PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal in a Woodstove

MuleyStalker
10-17-2013, 08:00 AM
I recently had a friend tell me that if you wanted to keep your woodstove burning all night, just throw a bag of charcoal in before you go to bed. An internet search provided me with mixed opinions so I figured I'd ask you guys? Any experience with this? $5 for a bag of charcoal sounds tempting if I don't have to get up in the night to stoke the fire.

mike-juliet
10-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Sounds like an interesting idea to me, I'd also like to hear some answers on this.

Steeleco
10-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Sounds expensive, It's been some time since I bought charcoal but it sure wasn't $5 at my buddies place we just put in a nice round and close the damper and flute right down. Sure it's cooler in the morning, but a fresh piece of split wood and open the vents and the place it toasty in no time.

boxhitch
10-17-2013, 09:34 AM
No reason it wouldn't work. Have considered the same idea in a compact small stove, too small for a good fire log.
Briquette BBQ's have lots of hot coals 10 - 12 hours after lighting.

takla1
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Old bricklayers trick,works well on a stove that's been lined with fire-brick but don't use it up against the bottom metal of a camps stove it will burn out the metal quickly.,always best to put a steel grill in the bottom of metal fire box's to keep the heat elevated a bit away from the metal.

Taylor69
10-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Had a welder make us an airtight stove for the canvas tent. Burns a good 8 hrs when turned down. Will take a 8-10 inch rounds! I think it cost us 170.00ish. Built to last a life time.

B.C.Boy(100%)
10-17-2013, 01:21 PM
I took a 30lbs propane tank and turned it into a wood stove for the POS camper I bought last year, it's a small opening 6"x6", the tank stands up right, putting 16"pieces is no problem, they just go in and up, and sit vertically and fall down as it burns.
However being a small space you don't want to fill it too much or it will be roasting, not what I want during the night while I sleep, so I took a small MJB coffee can perforated it and fill it full to the brim with wood pellets, set the can down on a good bed coals before bed, and stays going all night, just enough to keep the chill out over night.
In the morning I dump the remains from the can in the stove and toss a few pieces of small wood and some bigger pieces, and walla I have a good fire going again in no time.
My next propane tank stove project will be horizontal with a flat top for cooking, but for now this one is doing the trick, getting kind of lazy these days with it during the surfing season, no more changing in the rain or the snow.

I have used charcoal in it as well with no issues.

MuleyStalker
10-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I have a Colorado Cylinder stove with an internal grate but the slots are probably big enough for the briquettes to fall through so I might hold off on the charcoal. If I get brave enough to try it, I'll let you know. Where did you get your stove built Taylor69? That sounds like a good price for an air tight stove built to last a lifetime. I have friends that would be interested in something like that.

Buckmeister
10-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Are you asking about a woodstove for the house, or for camping?

My answer will be in regards for the house. I have no idea about charcoal. A modern airtight stove brought up to proper temperature for efficiency with a decent size woodbox should burn through the night no problem. I can get 12 hours out of my stove with enough coals left over to throw a few small sticks on to get it going again in the morning. If I burn fir I can get up to 10 hours, birch or larch will give me the 12 hours. A denser heavier stick of wood will produce more BTU's than a lighter stick of wood the same physical size. All wood, it's all the same, pound for pound will produce the same amount of BTU's. So a ton of pine will have larger physical presence then a ton of oak, but give off the same amount of energy when burned. That's why I try to avoid lighter woods like pine and spruce, I can get a longer burn out of heavier wood and my supply lasts longer. Fir is great, but I will pass it over for Birch or Larch any day.

Homemade stoves sound cool and cheap, but no insurance company will ever cover you in the case of a house fire without proper certification. A high efficiency stove will produce little to no smoke and very little creosote, so it's better for the environment and safer too, plus you get the most out of the wood you burn. I can't remember the percentage, but an incredible amount of heat is lost through the chimney, and smoke equals lost fuel, kinda like a diesel engine blowing black exhaust. So get a high efficiency stove that will get up to tempurature and start that secondary burn of the exhaust gases (ie. smoke).

I expend enough energy getting my wood supply, so I want to get the most out of what I collect.

dhog
10-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I made one out of a 20lb grease barrel 30" long 14" diameter It will burn all night and weights only 20lb

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
10-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Interesting idea!

I have not tried it myself, yet given the vessel can handle the heat it sounds like it is worth a try in the least. Charcoal can be made to avoid the high cost of $5 prr day.

MuleyStalker
10-18-2013, 08:06 AM
So with a little more research I found out that Colorado Cylinder Stoves can handle charcoal but you need to get a gasket kit to ensure that it's air tight.