety. A company near where live does fac for around a 100$ (not that much cash) and a few nights in time.

frenchbar
10-19-2013, 12:40 PM
that's all we can do ..observe and report. you sound familiar :mrgreen: welcome home!

coach
10-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Did you report this or are you going on the guy's word that he self reported? I can't imagine any CO simply giving him a warning and allowing him to keep hunting. Things don't add up - unless I've missed something.

finngun
10-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Did you report this or are you going on the guy's word that he self reported? I can't imagine any CO simply giving him a warning and allowing him to keep hunting. Things don't add up - unless I've missed something.

saunda kinda smoky...:confused: better make sure...maybe somebody is laughing behind a tree:mrgreen:

139grainsofhell
10-19-2013, 03:40 PM
The owner at tunkwa lodge took care of it made him call and they have all the guys info an such

TexasWalker
10-19-2013, 05:05 PM

The CO made him bring the deer into kamloops and they confiscated it.

IMO they should have made him cancel his LEH muley doe tag because he already took one out of the herd.

I've been putting in for an LEH doe in 3-19 forever with no success and now this knob gets to kill two!!! Really burns me!!!

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2013, 06:04 PM

IMO they should have made him cancel his LEH muley doe tag because he already took one out of the herd.

I've been putting in for an LEH doe in 3-19 forever with no success and now this knob gets to kill two!!! Really burns me!!!

Agree Totally with you there ! RJ

Phreddy
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I take about 20-21 hrs for the course, and put the emphasis on Conservation, ethics, and firearm safety. If someone wants to challenge the exams, I suggest other instructors who will likely do it. I hunt in the same bush as the folks on my core courses and want to make damned sure at least one of us knows what we're doing out there. There's far more to hunting than killing critters. Otherwise it would be called "killing". Enjoy everything a day in the bush offers. The critters will come when it's time.

caddisguy
10-21-2013, 07:14 AM
I don't think this kind of thing has anything to do with CORE testing. Whether you take the course and have the best examiner ever, or if you only take the test, any hunter will run into scenarios or species they are not sure about. Heck despite all the duck species coverage in the CORE, I'll bet guys who have been exclusively deer hunting would need a refresher on rules and identification before going on a duck hunt. It is likely they would still pass up many opportunities in the field at first due to uncertainties. Nobody knows everything, but law abiding folks find out the info they need for a specific hunt before hitting the field and never pull the trigger unless we are certain.

To me, this looks like a case of a guy who wanted to go home with something, thought he would get away with it without any question or scrutiny--like he probably does every season--but in this case he ran into scrutiny, tried to play it off with confidence and denial, but only after no wiggle room reported it.

I'd say this is more about morals, obeying the law or not being sure about something and gambling on the law. The CORE touches on this, but this is drilled into our heads since we were born. If you couldn't learn it in life, the CORE will not help you.

This clown has probably done this a few times. Now he has a recorded strike against him. He knows if he gets caught one more time, bye-bye license. No more chance to play dirty. The system kind of works... though he should have got a fine too.

Iron Sighted
10-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I challenged it. Never shot a MD doe pout of season. :)

Me too, was an easy challenge at that. Mind you I have an inquisitive mind and I spend a lot of time researching things I am interested in, so no muley doe shot by me either : )

Phreddy
10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Interesting though is that there have been a few "cross breeds" showing up in some areas. Our old CO who is now retired was telling me of a few situations where he came up against them. His only question to the shooters was, "What were you shooting at?" If they said the one they had the tag for he just let them go with it.

Bubba123
10-21-2013, 09:22 PM

I did my core in grade 12 as a PE elective in 1975. It was pretty new then...my cert. number is 40. I don't believe it was mandatory then...but shortly afterwards it was.

Cami
10-22-2013, 08:35 AM
That pretty crazy.
I was wondering about the whole CORE thing no for a while.
Isn't it a conflict of interest that the CORE Teacher takes the exam.
Would it not be better if there is a separate office to take the exam. Its hard for the teacher if he is tough on his students no one will go there after a while.
SO in my humble opinion - The easier the exam and the more he passes the more money he will make.
Oh and one thing do we have classes in mandarin now - saw a couple of your hunting with SKS and when i tried to talk to them they didn't speak English at all !
And in an immigrant my self so

Mr. Dean
10-22-2013, 09:20 AM

In all reality, what happened at the CO is only known by the CO and the guy self reporting.... I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what was later reported by this dude.

Rock Doctor
10-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Rock Doctor, I think you been hunting longer because I started to hunt in 1987 and I had to take the course. .

Oh and one thing do we have classes in mandarin now - saw a couple of your hunting with SKS and when i tried to talk to them they didn't speak English at all !

From the Ministry Website:
A Hunter Number Card may be issued free of charge to a resident of British Columbia who has successfully completed the (CORE) (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/education.html) safety training examination (or provides proof of previous hunter safety training).

It would seem that just having an old copy of a previous hunting licence from another place (Provence or country) is/was enough. Possibly the guys speaking "Mandarin" took their training elsewhere, and were able to prove it? I know several guys that just took an old hunting licence in and recieved a BC Hunter #. It's been a while now, so I don't know if this "hole" has been closed or not.

RD

GoatGuy
10-22-2013, 10:18 AM
That pretty crazy.
Would it not be better if there is a separate office to take the exam. Its hard for the teacher if he is tough on his students no one will go there after a while.
SO in my humble opinion - The easier the exam and the more he passes the more money he will make.

The written exam is multiple choice, there's no way for the examiner to change the outcome unless he/she is a cheater in which case they shouldn't be allowed to teach or administer the CORE exam.

Gateholio
10-22-2013, 10:25 AM
It's entirely possible that someone attends a CORE course with the most diligent instructor in the province but still misidentifies an animal and shoots it out of season.

Its also possible for someone to have the worst instructor (or none at all) and manage to never kill an animal illegally.

Some individuals just can't make the effort to inform themselves about regs or animal ID. And some just don't care.

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 10:34 AM
That pretty crazy.

Hunting with an SKS?! It would be hard to find legal 7.62x39 for hunting. Anyone ever find lead ammo for these? And if they do not speak English, how could they possibly read the test questions or the regs? I would be willing to bet they are they're already breaking the law using FMJ.

HarryToolips
10-22-2013, 10:41 AM
It's entirely possible that someone attends a CORE course with the most diligent instructor in the province but still misidentifies an animal and shoots it out of season.

Its also possible for someone to have the worst instructor (or none at all) and manage to never kill an animal illegally.

Some individuals just can't make the effort to inform themselves about regs or animal ID. And some just don't care.
Thats right, and those people who don't care ruin it for the rest of us..I talked to a CO a while back and he told me just in my region of the Okanagan (8-11) 2 years ago they found 10 moose dead that were left to rot because whoever shot em misidentified the animal, some of them cow moose even.. and things like this bring on season cutback like were supposedly gonna see on the immature bull moose season next year, pisses me off..

GoatGuy
10-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Thats right, and those people who don't care ruin it for the rest of us..I talked to a CO a while back and he told me just in my region of the Okanagan (8-11) 2 years ago they found 10 moose dead that were left to rot because whoever shot em misidentified the animal, some of them cow moose even.. and things like this bring on season cutback like were supposedly gonna see on the immature bull moose season next year, pisses me off..

The reason the immature bull moose season will be cutback is because there is way too much access in Region 8 due to salvage logging.

Increased access= increased harvest = reduction in hunting opportunity.

boxhitch
10-22-2013, 11:38 AM
The reason the immature bull moose season will be cutback is because there is way too much access in Region 8 due to salvage logging.
increased access = over achievement on spike/fork harvest = reduction in spike/fork season = increase large bull # in an increasing moose pop. with a good overall bull/cow ratio = more bull LEH permits ? in a perfect world maybe

HeadingOutside
10-22-2013, 11:41 AM
I think it's largely about individual self control and intelligence instead of the CORE instructor's capabilities. Gatehouse had it right. No matter how well an instructor teaches a class there is a chance that a person is going to shoot at the first thing that moves out there. Taking the time to identify exactly what you are about to harvest is common sense for 90+% of hunters. It's that last small percentile that gets into hot water.

boxhitch
10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
......... they found 10 moose dead that were left to rot because whoever shot em misidentified the animal, some of them cow moose even.. .....Seems to be recurring for several years now , almost predictable in the media. Always wonder how much truth to the story , it almost seems like an annual op for hunter bashing. Always seems to be 8 or 10 , always paoched , most times no parts removed ............Hmmm??? Set up ?

Gateholio
10-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Hunting with an SKS?! It would be hard to find legal 7.62x39 for hunting. Anyone ever find lead ammo for these? And if they do not speak English, how could they possibly read the test questions or the regs? I would be willing to bet they are they're already breaking the law using FMJ.

There is lots of hunting ammo available for an SKS.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Seems to be recurring for several years now , almost predictable in the media. Always wonder how much truth to the story , it almost seems like an annual op for hunter bashing. Always seems to be 8 or 10 , always paoched , most times no parts removed ............Hmmm??? Set up ?

Ya, I think they are some bitter and/or malicious individuals out there.

SSS

TexasWalker
10-22-2013, 02:53 PM
In all reality, what happened at the CO is only known by the CO and the guy self reporting.... I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what was later reported by this dude.

I might have chatted with the CO:wink:
I never spoke with the offender.

TexasWalker
10-22-2013, 02:57 PM
It would be hard to find legal 7.62x39 for hunting. Anyone ever find lead ammo for these?

There are many hunting rounds readily available in 7.62x39.

BearStump
10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
To me, this looks like a case of a guy who wanted to go home with something, thought he would get away with it without any question or scrutiny--like he probably does every season--but in this case he ran into scrutiny, tried to play it off with confidence and denial, but only after no wiggle room reported it.

ya, I'm sure after a week of nothing, everybody eyes up a nice fat doe and thinks about dumping it to put something in the freezer. And 9 times out of 10 one could probably get away with it. Theres just not enough enforcement out there to be everywhere at once. But most people have the self restraint to do the right thing. Like you said, I'm sure this guy has done it many times and gotten away with it before.

RoscoeP
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
I just got back from that area and have been there the past 4 years, we saw mullie does everyday so he must have seen lots of whitetail does. I know there are some whitetails in the area, we saw some closer to Logan lake on the power lines in past years, but there are more Mule deer in the higher areas. The guy is a dummy and should give his guns away.

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
There are many hunting rounds readily available in 7.62x39.

I have been looking around... Lever, Wanstalls, Canadian Tire, Wholesale, etc. Maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction? Doubt I'll use the SKS for hunting, but would like to stock a few boxes just incase :D

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it's largely about individual self control and intelligence instead of the CORE instructor's capabilities. Gatehouse had it right. No matter how well an instructor teaches a class there is a chance that a person is going to shoot at the first thing that moves out there. Taking the time to identify exactly what you are about to harvest is common sense for 90+% of hunters. It's that last small percentile that gets into hot water.
Totally agree... real world example this weekend.

Pretty sure I passed on a whitetail doe. I have only seen a few of these years ago, but I have seen enough blacktails and mules to be 99% sure it was a whitetail... but 99% isn't good enough for me.

Came in from above a treeline into a valley. Saw a doe 20 yards away. Noticed the ears were more narrow right away... almost pointy. Still quite the white rump, but tail was mostly brown... darker towards the tip by not black, no white on the back of the tail but you could see from the side it was white underneath. Kind of a stocky gal (the whitetails I had seen years ago were more scrawny) It looked different than the other muley does I have been seeing in the region, that's for sure.

It trotted off to the side a little bit, then ran of... thump thump, thump thump... off behind where I came in. I was wondering she had any boyfriends around... something else snorted at me from behind some brush and also booked it. Sounded big. Lots of tracks and fresh poops of various sizes... lots of fresh moose sign too. Seemed like a good area..

Point is, I challenged the CORE. I have spent many hours--more hours than you could cram a half dozen full CORE courses in--specifically looking at whitetail, mule and blacktail pictures/videos and studying characteristics. I know the differences, but I have not seen many whitetails in the field. I'll probably want to see a few more in 3D I can decide with confidence they are not funny looking muleys when I spot them in mule country. It's not the instructor, whether the person took a course or challenged the exam. It's whether the person has ethics/morals versus some slob of a human. As much as I want my first deer, my rifle stayed stayed slung to my shoulder.

Besides, my first deer should be a buck anyway, right?

Cookie1965
10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
I have been looking around... Lever, Wanstalls, Canadian Tire, Wholesale, etc. Maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction? Doubt I'll use the SKS for hunting, but would like to stock a few boxes just incase :D

Wholesale lists that calibre under Remington core-lokt for one.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/ammunition/centerfire/core-lokt-centerfire-rifle-cartridges/prod91045.html

Cookie1965
10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
That pretty crazy.

Well, they wouldn't be the first to play "no-speaka-da-english" to avoid talking to a gwaii-lo :wink:. I've watched people, born and raised here, do the same.

HarryToolips
10-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Seems to be recurring for several years now , almost predictable in the media. Always wonder how much truth to the story , it almost seems like an annual op for hunter bashing. Always seems to be 8 or 10 , always paoched , most times no parts removed ............Hmmm??? Set up ?
Found one myself in region 3-12, a nice little bull, left to rot..called RAPP of course..