PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Rifles

Svedank
10-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi folks. My house in Vancouver was broken into on Tuesday, while I was at work. They took many things, mostly electronics, camera equipment, some liquor... but also my rifles. If ya'll could be on the lookout for:

Remington 700 XCRII chambered in .270 WIN. Black barrel with green synthetic stock and ammo holder on stock. Mounted with Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with flip-up lens caps

Ruger 10/22 stainless/synthetic semi-automatic with cheap fixed 4x Simmons scope

Might be carried around in my stolen acoustic guitar case...

RCMP are on the case but I thought it might help to get the word out to the hunting community. As soon as I can afford to replace them, a gun safe is number one on the shopping list.

Any help appreciated.

Svedank

mike-juliet
10-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Got Serial Numbers?

A close friends safe was broken into last Dec. and they made off with his Gunwerks, Christensen, Sako and some high end Ziess, Leica and Gseven optics, none of them got recovered.

I wish you good luck and I will be on the lookout.

caddisguy
10-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi folks. My house in Vancouver was broken into on Tuesday, while I was at work. They took many things, mostly electronics, camera equipment, some liquor... but also my rifles. If ya'll could be on the lookout for:

Remington 700 XCRII chambered in .270 WIN. Black barrel with green synthetic stock and ammo holder on stock. Mounted with Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with flip-up lens caps

Ruger 10/22 stainless/synthetic semi-automatic with cheap fixed 4x Simmons scope

Might be carried around in my stolen acoustic guitar case...

RCMP are on the case but I thought it might help to get the word out to the hunting community. As soon as I can afford to replace them, a gun safe is number one on the shopping list.

Any help appreciated.

Svedank

Very sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope they are recovered, but it is unlikely. Tragic :(

caddisguy
10-18-2013, 11:51 AM
The idea of some lowlife thief getting their hands on a rifle pisses me off so much. The safe is a good idea and may have--though not with certainty--prevented the rifles from getting stolen, so that is a good idea. You may also consider an alarm and/or motion sensing camera... they are cheap these days and can offload pictures to your email or website as events happen.

Svedank
10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
The idea of some lowlife thief getting their hands on a rifle pisses me off so much. The safe is a good idea and may have--though not with certainty--prevented the rifles from getting stolen, so that is a good idea. You may also consider an alarm and/or motion sensing camera... they are cheap these days and can offload pictures to your email or website as events happen.

Been thinking about a motion sensing camera, or an alarm system. It's a bit of a wake up call to know someone can just bash the door in and have their way with your things. Now knowing this same guy knows where I live, and what's left to cart off that he left behind in the first place, and that he has my guns, is a bit frightening. What do I do? Buy guns to protect my guns? I've never signed onto the idea of using them as a tool for home defense. Living in cities that's best left to the cops, I think.

Svedank

Svedank
10-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Got Serial Numbers?

Yeah, I do. Should I post them here?

hare_assassin
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Been thinking about a motion sensing camera, or an alarm system. It's a bit of a wake up call to know someone can just bash the door in and have their way with your things. Now knowing this same guy knows where I live, and what's left to cart off that he left behind in the first place, and that he has my guns, is a bit frightening. What do I do? Buy guns to protect my guns? I've never signed onto the idea of using them as a tool for home defense. Living in cities that's best left to the cops, I think.

Svedank

Your place is a total "heat score" now. They won't be back unless they are complete idiots. Few successful thieves are that stupid.

Getting an alarm system and/or camera system might be a good idea though. As said, they are affordable and powerful.

More often these days, the way it comes back to you later is when you realize they've also stolen your identity. Be vigilant about that!

Rackem
10-18-2013, 02:59 PM
After my dad died, my mom spent a couple of days with friends. Thieves broke in, and stole her wedding ring, anniversary rings, and a bunch of electronics. They also took a crowbar, and jammed it into the fixed gun safe (bolted to the wall, in a closet) and opened a hole big enough to fish out the guns one by one. They got my dad's Mariner 12 G, his 30-06 and his 300 mag. They were interrupted when my mom came home so they didn't get all the guns.

My mom had an alarm, which they defeated by cutting some wires. Maybe a hidden camera would have at least identified the culprits.

Grumpa Joe
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Your place is a total "heat score" now. They won't be back unless they are complete idiots. Few successful thieves are that stupid.

Getting an alarm system and/or camera system might be a good idea though. As said, they are affordable and powerful.

More often these days, the way it comes back to you later is when you realize they've also stolen your identity. Be vigilant about that!

Actually, there are seasoned thieves who do return because they know that you are likely going to replace everything that they took with new stuff, equivalent or better than what they took in the first place. My brother the cop runs into this scenario with some regularity.

Farmer
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM

And sometimes they wait 2 or 3 months until you have replaced all the stolen merchandise with new stuff and come back to a better score. Sorry for your loss. Man I hate thieves.

Svedank
10-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Actually, there are seasoned thieves who do return because they know that you are likely going to replace everything that they took with new stuff, equivalent or better than what they took in the first place. My brother the cop runs into this scenario with some regularity.

That doesn't sound encouraging. The guy(s) were "smart" enough to come during the day when we were at work. How to make sure to deter them? Alarm system go off when they open the door, visible cameras? I'd rather not have them come in in the first place...

squamishhunter
10-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I've got a safe. I've also got a Rottweiler with his own "beware of dog" sign, and a sticker on the door that says "this house is protected by Smith & Wesson" and I live in a shitty neighborhood. Never had a problem.

Grumpa Joe
10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Do the usual steps as mentioned (alarm, camera, safe for valuables and weapons, and don't advertise what you've got) and ask the neighbours to keep an eye open if anyone stays or works at home during the day. Affects everyone in the area so they have incentive. Get a monitored system as passive alarms are sometimes ignored. By not advertising I mean be careful what you put out in your recycling because packaging will let someone know what new goodies you've acquired. I have made more than one run to the recycling depot to drop off boxes that I don't want the bicycle people to know about. By far the best deterrent, from the people I have spoken to who are in the know, is a dog.

Can't live your life paranoid, take all the precautions that you reasonably can to discourage the buggers and minimize your vulnerability.. Unfortunately if they are really determined to get in they will always find a way.

BearStump
10-18-2013, 05:49 PM
oh man, that sucks. happened to me a few years ago, in the end I just ended up with better rifles anyway but the road to get there sucks. I feel your pain.
I think that any little thing that makes your house less intriguing than the next one helps. why would a thief b+e your place if you hava a loud dog? or an audible alarm? if the next house doesnt?

Redneck Rocket
10-18-2013, 10:13 PM
By far the best deterrent, from the people I have spoken to who are in the know, is a dog.

One of my buddies from my years in FL is a detective with Ft. Lauderdale PD. Believe me when I say, petty crime and theft is a BIG problem in South Florida. He told me that a dog is statistically the best deterrent to burglary. Not even a big-ass Rottweiler, just a dog. They make too much noise, and even though we all ignore car alarms going off, if a dog is going ape-shit people go and check it out. Plus, they all bite.

My wife (before I met her) lived in False Creek and had a burglar come in through the window while she was at home. Our now 14 year old 18lb Jack Russel send him packing with the bite marks to prove it. I have 3 small dogs under 20lbs, and I reckon that just the pandemonium of all 3 of them going nuts would give a thief enough incentive to move on to the next place.

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 10:21 PM
this sucks.
and as bad as shit getting stolen is, it would drive me insane just knowing someone was going through my shit.
replace your toothbrush, you never know what they might have done with it.

jonz
10-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Sorry to hear it. Happened to me a few years back. They got into my former condo in Surrey probably by lock bumping. Opened my cheap gun safe like it was a sardine can. One rifle of the 3 was recovered months later, found in a stolen car in Kelowna. In this case the old gun registry was actually useful. There was even video of the 2 thieves going in and out of the building but the police didn't really seem to do anything about it. Lessons learned: use a good quality gun safe and secure it to the wall well. And if you live in Surrey have a monitored alarm system.

sawmill
10-19-2013, 06:47 AM
One of my buddies from my years in FL is a detective with Ft. Lauderdale PD. Believe me when I say, petty crime and theft is a BIG problem in South Florida. He told me that a dog is statistically the best deterrent to burglary. Not even a big-ass Rottweiler, just a dog. They make too much noise, and even though we all ignore car alarms going off, if a dog is going ape-shit people go and check it out. Plus, they all bite.

My wife (before I met her) lived in False Creek and had a burglar come in through the window while she was at home. Our now 14 year old 18lb Jack Russel send him packing with the bite marks to prove it. I have 3 small dogs under 20lbs, and I reckon that just the pandemonium of all 3 of them going nuts would give a thief enough incentive to move on to the next place.

X 10!!!
I have 2 dogs,90+ pounds each.Believe me,nobody sneaks up on us at night or breaks in when I`m out.Hell,my friends can`t get within 20 feet of my truck when me and Buggy are in it unless I tell her it`s O.K.
I realize for some people a dog is not feasible though.Get a recording of a Rottie losing its mind and hook it up as a burgler alarm.

Tenaka
10-20-2013, 02:35 PM
First of all, your guns are definitely gone. And yes they are in the hands of a shit-rat. The fact that you lost electronics and the guns suggests that they were grabbing everything they could of value to fence for drugs. The guns would have changed hands a bunch of times by now. Serial numbers would be key to keep a watch for the items but it will not get them back. If I can give you any advise, forget the surveillance cams. They just give you good HD pictures of rats in black hoodies. Go with the alarm ( al loud one) Put up a fake exterior video cam with a little red light (they hate those). Hide the guns better and make them so your standard cracker cannot get into them. They pack sawzalls, grinders, bars, and hammers. If they can't find them, they can't take them. Also, get the gun case that cannot be pried open or carried. Bold it down and hide it.

Svedank
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. Taking steps to do all of this... I think a big, solid safe bolted to the floor will be the first step. Still pretty pissed but I've come to terms that I'm not going to see my nice Remmy again... *sniff

Svedank
10-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Here's another question though... the thug took my cleaning kit, hunting knife, ammo, and some miscellaneous odds and ends for gun maintenance. D'you reckon he's just thinking he's going to start hunting? The cleaning kit and solvent etc. aren't worth anything really.

One Shot
10-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Here's another question though... the thug took my cleaning kit, hunting knife, ammo, and some miscellaneous odds and ends for gun maintenance. D'you reckon he's just thinking he's going to start hunting? The cleaning kit and solvent etc. aren't worth anything really.

Start checking the gun ranges.....Maybe he is going shootin.