PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Vanderhoof

NitwiT
10-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Hey all, buddy of mine and I won a bull moose draw in 7-13. Been pounding the roads and bush all around blue mountain. Seen two cows and a calf we couldn't get a crack at. We have seen one mule deer in three long days, both on road and on foot. Looking for some advice on cutting mule deer tags before the end of any buck season. Will drive and walk wherever need be, just need to go home to LMD with something other than bush chicken!

any help appreciated!

Mark

shotgunner
10-17-2013, 09:17 PM
My partner and I spent 10 days in 6 - 1 looking for a bull . All we saw was 2 sets of tracks and wolf sign everywhere. Went south for 100 Km and every hunting camp we saw was the same story except one. Good luck but don't head south on the Kluskus unless you want wolf.

J-Man
10-17-2013, 10:04 PM
My buddies have a WT doe and mulie buck. Camp next to them have 4 moose. That is 12b though I'm at 100 Mile now I'll see what the other news is when I get to camp around 4am

brutus
10-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Friends use to hunt there a lot,they use to call it vandermoose,now they call it vanderwolf

bc_boy
10-18-2013, 06:54 AM
try heading up the highway to fort st James Dog Creek FSR i have seen a few bulls this year but no draw. Just take care because the far back end of the road turns into 7-25 and 6-6 but is well marked. Good luck and straight shooting

Rackem
10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Saw a lot of very nice bulls when driving through Vanderhoof recently, every one of them in people's yards..safer from the wolves I guess.

Wade
10-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Tthhhaaaaattss hunting. The moose are never tied up and waiting even for the worlds best moose hunter

NitwiT
10-18-2013, 08:52 AM
To clarify one thing, I never expected moose to be
an easy hunt. I was expecting to put tons of work in. What has me surprised is the shortage of mule deer. I was expecting to fill a couple tags before we head home in 10 days. Any buck season ends soon, and I was looking for advice on filling those. Then we go back to chasing moose.

Thanks for all the replies that were actually helpful.

Mark

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
vanderhoof ain't exactly a destination i'd choose to find deer.
you'd be better off heading further south.
but, if I were up there for moose, i'd be putting all my time into that.

Jerlynn
10-19-2013, 10:54 PM
I must admit that it's rather weird to see your backyard being chatted about. I actually think you will have better luck finding WTs on blue mountain this year. In the past I've bagged my mule in the area but this year the game cam's really only shown decent WT bucks (there were some small mules). My brother and I have actually both ended up with WTs for the first time now due to the shift in the population. I can't find the cam picture of the bull I had but there are definitely some moose in the area as well. You may want to try Streigler Pit road as this also comes close to the backside of blue mountain area and has been known to have moose on it. I imagine that calf season has brought out a ton of local hunters to pound the roads though so you'll have to compete with them.

B-rad
10-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Try up towards Kenny dam up above fort Fraser 20 min. Drive from vanderhoof to fort Fraser,,,,then head straight up,,,,just as you come to the dam take a right hand turn,,,,,lots of nice little spots from there on

NitwiT
10-20-2013, 08:38 AM
5x7 bull moose down, haven't seen a legal buck yet, gonna head home a week and a half early and head to jelvis' area for mule. Will post the story on the bull later.

did I mention a 5x7 moose down???

Mark

Hank Hunter
10-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Congrats on the moose, never give up.

B-rad
10-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Awesome!!! Can't wait for some pics

xfactor
10-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Well done Mark, you definitely earned it!!!