PDA

View Full Version : I've shot a deer... now what?

elfhunter
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi! I am new to the sport and to this forum. I am preparing for an upcoming hunt for Mule deer with a buddy of mine. I don't have the space/experience/confidence to butcher my own meat, so I wish to bring it somewhere descent/reputable close to where I live. (Mission, B.C.) Can you guys suggest where I should bring my meat once I come back to town, and what the protocol would be? (Do I make an appointment or just show up) My second question (which should have been my first) is after I have shot, cleaned and skinned my deer we may end up hunting for a few more days after the hunt. (fill my buddy's tag) What is the proper way to keep the meat from spoilage? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your time...

caddisguy
10-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Check out the meat cutters list (top sticky thread in this section)

I'll leave the second part of your question for someone who has done it... though I'd guess if it's cold enough you can leave the quarters hanging deer socks. I think most people use some black pepper and diluted vinegar as well.

remington666
10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
remember to mark your tag right after shooting your deer ,gut it, hang it and skin it ,depending on the temperature ,if it is below freezing you are good ,if above zero find shade and hang and wrap your deer in cheese cloth to keep the bugs off ,you should be good for a couple of days .Just make sure to keep it out of direct sunshine and as for a meat cutter i recomend Ennis farm in langley Mark is a good guy but closer to home for you is Sumas meats in abotsford which is a good place place if you get to deal with the son ulli .good luck

monasheemountainman
10-16-2013, 05:52 PM
it will be cool enough pretty much anywhere to hang your deer for multiple days. if there are bugs keep them off by putting clean pillow cases or game bags over the meat. when its cool I sometimes leave the skin on for a day or two before skinning it. just keep the meat as clean as you can. good luck!

rocksteady
10-16-2013, 05:59 PM
With the cold temps (-5) that we have been having, bugs should not be a huge issue.... As others have said gut it, skin it, clean it, wrap it, monitor it. Call the butcher and give him a heads up you are coming, they appreciate that....

Don't forget to leave of evidence of sex and species, if you have to knock it in half or cut the head off...

just about time for a big old game check enforcement blitz.... Do everything by the book and it will be smooth sailing... If not sure, reread the book, again and again....

Finally, as soon as you can get to a computer, post pics and the story
good luck.....

Merch
10-16-2013, 06:07 PM
^^^ What they said. If there's a chance of rain, make sure you have a tarp to keep it dry.

It also helps having a clean tarp to wrap the meat in (leave it in the game bags or old bed sheets) for the drive home. Keeps the dust/dirt/rain off it.

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 06:10 PM
IMO, the thing to good tasting game is to get it skinned and into a game bag within the first few hours after shooting it....carry a small tarp in your hunting bag to aid in keeping the animal clean when gutting and skinning. The hide will hold a lot of heat in the meat, getting it off quickly in warm weather is paramount to cooling and ending up with the tasiesty meat possible. Deer, moose and elk if properly cared for will beat any beef for taste if properly cared for.

frenchbar
10-16-2013, 06:11 PM
you know if you have a kitchen table it don't take much to cut up a deer....google 'cutting up a deer'....watch it a few times..and bobs your uncle .. give it a try ..save your self some money

Weatherby Fan
10-16-2013, 06:20 PM
you know if you have a kitchen table it don't take much to cut up a deer....google 'cutting up a deer'....watch it a few times..and bobs your uncle .. give it a try ..save your self some money

Frenchie is right, any of the animals we have taken in the last few years we have cut up ourselves, a deer takes no time at all, I wrap it in Saran wrap then with butchers paper.
WF

adriaticum
10-16-2013, 06:54 PM

Oh no, it's very complicated and it should be attempted only by highly trained professionals

BCKyle
10-16-2013, 07:08 PM
I had all the same questions last year and it worked out. Do what these guys said and don't forget the high fives right before you field dress it: improves the flavour!

also I butchered my deer and it really isn't that hard; just have sharp knives (a cheap fillet knife will work) and stop to sharpen halfway through if you're hitting a lot of bone. Have a kitchen scale handy for easy measuring out of 1-3 lb portions. Having a buddy there helps too, and makes it more fun and about half as long.

elfhunter
10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Thank-you everyone for your advice. I will draw from all advice that has been offered. This year I still plan on dropping my deer off at a butcher, but my buddy intends on butchering his own (if we are fortunate enough to tag 2), so I will give him a hand and treat it as a learning experience. Thanks again.