PDA

View Full Version : hunting near castlegar?

RustyRipper
10-16-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm just on my way down from hunting up north with my cousin who unfortunately had to leave early. We were unsuccesful and left with our tails between our legs. So my wife flew up and we decided to drive down together and make a road trip out of it. We've ended up down in the Kootenay's and are going to stay a night around nelson or castlegar. We have a day or two to spare and wondering if there are any good areas to hunt around there. I have tags for everything and all unclipped except a whitetail I did manage to shoot earlier on this month. Any help would be appreciated as I've never been out this way before.

604redneck
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
U shot a region 4 whitetail?

f350ps
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
How did you get that out of what he said, jumping to conclusion maybe? K

monasheemountainman
10-16-2013, 03:25 PM
How did you get that out of what he said, jumping to conclusion maybe? K or maybe hes just suggesting he could shoot another whitetail in region 4

monasheemountainman
10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm just on my way down from hunting up north with my cousin who unfortunately had to leave early. We were unsuccesful and left with our tails between our legs. So my wife flew up and we decided to drive down together and make a road trip out of it. We've ended up down in the Kootenay's and are going to stay a night around nelson or castlegar. We have a day or two to spare and wondering if there are any good areas to hunt around there. I have tags for everything and all unclipped except a whitetail I did manage to shoot earlier on this month. Any help would be appreciated as I've never been out this way before. I have never hunted there, but I hear good things. Do you have a mapbook? if not pick one up, im sure you could have a good chance if you get out in the bush around there!

RustyRipper
10-16-2013, 04:38 PM

7b whitetail. Never hunted region 4

Quesnel Kid
10-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Goose creek. Elk. Get out of the truck and find the thick north facing stuff. Good times

OutWest
10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Might wanna get a heavy duty bull bar for your truck to push through the dozens of camps up that fsr. Absolute gongshow up there. Try the drainages further outside of Castlegar if you want to get away from crowds. That, and you'll no doubt run into elk.

RustyRipper
10-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Went out this morning up the ladybird, seen a few old camps looks like good area. Drove most of the roads in there at first light then hiked around a bit. Saw a billy and Nanny mnt goat at about 75 yards. Pretty neat, got some good pics. Very cold this morning but did not see hide nor hair of an elk except a big cow elk before it was light in someone's front yard and a whitetail doe. No fresh sign i could find and no answers to my bugles, oh well. Beauty morning and nice to get out. Beautiful country. But I think We'll make our way to grand forks now I think.