PDA

View Full Version : shood i or shood i not

shawn28
01-28-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=462&id=1&ps_session=4c6a240976d17e46d7537d1ceabeeb0e45bcf6b a

if any of you have thses 2 way radios tell me if its woth gettin them

Amphibious
01-28-2007, 12:33 PM
should S H O U L D

;)

Marc
01-28-2007, 12:33 PM
It all depends on what you want to use them for. I've got a set of the motorola GMRS and they work fine as long as there isn't a mountain between you and your partner. If it's just you and your buddy a km or so away in the next clearing it probably would be fine.

I've used them with my wife in the camper while I was out hunting a km or so away from her and we had no problem, but different terrain will give different results.

Chuck
01-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Cobra is a good name. If that's the Cdn price I think you can't go wrong when you consider all the features plus spare ion battery. I've got old motorolas, and the ni-cads are $149.95 each, but I can't just toss'em. It's your call - IMO they seem impressive compared to others I've checked on. I wished we had these back when - now I think nobody should go out hunting without them. Can save a lot of time & trouble and maybe even a life.

ruger#1
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
i have a pair of Motorola's, and i cannot get them to work with the cobras. but the radios work fine .mine are the 20 kms model and i tried talking to my buddy 4k away, and he couldn't here me just scratching. i think they might be off frequency a little bit . anyone else have this problem.

Murder
01-28-2007, 12:56 PM
i have a pair of Motorola's, and i cannot get them to work with the cobras. but the radios work fine .mine are the 20 kms model and i tried talking to my buddy 4k away, and he couldn't here me just scratching. i think they might be off frequency a little bit . anyone else have this problem.

RTFM:lol: I remember reading it in my manual, as I have motorola too. Just can't remeber how to do it. I think it may have to do with the privacy codes.

tuchodi
01-28-2007, 01:04 PM
We use Cobra's in our camp and last year on of the guy's bought one of the new ones with Lithium batterys. Didn't work any better than the 14 mile range ones. The only thing was we could use double A's in ours and when he ran out of power he had to go back to the other cobras with replaceable batteries. This may no be a problem for some but we dont have any access to electricity for a month. We have used them over a distance of aprox 7 miles but that was with not to much hilly country. In hills we get at least 3 mile coverage.

ruger#1
01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Forgot to mention my buddy is using a cobra and I'm using a Motorola.

Schmaus
01-28-2007, 01:22 PM
as long as both radios are gmrs, they should work together no matter what the brands are. The privacy codes screw up a lot of people. You just have to reset all the radios and go to the same channels

ruger#1
01-28-2007, 01:33 PM
we have done that. we have had frs radios that have done the same thing.

Chuck
01-28-2007, 05:46 PM

My Motorolas are sport model. One channel & only hear each other. Were +$500. It's the d888 ni-cad batteries that are the problem. These are pre FRS radios and I've never had another problem. I'm going to try NimH stacked with seprate charger - maybe, just maybe!

Benthos
01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
i have some cheap cobra's i bought a few years ago. they have a rechargable pack and are only good up to 5km (I think I got them on sale for like $30).

so far they have done the trick. if a buddy and i are split up they work well. i found they are only good up to maybe 3-4km

sawmill
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
My wife bought me a pair of Cobra Micros for christmas and I love them.27 Km range,voice activated ,22 channels,tone or vibrater,scanner and a bunch of other stuff I haven`t figured out yet.I talked to her from 9 miles out of town as clear as a bell.Of course big hills will always cut down your range but for 2 guys hunting or on my boat as a ship to shore they are great.And tiny,cell phone size and quite inexpensive.

KevinB
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
The only thing I would say, is to think about the battery type...there are some models out there that take AA batteries, which IMHO is a must. Once your lithium battery dies on you in the bush you're done, and a lot of the newer, higher power GMRS radios go through batteries at a fair clip. If you have a model that uses AA's, you can just buy some more AA's and always have spares. Heck, if you make sure your headlamp and radio use the same batteries you don'e have to carry separate spares for each one. I have purchased some rechargeable alkaline batteries (check out the "Pure Energy" brand brand batteries and chargers at London Drugs, etc.), that last longer than NiMH rechargeables in low-drain devices like radios. They are pretty cheap. Just my opinion, I tend to dislike any electronic device which uses a proprietary battery.

Also I see these ones have a selectable "roger beep" - that's a real bonus, that beep is pretty loud and can carry a long way in the bush. On a lot of the cheaper radios you can't turn this off (i.e. a lot of the Motorola models).

I have a set of Cobra's that I bought at Costco, the set included 2 radios, 2 sets of rechargeable AAA batteries, and 2 earpieces for ~ $70 CAD. They have selectable beep, keypad beep on/off, hi/low power, scan, privacy channels, water resistant, etc. The price was right and they had all the features I wanted.

sawmill
01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Sounds like my set and they have an auto shut off in to save the batts.