PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some general mule deer help.

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey guys,

I am not too proud to say that I know NOTHING about mule deer hunting. Coming from a household that considers hunting to be 4 dollars off pork at Save-On, I have had such a difficult time picking through all the information online. (Some say all camo, head to toe. $300 ScentLok carbon suits, wash with UV killing detergent?? etc) If I had recorded the conversation when I called my mother and told her I had a rifle and planned to go hunting it would be an internet sensation.

I just joined these forums because throughout my research I kept ending up here and the knowledge base seemed broad and it actually applied to my area.

So I humbly ask your help, I want to become an active member of a forum with knowledgable and understanding people. You can stop blushing now. This WILL NOT be some forum, how do you say it, one night stand. I want to some day be able to help others although I will be keeping my mouth shut and my ears open for quite some time.

Generally this is where I need guidance, where to hunt. This is probably going to give me so many huffs and haws because surely I don't expect you to give me a GPS location but I want to be somewhere in an area that I have A chance of seeing a deer. It doesn't need to be a parade of them. Just a general area, like "Oh there are lots of deer on the east side of X-12." I just need a place to start.

I am from the Fraser valley but I am willing to travel and hike. I have nobody in my circle of people that hunts but it called to me and I want to give this my best effort, even if that means cashing in some pride and "asking for directions." Any general rules for mule deer helps as I am totally green.

Thanks a million for reading this guys. Have a great evening!
Devon

xtrail
10-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Lots of places nearby, Boston Bar, Clinton, Kamloops, Kelowna, Ashcroft, Princeton, Merritt.

haber
10-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Hunting mule deer is different from white tail they don't usually move with rhyme or reason. They are where you find them. My family and I have hunted around the cache creek area 3-17 for years and have always had success. As far as camo goes it may help to some degree but scent elimination is pretty well impossible as most scent is coming from your mouth. The best advice is to keep the wind in mind while hiking and keep the wind in your face. Don't be discouraged if you come up empty handed. It took me a few years to harvest my first deer.

tundra
10-17-2013, 06:17 PM
#1 Rule for Mule deer is the higher the better. This means in elevation. The big ones are there. The rut will be starting soon so with that find some does and there will be a buck nearby .

Jelvis
10-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Fraser valley don't have mule deer, just blacktail deer.
So if you want mule deer as close to the valley as possible you go to?
1. Up the Hwy 3 Crowsnest to the Pasayten River mu 8-04
2. Up the Hwy 1 to Lytton up Botanie Creek Mu 3-17
3. Up the Hwy 5 the Coq to Exit 250 Larson Hill Mu 3-13
Those are the closest in general to the Fraser Valley.
Jello Hello

shadowhunter
10-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Grab a backroads mapbook thomson okanagan edition. Got to the kamloops map, pick an fsr and go! Remember to be safe and walk slowly with your ears and eyes open. A few fsr's to check out are Jameson at the north end of westsyde road, whipsaw road outside of princeton, and skagit. These places are busy but all hold deer. 90% of the hunters stick to the road, just go for a hike and you will see twice as much.

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies so quickly! The distance and being close to the Fraser Valley doesn't even matter. Actually, I wouldn't mind not seeing people for once! I assume farther away from people the better.

So how would I go about applying the elevation statement. Look on topo maps and climb to the highest peak :confused: I feel like I am getting good information but I am having trouble actually turning that into a plan. I have looked around this forum and people with similar questions get similar answers. Some poor fella's have half of the province listed off to them. I guess that's whats expected online.

If someone wouldn't mind sharing a couple secrets then private message me if you don't want it spread around. I don't know.
Feels like I am peeing in the wind! :tongue:

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Thank you for your help! I scouted whipsaw on Tuesday, and by scouting I drove up there and talked to some other hunters. They said the long weekend was like "WW3". One fellow said "There were more shots taken than a friday night at a club". Thanks for the FSR map idea. I kinda figured I would have to spend on one of those.

Buckmeister
10-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the sport and the site!

Mule deer are a bitter-sweet animal to hunt. When you spot your very first one, you congratulate yourself for a good job, then soon realize after studying the deer for a few minutes that they are really not that smart. The bigger ones are more reclusive sure, but still still no where on par with the wiliness of whitetails.

It's true, they can turn up just about anywhere. And if they turn and run, just wait paitiently for a few seconds (if you didn't spook them too bad), they will usually slow down and stop to look at you again, turning complete broadside in the process! Old native legend tells that if an animal turns broadside to you, it is offering itself up to you. Actually, in the bush, I have driven, not walked, within 10 feet of them and not have them spook, walking is a different manner.

Camo is a state of mind. If your fully decked out in camo and dancing a riverdance, expect the game to run away. But if your in regular clothes, regardless of color and pattern, and stand very still, they will walk right past you!!!! I had it happen to me. The wind was in my favour on the deers approach. It wasn't till he got 20 yards past me, both of us still in the wide open, that I deer called to him, he turned around and looked right past me looking for the other deer, then his nose twitched a few times and he bolted once he smelled me....but he NEVER saw me!!!!

During the rut, if you find some does, watch them very carefully as a buck might be very close behind. In early season to mid season, bucks tend to gather together in bachelor groups. So if you see a few small bucks, don't shoot the first one you see, cause a much bigger one might be close by. Have patience. And yes, mule deer can be called to, but they don't respond the same way white tails do.

Buckmeister
10-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Watch ridges and south facing slopes too, deer tend to bed down with warmth and a nice view sometimes.

recoil
10-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Just to throw in my 2 cents i think its more about "when" you hunt rather han "where". Almost everywhere in region 3,5 and 8 hold some deer. Do not sleep in, and dont give up early last hour of daylight the deer seem to be everywhere.

dana
10-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Don't worry about the elevation statement. When you ask open question on the Internet you have to be able to filter some of the info. I'll help ya out and filter that one for you. Mule deer occur at all elevations in the summer months but are found at mid to low elevations from mid oct through till spring. Typically south facing Douglas fir slopes are a good place to start looking. If there are some pockets of aspen and birch all the better. The more you learn about the species the easier the hunting will be. Some good books out there that will help ya out. Mule Deer Country by Valerius Geist. Public Land Mulies by David Long. Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman. Mule Deer Behavior, Ecology, Conservation by Erwin and Peggy Bauer. All these books are great reads for both the beginner and the experienced hunter.

Jelvis
10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Read my lips
Scottie Creek road 18 km north of Cache Creek on Hwy 97 turn right (east) ok? lol.
Good mule deer and not bad for moose.
You want me to take you there and hold your hand lol
Jel .. Get up out of bed, get in vehicle, drive to Scottie Creek road and drive up, look I see a deer hahah lol.
Don't try to make it diffy cult, it's only hunting, but we like it.
We like it,

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Well if you are offering... :roll:
Thanks for the help guys, learning a lot!

Sitkaspruce
10-17-2013, 07:15 PM
If you tell us a joke (standing directive for all new members), you will get a lot more info.....LOL

Lots of good info on here. And some guys on here really know their stuff when it comes to muleys, you will just need to filter out the usual stuff to read the good stuff.

Welcome to the site and good luck

Cheers

SS

frenchbar
10-17-2013, 07:19 PM
read my lips
scottie creek road 18 km north of cache creek on hwy 97 turn right (east) ok? Lol.
Good mule deer and not bad for moose.
jel .. Get up out of bed, get in vehicle, drive to scottie creek road and drive up, look i see a deer hahah lol.
Don't try to make it diffy cult, it's only hunting, but we like it.
We like it,

pay attention tho ...or you'll be kissing the window ...its like a freeway up there...quads..minivans .unimogs .motorcycles..jacked up chevys with browning stickers pasted all over the back windows ..its a frikken zoo ..

.330 Dakota
10-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Well first you have to be HeadingOutside,,,, cause theres no deer inside,,,,sorry had to

keithb7
10-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Get out there, put some miles on and enjoy the country side. Sometimes it feels like it all comes down to just being at the right place at the right time. I can visit an area many times hunting and not see a buck. I go there out of season and see them! I have spent hours sneaking into an area in the dark, quietly hiking, or sitting still in camo, and not see a buck. Next week at work you hear about the guy who drove logging roads one day, spotted a beauty wide 4 pt at noon standing forty yards from the road in a clear cut. He stopped the truck, got out and dropped the buck, in the exact same area where you saw nothing. The mule deer are out there all over the place. Seems like you always see photos and hear about the area where another big one was dropped. You may be inclined to run out to each and all of these areas you hear about, to find your own 4 pt. When I was new I found I wanted to do this. A few years later, and many many countless hours of hunting later, I don't bother. They are out there almost everywhere it seems. You just gotta be in the right place at the right time sometimes. Pick a town on the map where you may want to go. Get a Spot and a back roads book and head out in any direction. You'll find them eventually. Other than the lower mainland, any town in BC is probably, seriously 10 mins away from hunting on crown land. It's a big Province, get out and enjoy it!

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 07:26 PM
A joke huh? I don't know the tolerances around here as many of my jokes are somewhat crude. So DISCLAIMER BE NOTED. If you continue to read you have no right to an opinion! :wink:
--------------------------------------------
How are women like hurricanes?

When they show up they are wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

-------------------------------------------
Nothing sexist intended, just a joke. Hopefully the last part of the hurricane doesn't apply to any of you folks out there. No, of course not.

Weatherby Fan
10-17-2013, 07:26 PM
pay attention tho ...or you'll be kissing the window ...its like a freeway up there...quads..minivans .unimogs .motorcycles..jacked up chevys with browning stickers pasted all over the back windows ..its a frikken zoo ..

I will have to agree with frenchbar as it is very busy in there, if you don't mind walking it can be ok as you can get away from the crowds.

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Well first you have to be HeadingOutside,,,, cause theres no deer inside,,,,sorry had to

Haha, well I am glad someone just got it out of the way!

HeadingOutside
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I will have to agree with frenchbar as it is very busy in there, if you don't mind walking it can be ok as you can get away from the crowds.
Definitely not interested in a "zoo" although I still appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

frenchbar
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
just getting to your walking spot can have its moments ..haha

Weatherby Fan
10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
just getting to your walking spot can have its moments ..haha

I just leave an hour before daylight so I can put some distance between me and them...........run WF run before the shootin starts !

Jelvis
10-17-2013, 07:50 PM
MU 3-32
Carpenter Lake has (good mule deer range) just above the main road above the lake.
Get out and walk along the ridges above the main road, BOOM!
Bridge River in MU 3-32
Take note: Main access to this rugged, funtastic hunting habby tat, is on Bridge River Road which goes up from the shores of the mighty Fraser River about 12 k north of Lillooet. Keep driving about 25.5 km from this here junction, the road swings down to cross the Yalakom River. Go straight ahead Fred, the road runs along this river and goes for 30, 40 k and more if you like. The ridges above this here road are, drum rolllllll ------(super muley ridges) Bo Bridges. Good mules Jules.
Now get outside and shake your sorry assed fat booty. This road
connects to (Big Bar Creek) -- McKay Creek -- Lillooet Road -- want a toad?
Dah headwaters of the Yalakom have sheep and moose also.
Jelly Yalakom River .. MU 3-32 is preemo del ah reemo - Cuz Stone Cold said So

Rob Chipman
10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Big Bar Road, closer to the ferry, but still at the top of the hill (east side of Jesmond School) - saw a lot of deer, including a few bucks, on the road after dark. Probably find them in daytime if you got out and walked. Lots of private land closer to the ferry, but more open land where I'm talking about.

In fact, saw a monster on that road close to the Clinton end last Saturday night (coming back from buying moose butchering supplies like twine and beer). They're around.

Dana: thanks for those book titles. Good stuff.

Dre
10-17-2013, 09:33 PM
A joke huh? I don't know the tolerances around here as many of my jokes are somewhat crude. So DISCLAIMER BE NOTED. If you continue to read you have no right to an opinion! :wink:
--------------------------------------------
How are women like hurricanes?

When they show up they are wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

-------------------------------------------
Nothing sexist intended, just a joke. Hopefully the last part of the hurricane doesn't apply to any of you folks out there. No, of course not.

I like it, so did my wife :). So here's my 2 cents:

I'm a big fan of mountain back pack mule deer hunting, thats 90% of my hunting, but if you are just starting out, I would suggest road hunting coupled with short hikes. When you kill an animal way off the beaten path, it gets complicated and you need some know-how and good equipement. So, road hunting.......head out before daylight and hunt till close to lunch, back to camp for some grubb/rest, head out about 2-3hrs before dark and hunt till dusk. Repeat as nessecary :). As for locations, the forementioned are all good IMO, you will see people everywhere there is roads, don't be disscouraged, just keep your eyes open and try spots that look good and are just off the main roads. Just out of sight from the road. Good Luck.

mod7rem
10-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I have the best luck when I hunt steep fir timbered hillsides with ridges either above rivers or benches. Even in sage brush country I do best when i find the steep stuff. Move super slow and sit lots when you have a view. Camo is just a fashon trend and isnt necessary in hunting, its mostly to hide from other hunters. Deer eyes are designed to pick up movement and its your movement and noise that usually busts you.

skibum
10-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Head out in the bush, don't get too frustrated your first few times out, enjoy the time in the bush.

Get some experience

HeadingOutside
10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, honestly. I'm heading out this afternoon for a couple days of scouting in the kamloops/barrier area. A couple guys on HBC suggested some spots and I am going to see if there is such thing as beginners luck. I am keeping my expectations low, just going out for a drive and a bit of a hike.

I will let you know how I did and what I saw. Thanks again, you gave me a great place to start and a lot of enthusiasm!

specbelly
10-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Heading Outside: We are heading up to 3-18 and 3-19 this weekend. Care to come along

v-king
10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm a total newb too. I don't have any expectations yet...I simply go out for hikes in the bush. The fact that I have a licence/tags and can bring my rifle with me gives me a sense of security and a piece of mind. If and when I actually come across something and take my first deer it will be a bonus. In the mean time I'm perfectly happy just to be out there.

v-king
10-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Camo is just a fashon trend and isnt necessary in hunting, its mostly to hide from other hunters. Deer eyes are designed to pick up movement and its your movement and noise that usually busts you.

If you already have everyday clothing that is suitable for wet, cold weather that's tough and quiet. By all means use it BUT, if you don't and ur shopping for it, camo will be your best bet and not so much for its patterns. Its brethable waterproof, tough, warm and quiet. It might also make you less noticeable in the woods.

HeadingOutside
10-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Hey guys, just came back from 3-19 north of merrit. Just figured the best thing to do was to start somewhere and see which way the wind blows.

Saw plenty of deer in the female variety. I was on an FSR named Swakum I believe. I think it receives a bit of pressure being so close to town but I felt that it really helped get a couple skills developed. A doe and her fawn walked into the clearing I was watching and came within 30 yards of me and she never noticed. At the risk of sounding totally corny it was one of the most "magical" experiences I have had with wildlife.

I have said it a thousand times but thanks guys for all the responses and tips. I had some of them in the back of my head when I was looking for deer out there.
Happy hunting,
Devon

boxhitch
10-21-2013, 07:01 AM
it was one of the most "magical" experiences I have had with wildlife. Not corny at all , thats what it is all about IMO. You are on the right track , experience is the best teacher.

stosto
11-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Hey guys, just came back from 3-19 north of merrit. Just figured the best thing to do was to start somewhere and see which way the wind blows.

Saw plenty of deer in the female variety. I was on an FSR named Swakum I believe. I think it receives a bit of pressure being so close to town but I felt that it really helped get a couple skills developed. A doe and her fawn walked into the clearing I was watching and came within 30 yards of me and she never noticed. At the risk of sounding totally corny it was one of the most "magical" experiences I have had with wildlife.

I have said it a thousand times but thanks guys for all the responses and tips. I had some of them in the back of my head when I was looking for deer out there.
Happy hunting,
Devon

haha, so bad. So things are best not said. Thanks for starting this thread da, good info for sure! cheers

Sofa King
11-06-2013, 06:51 PM
if that magical moment got your blood pumping, just wait til a big buck walks out into view.
there's nothing like it.