PDA

View Full Version : Trouble bear

Brizz
10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm having an issue with a bear coming into my yard at night and messing with garbage and other stuff. I have a very large ravine behind my place that I believe the bear is currently living in. It's comes out at around last light...

I have neighbors on either side - although I live out of the city center a bit I am not in the country.

What is the legality of putting an arrow into this bear? I have a tag, I have a license... The regs state to refer to city bylaws for discharge of a weapon but I do not see a specific bylaw for my city (Summerland).

Thoughts?

Ltbullken
10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Garbage and other stuff??

How about just get rid of the "garbage and other stuff"? That is an attractant to the bear. Get rid of it, no reason for the bear to come into your yard...

Just sayin'...

adriaticum
10-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Very simply phone your city bylaw dept. and ask. You can very likely find the firearms discharge bylaw on their website too.

Sitkaspruce
10-17-2013, 02:10 PM
First off, where us your garbage?? If it is easily accessable to the bear and that includes in a wooden box, you have limited rights to shoot the bear and can actually be given a Dangerous Wildlife Protection Order, which you will have to secure your garbage to be bear proof and make sure all other attractants are also bear proof.

Call a CO and have them come out to take a look, see what suggestions that can give you to ensure that if the bear returns, you have a legal right to shoot it. They may also set up a rap to catch the bear. Also have a tag and make sure your town/city allows that sort of thing.

Nowdays, the shooting of problem wildlife is looked at with the defence of the wildlife, not the home owner. Of course this changes with threat to human life.

Cheers

SS

skibum
10-17-2013, 02:15 PM
1. remove garbage
2. put out apples / peaches / plums
3. repeat #2 every day for 2-3 weeks
4. arrow bear
5. eat bear

boxhitch
10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
4. build treat trail into the kitchen
5. arrow bear
6. eat bear

Kudu
10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
1. remove garbage
2. put out apples / peaches / plums
3. repeat #2 every day for 2-3 weeks
4. arrow bear
5. eat bear

Don't report it to the Co's not unless you want it shot. Look at what they did to that bear in surrey a couple of weeks ago - this could one of its cubs scrounging out a living in Langley boondocks.....

Brizz
10-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I should change my location... I moved to Summerland.

It's not known as an area where bears reside. The garbage is now being brought in every night since we first saw it taken and then I found prints and a huge pile of shit in the backyard...

The 'stuff' would be a compost we have in the backyard - might have to get rid of that.

Sitkaspruce
10-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Yup, even compost is an "Attractant" and would be writen up. I know of people in the Bella Coola valley who got written up becuase the did not bear proof their chicken coop or pick up their fruit off the ground.

Cleaning up your attractants will go a long way towards you being able to deal with the bear.

Cheers

SS

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2013, 04:13 PM
If you can legally discharge your bow where you live, you still need to be further than 100m from your neighbours' building(s) where they reside to actually "hunt".

Of course, you'll need to have the bear show up in legal light on top of all this.

Personally, I wouldn't want to chance having a wounded bear running around a neighbourhood.

SSS

mwalter
10-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Get a can of bear spray cover it in peanut butter or syrup place in yard set up a camera and enjoy the footage.

.300WSMImpact!
10-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Get a can of bear spray cover it in peanut butter or syrup place in yard set up a camera and enjoy the footage.

lol thats funny

Brizz
10-18-2013, 09:37 AM
hahaha, thanks for the tips guys. I'll call the co and leave it at that - You're right - I definitely don't want a wounded bear wandering around my neighborhood.