PDA

View Full Version : Lillooet Grizzly Poached?

Merch
10-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Saw this on the news this morning. Interesting that the pic they used for the story is from the upper squamish valley.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Conservation+officers+seeking+information+grizzly+ believed/9043432/story.html

Steeleco
10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm all for catching the wrong do-ers. But telling us now that's its been missing a year? Will it do any good?

frenchbar
10-16-2013, 02:18 PM
that drainage is gated off till june 15th I believe because of the grizzlies ..shit like that keeps happening and we could see it shut off completely:evil:

Deer_Slayer
10-16-2013, 06:38 PM
ok where is proof that the bear was shot? They find the collar? Unless the collar was cut off, I would say it fell off as they do after sometime. I find it irresponsible to post a story saying the bear was poached simply because they found the collar? Grizzly bears shake their collars all the time. This story stinks. I want proof of a dead bear that was shot. Maybe she was killled by a boar and eaten? Maybe just plain died and was consumed? Show proof of death by bullet then I am all in.

2forty
10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Those a holes aren't even considered hunters .Someone should radio collar them have gos ,nbl .

Merch
10-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Like steelco said, why wait 5 months after they find the collar to ask for help?

juiceterboost
10-17-2013, 09:14 AM
The collar was smashed. yes that could have happened naturally I suppose but that level of damage to a pretty tough unit was probably deliberate. The wait was to ensure they had exhausted all other options including getting a large number of people together to do a grid search of the area. With grizzlies especially around here, they probably knew the backlash and anti hunter attitude it would bring and wanted to investigate it fully without the publics help.

Steeleco
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the explanation JB, Is there LEH in the area for Grizz?

juiceterboost
10-17-2013, 12:23 PM
No leh for grizzly in the area it wasn't a very large sow so a good chance it may have been mistaken for a color phase blackie

Deer_Slayer
10-20-2013, 02:43 PM
collar was "smashed" maybe smashed by a bears teeth? I would think a "poacher" would "cut" the collar? I think this bear met a natural death and got eaten. There wouldn't be anything left after all this time. I'm surprised the collar wasn't tracked and found immediately because it would have sent off a "mortality code" to the trackers. These collars will send a diff code when they stop moving. If the collar was dormant it should have been investigated right away, then evidence would be available. This story stinks. sorry

604redneck
10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
collar was "smashed" maybe smashed by a bears teeth? I would think a "poacher" would "cut" the collar? I think this bear met a natural death and got eaten. There wouldn't be anything left after all this time. I'm surprised the collar wasn't tracked and found immediately because it would have sent off a "mortality code" to the trackers. These collars will send a diff code when they stop moving. If the collar was dormant it should have been investigated right away, then evidence would be available. This story stinks. sorry
You seem to be pretty protective about this.....

GoatGuy
10-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Why now? Vancouver sun is anti-hunting and even more anti grizzly bear hunting. Won't get into the details but the anti-hunting sentiment goes much higher than the reporters in that outfit.

pete_k
10-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Like steelco said, why wait 5 months after they find the collar to ask for help?

Slow day at the papers I guess. Plus hunting season is in full swing. Good time for a story like that (regardless of how much info it lacks)
Giving the readers what they want.

Deer_Slayer
10-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I am protective against the media using this type of story to bolster their anti hunting crusade. This seems to have happened long ago but suddenly the story is put out in the papers right in middle of hunting season and right behind the story of the NHL player shooting a grizzly near Bella Coola. I don't know if you are implying something in your remark, but I hope not.