PDA

View Full Version : ShadowHunters first deer!

shadowhunter
10-16-2013, 09:52 PM
First off, Id like to thank the members of this site who have helped me in my short hunting career. I do not come from a hunting family and through this site and a few buddies I have taken up this wonderful activity.

Friday evening I found myself and two hunting buddies headed for Kamloops from the lower mainland. As we drove up with Carrie Underwood blasting we pulled into our motel where we got comfortable in our room and scoured over maps and ariel photos of our possible hunting grounds. We decided that a group of cut blocks behind a hill backing on to a lake would be our preferred morning destination. My buddies uncle said the place held a few bucks and that there was good sign in the area. Saturday morning at 5:00 we packed our gear and did a quick timmies run and off the the fsr we were headed. As we pulled off of the pavement we turned off the Taylor Swift and rolled the windows down. Light snow fell as we saw a few deer feeding in the field by the highway. It was to dark to see any antlers and we decided to keep driving up the dirt road. The cold air nipped our cheeks as the sun broke over the horizon, I had a feeling it was going to be a good day. We have been planning this trip for months and we all got the long weekend off school and work to make it happen. As we climbed the mountain slowly cruising we found a few deer tracks in the frozen mud, they were old but still a good sign to see. The trucks tires crushed the ice puddles as we continued to ascend the hill. We were coming to a hairpin turn along the main road and my buddy says "Buck!" There he was, standing on the side of the road. I slipped out of the truck and loaded my rifle. My breath swirled in the brisk mountain air as I raised the rifle to my cheek. Life turned slow as my peripherals narrowed. I lined up the crosshairs in the boiler room and squeezed the trigger. The adrenaline numbed the bark of the rifle. The deer kicked out its hind legs like a bull at a rodeo and vanished into the brush. I chambered another round as the deer disappeared. I turned to my buddies who were all grins and did a mini fist pump. As I walked up to where I had last seen the deer, I saw bright red blood lining the shrubs off the side of the road. I planned on giving the deer a few minuets to die, but my nerves got the best of me and I slowly and silently followed the blood trail. As I walked through the thick brush I heard a rustling sound and peered over to see my deer staggering below me. Another quick shot behind the neck put him to the ground. I raised my arms and let out a big "YEEHAW!" the boys soon followed the trail to me and after a few hi fives we gutted the dear and loaded it into the truck. You couldn't remove the smile on our faces as we drove to the meat cooler.

http://rs1059.pbsrc.com/albums/t425/BCoutdoorsmen/Brettsfirstbuck.jpg~320x480?t=1381985404

coach
10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your first buck! The excitement really comes through in your recollection of the story. Great going!

Picture instructions are in my signature..

shadowhunter
10-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Congrats on your first buck! The excitement really comes through in your recollection of the story. Great going!

Picture instructions are in my signature..

Im close....

Davy Crockett
10-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift?! If I didn't know better I'd think it was my 14 yo daughter posting.

Just teasing :)

Congrats on the buck. You are one ahead of me.

coach
10-17-2013, 12:44 AM
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t425/BCoutdoorsmen/Brettsfirstbuck.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/BCoutdoorsmen/media/Brettsfirstbuck.jpg.html)

Buckmeister
10-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Well done guys! The best is yet to come.

kennyj
10-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Congratulations on your first buck. Very exciting day.
kenny

buckguy
10-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Congrats on your first buck. Sounds like a good time was had.

KB90
10-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Congratulations on your first deer!

doubled
10-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Congrats on a memory of a lifetime. Welcome to the club.

Jelvis
10-17-2013, 08:37 AM
You got one and it's a goody -- congratulations deer Hunter.
Jel --- The Shadow

shadowhunter
10-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift?! If I didn't know better I'd think it was my 14 yo daughter posting.

Just teasing :)

Congrats on the buck. You are one ahead of me.

Haha its our secret guilty pleasure, suprisingly we know most the words :P

Thanks everyone for your compliments! Much appreciated. Now im planning for a solo November deer trip! Getting stoked!

Sitkaspruce
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Congrats on your first buck of many!!!

How did the rest of the trip go??

Cheers

SS

ElliotMoose
10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Congrats on your first buck and some good eats!

shadowhunter
10-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Congrats on your first buck of many!!!

How did the rest of the trip go??

Cheers

SS

The rest of the trip was awesome. We only saw one other buck, but my partner couldn't get a shot off before it bounced away. We also saw 20+ does, and we got a handful of grouse. Lots of laughs were had by the campfire as we bs'd about life and on the way back to Vancouver we even planned a tentative fishing trip for next June. My buddies are in university so its not easy for them to get time off, so Im thankful that they could spend this weekend hunting with me! All in all it was a great trip and a memorable experience.

markt308
10-17-2013, 09:09 AM
congrats man thats a great feeling

nano
10-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Well done, congrats on The first buck!