PDA

View Full Version : Hunting private land "fair chase?"

rides bike to work
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
I think this is a hot topic right now with many different opinions.

So is hunting private land fair chase.

Many big game animals seek refuge on private land during hunting season for safety and a good supply of feed so if you have exclusive rights isn't that an unfair advantage that would cancel out the theory of fair chase.

Of course I am jealouse of people with honey holes on private land. But also am not to attracted to shooting a deer off an alfalfa feild with 50 feeding on it.

Have vs have nots

lets hear it and don't hold back.tell us what you realy think

Hank Hunter
10-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Been beaten to death so many times

lilhoss
10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I prefer a blacktail buck taken high in the hills vs. a " backyard buck". My personal preference . A big 'ole mountain buck is far more elusive than one that grows up around farms, houses, dogs,roads, etc. If the game was harvested within the laws, shotgun only, within municipal bylaws,etc, then I don't have an issue. Alot of these hunting shows are just that, trophy mule deer and elk shot all the time on private land. To each their own.

russm
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
The animal has the choice to leave its not like you're containing it to private property.

Colinofthewoods
10-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I'd be happy to take a nice deer out of an alfalfa field , it just wouldn't be until I couldnt make any more bush trips for the season.

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Doesn't really take a lot of skill to sit in a blind on the edge of a hay field and shoot that trophy buck that has been on your game cam daily for the last month....but each to their own I guess.

caddisguy
10-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I think this is a hot topic right now with many different opinions.

So is hunting private land fair chase.

Many big game animals seek refuge on private land during hunting season for safety and a good supply of feed so if you have exclusive rights isn't that an unfair advantage that would cancel out the theory of fair chase.

Of course I am jealouse of people with honey holes on private land. But also am not to attracted to shooting a deer off an alfalfa feild with 50 feeding on it.

Have vs have nots

lets hear it and don't hold back.tell us what you realy think

If I owned private land I don't think I would want it open to anyone to use for whatever purpose they desire. It doesn't seem much different than coming home and finding some strangers in the hottub in your backyard... "but is such a nice hot tub! We don't have our own and it's the only good one in the area, so it's fair game"

That said, I'm glad the topic came up, as I did not realize there was so much private land and leases that I would have otherwise had no idea about if not for the DataBC stuff.

As for grazing leases, I can't think of many reasons they should be closed for hunting. Then again, I'm not a rancher, so I'm not fully informed. Will the occasional gunshot stress out the cattle? Will people leave so much garbage my cows will eat it and become sick? Am I legally responsible if one of my cows boot someone in the junk? I would have to find the answers to these questions. Depending on the answers, I would probably allow hunting but if there were problems I can see not allowing it.

I'm still pretty confused about some of the lease/license aspects, so I have some learning to do. I'm a new hunter and just figured if it's crown land and I don't see gates or signs that there shouldn't be a problem. Completely wrong. I am glad I did not hunt up hunting on anyones property by mistake. I will definitely be doing more research about an area before I head out and printing out the maps for the areas I want to hunt. I will also have to figure out a portable solution to accessing this data when I'm out hunting, for those spontaneous decisions about trying a new area.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd rather shoot my moose in an alfalfa field rather than waaaaay up in the toolies, sometimes even the gravy can be tough on them ones, not in an alfalfa field though, plus the tractor is usually pretty close by as well :mrgreen:

Deer hunting for blacktails is a different story though, I like hunting the high timber for them {especially since reading proguide66's thread !!!}, it feels more rewarding for sure and it's a hell of a lot of fun being up there doing it too.

Basically anybody with permission to hunt private land can bag an animal {if their there}, but when you have to get into those certain places that takes a bit of energy ??, that's where the difference is IMO.

Road hunting is basically the same as hunting a lot of private land, you might not see as many animals but your game will not be that hard to get out in most cases and fair chase is not that much a concern either, I mean you get out, shoot it and toss it in your truck and go home, where's the fair chase in that ??

As long as I have permission, I'll continue to hunt the ranch I hunt on now. I cut a good 10 cords of wood for the owner before I even think of grabbing the gun though, I figure that's the least I can do {bucked and stacked, not split, his stove takes em whole} for the land that's available to me to hunt on {3500 acres}.

p.s. I think the comaraderie of hunting with your pals and the whole setting up camp for a week or two thing is a lot more fun rather than going back to the ranch house, hotel, or your travel trailer that's all hooked up to the "shore power".

Usually when your on a buddy trip like this it's in open country, mountains, and everything in between. It's all fair chase and nothing but fair chase.......getting away from it all ?? Probably can't beat that kinda hunting IMO.

caddisguy
10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Oh and if I had private land in prime deer turf, I would definitely have salt licks and alfalfa. No different than a lot of honey holes other hunters have on public land.. the only difference is that I would own it.

hare_assassin
10-16-2013, 12:59 PM
If I had access and there were animals there, I'd do it.

No different than waiting up the ridge (on public land) for those animals to come streaming through the draw early in the AM and whacking one.

The location changes, the result is the same. Neither is more or less fair.

Fella
10-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Depends on the private land. The private land I hunt on is wild, steep crisscrossed with ravines and gulleys, and has thick timber. Getting an animal isn't guaranteed and there are no fences so the deer can come and go as they please.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 01:02 PM
To me that's shooting, not hunting. Hunting is wandering around in the bush for me.
I wouldn't shoot like that but lot's of others do and I can't judge a person on the way they get their venison.
I like the wild country on Crown Land. Never shot on a farm or ranch. Never will.
To me it's like fishing in a man made pool for steelhead instead of the Vedder river or the Kispiox.
I just can't say with confidence that shooting is the same as hunting.
Jello .. imho ..

Rackem
10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
I need meat. I have two sons. I am not physically able to transport an Elk or Moose on my own over large distances. I enjoy all forms of hunting, Alpine stalking sheep, still hunting Deer, calling in Moose, Hayfield hunting Elk, and yes even road hunting.

I am out for the healthy meat. I am out for the satisfaction of processing my own meat. I enjoy game meat. I enjoy the self sufficiency. I enjoy the process.

So, I am persuasive. I have permission from a rancher to hunt his land. I use a crossbow there.

If I owned private land I don't think I would want it open to anyone to use for whatever purpose they desire. It doesn't seem much different than coming home and finding some strangers in the hottub in your backyard... "but is such a nice hot tub! We don't have our own and it's the only good one in the area, so it's fair game"

I agree with this 100%. I do not own land currently but I damn well plan to one day. I don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry traipsing across my land with guns.

I would rather deer fence the entire property, put electric fence on that, post signs every eight feet, Private Property NO TRESSPASSING, DANGER DO NOT ENTER, GUARD DOGS ON DUTY, WARNING DANGEROUS LIVESTOCK DO NOT ENTER, dig a moat, fill it with crocodiles, make a bunch of pit traps, set guns, and trip wires, have motion sensor bird scatter guns, then on the inside ten acres, build a twenty foot wall with gun turrets on it, and have my garden and water supply inside that. For the Zombie Apocalypse.

I would rather have NO HUNTING on my land, including me, than allow some rejects on my land with guns. I would feel a threat to myself and my children and my livestock...Not a good thing.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Really, how comfortable would a British Properties resident be if I walked onto his acreage with a firearm, and started poking around his place?

Or someone who has land in Surrey, would they be happy to see me wandering about with a firearm, looking around?

BiG Boar
10-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I am sure it is fair chase by B&C standards. Weather its as great of a trophy as a mountain buck or not all depends on how the shooter views it. To each their own, and if shooting a 180 buck out of a field is your idea of a great trophy, then so it is. But if your idea of a trophy is only if the buck came from public timbered land above 4000 ft, than that is a trophy to you. Or if your idea of a trophy is shooting a big horn in the high fenced plains of saskatchewan, then I am fine with that too. I may not see it as a trophy, but if its a trophy to you, then we're keeping the taxidermists in business, and everyone is happy and in meat.

I am betting that 98% of people on this site would kill to have their own private ranch filled with 5-10 bucks over 150 on any given night. Anyone who wouldn't like that is a liar or just plain stupid.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 01:18 PM
If I accidentally get something worth hanging on a wall fine. But generally the antlers or whatever are given to the dog, the hides tanned just not to waste, and given to someone who will use them.

Hunting means looking for something. So if you are hunting for your socks, you are looking for your socks. If you are hunting a trophy, you are looking for a trophy. If you are meat hunting, you are looking for meat.

So just because it is shot while road hunting, or in my ranchers 500 acres (have you ever looked for Elk on 500 acres? It's a lot of ground to cover, with draws, poplar groves etc) doesn't mean it isn't hunting. It may not be noble "fair chase" according to some people's idea, but it freaking feeds people, doesn't feed corporate giants, provides a feeling of satisfaction at doing it yourself, of providing for you family.

It still takes skill to approach the animal (wide open they can see you), shoot it for a quick death, gut and skin and butcher it. I even render the fat. For soap. Which is also satisfying to me.

I feel EXACTLY the same sense of satisfaction when I butcher domestic goats, chickens, lambs, or harvest my gardens. If that is wrong in your books, I don't give a rat's ass.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
This is B&C statement on Fair Chase:
"FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

HUNTER ETHICS Fundamental to all hunting is the concept of conservation of natural resources. Hunting in today's world involves the regulated harvest of individual animals in a manner that conserves, protects, and perpetuates the hunted population. The hunter engages in a one-to-one relationship with the quarry and his or her hunting should be guided by a hierarchy of ethics related to hunting, which includes the following tenets:

1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.
2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting occurs.
3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on your abilities and sensibilities as a hunter.
4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill as certain and quick as possible.
5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to either the hunter, the hunted, or the environment.
6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the hunter's experience of the relationship between predator and prey, which is one of the most fundamental relationships of humans and their environment. "
So it is LEGAL to take an animal on a ranch with permission. The animals are NOT confined or cornered. They can move freely from field to bush, from private land to public. There is no unfair advantage of the hunter over the animal. You can get your cover blown if you are not skilled. Using a crossbow, I have to get pretty damn close.

bridger
10-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Now there is one for the ages. All hunters are rejects with guns?

Steeleco
10-16-2013, 02:11 PM
I've been fortunate enough to be allowed on private land for the youth hunt twice. It has served more than a few purposes. It rids the farmer of the breeding males and allowed in my case the kids to get a head start and an easy start in the hunting game. I'll tell you this, the hunt my daughter had this year was every bit as intense as some of my more memorable hunts. Deer came and went back up the mountain as they chose. Near the end of the day and our hunt the stress was unreal trying to get close enough to make a shot. The Alfalfa fed deer is pretty damn good.

This year to last the farmer tells me he's seen a big drop in the deer on his fields, now it can't just be from the single deer we took last fall, but the farmer is so happy we're helping out, he's invited us "old guys" back anytime to hunt geese now!!! Too bad is 4 hours away :(

Rackem
10-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Now there is one for the ages. All hunters are rejects with guns?

That is not what I said. I said, I do not want REJECTS with guns on my property. I want the right to screen who I allow on my property... Weird what people read into stuff...

Logically, I am a person who hunts with guns. I own several. I teach my sons to use guns safely. Responsible hunters who practice gun safety are wonderful people generally.

But if you tell me I must allow some unknown quantity on my land with a gun, a person who for all I know is a mass murderer or a klutz or not safety oriented or who might steal my stuff.. FTS!

Rackem
10-16-2013, 02:31 PM
p.s. I think the comaraderie of hunting with your pals and the whole setting up camp for a week or two thing is a lot more fun rather than going back to the ranch house, hotel, or your travel trailer that's all hooked up to the "shore power".

For sure, but when I hunt on the ranch it is after work, I sleep in my own bed...

I do all kinds of hunting. I go up to the Alpine and camp on the mountain. I go on big wall tent heavy gear camp hunts. I road hunt. I hunt with guns, crossbow, and slingshot. I camp without hunting. I hike. I never stay in hotels unless it is work related. Never stayed in a ranch house. I do not own a travel trailer or a quad.

srupp
10-16-2013, 02:58 PM
hmmm I hunt private lands...some are 3 miles by 2 miles..some are 200 acres...sometimes harder than crown land..

steven

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 03:27 PM
How about an Easter egg hunt for the kids and all the stuff is sitting on a table in front of them? Is that hunting for eggs? Not likely.
Same sort of tingy wingy.
Jel .. Hunt means to go and find something that is hidden ..

Rackem
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I look for Elk on the field, they are not always apparent. They are not fenced in nor contained. They can run away. I am easily seen.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Sounds like the elk are tame where you hunt Racko haha.
Some farm field or ranch land. More like a drive by shooting. lol.
Just joshin it shoudn't matter to me how people describe what hunting is to them
Jelman .. some say toe matto. some say too mate oh.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Not tame, they do get shot at on Crown. They know to fear people, especially the bulls. They don't just wait for me, tied to a tree. Meat is good.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 03:45 PM
For sure, but when I hunt on the ranch it is after work, I sleep in my own bed...

I do all kinds of hunting. I go up to the Alpine and camp on the mountain. I go on big wall tent heavy gear camp hunts. I road hunt. I hunt with guns, crossbow, and slingshot. I camp without hunting. I hike. I never stay in hotels unless it is work related. Never stayed in a ranch house. I do not own a travel trailer or a quad.

Unlike you I don't have that option, therefor when I get to the ranch I have permission to hunt on I earn my keep before I engage in any hunting activities, my opinion is that nobody should ride for free.

Sometimes I just stay in the ranch house if there's room {it saves on the whole cost of the trip for me}, sometimes i DO take my travel trailer and quad and stay in that. I've got quite a long way to go to get to the land I intend to hunt on so it's the ranch, the trailer or a tent, I prefer my travel trailer as it's got all the amenities and I'm not intruding on the ranchers family, and while it may not beat out the ambiance of a wall tent with your pals it definitely beats the hell out of a normal tent any day

I'd rather have my own ranch house to stay on and go hunting out my back door but I can't, I envy people that can as I love that lifestyle but my current job is not one that I'm willing to give up just yet, maybe in another 10 years, then I might just do the move.

When I go hunting it's all about 2 things, the enjoyment and the meat for my family. if the meat happens to have a monster set of horns attached to it then that's just an added bonus, but it sure isn't why I hunt. I've never been on a trophy hunt before and never really turned down that many bucks either to tell ya the truth. The ones I have is only because I was looking for a bigger animal with more meat on it's bones.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah I am fortunate to live in the Peace in a special AG zone. I pay my way with a big bottle of Wiser's Special Deluxe...And grumpy old guys seem to take a shine to me for some reason.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Wiser%27s_De_Luxe.jpg

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 03:59 PM
One guy I was really impressed with his hunting stories hunting around Kamloops.
Then the guy tells me he hunts three private ranches of people that go to his church.
I realized something was not quite the way I call hunting.
For me it's hunting Crown or if it was some private land I'd quit right now.
Maybe for children it wood be ok like when they have the fishing pool at a fair and you pay a toonie to catch a hatchery trout.
Not for me and will never be, no fences, no private, no farms, no ranches.
If I cood I wood make it so just the ranchers immediate family cood hunt on the ranch, nobody else.

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
In truth some private land hunting really isn't fair chase, although by defination it is classed as fair chase....you see fields that hold elk by the hundreds everyday. The owner, also a hunting guide simply unlocks the gate, drives his client in and they pick the animal and shoot it...the animals flee the field for a few days and are back in, undistrubed and use to the traffic going by again by the end of the week....in reality the fields are purposely grown and left in a state to attract elk and deer....its really more like legal baiting.

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Rackem, is it you or the Wiser's the grumpy old guys take a shine too?

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Holy jumping jackfish batman.....I see 1800 posts in two months...am I reading that right?

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 04:13 PM
If I leave a pile of wheat in the field and shoot a deer off of it, its called baiting...if I leave a field green with alfalfa and peas its called fair chase...go figure!

bearhunter338-06
10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I have hunting opportunists from both sides or I use to. Farm land is not as easy as one would think and takes a lot more skill to get into range. Try closing a 600 or more gap on a spooky deer. Sure their is firearms I could snipe deer or elk with at that distance but then this wouldn't be a hunting thread.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Rackem, is it you or the Wiser's the grumpy old guys take a shine too?

Well, since the rancher is the only one that drinks, I guess it's me? They take me out hunting and such, it is great.

Yes 1800 posts in two months, I am a medic, work at a shut down Pulp Mill, nothing to do but read or watch movies or post here...no bleeding subjects anywhere, not even a stubbed toe...12 hours shifts, two weeks on, one week off...

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Rackem, I guess that works out to less than 3 posts an hour for your 12 hour shifts over the two months....just seemed to be a lot for a short time.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 04:30 PM
As for the fields being left in a condition to attract animals, that is not the case here. The ranchers do not want the Elk on their land, consuming the hay. They sell the hay for money, or feed their own cattle with it. So having a bunch of Elk rip into it is not their favorite thing.

There are not Elk here by the hundreds, it is big rolling prairie with groves of trees, hidden draws etc...

This is what it looks like.

http://www.ourbc.com/travel_bc/bc_cities/alaska_highway/photos/chetwynd/countryside_01_640.jpg

hare_assassin
10-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Rackem, I guess that works out to less than 3 posts an hour for your 12 hour shifts over the two months....just seemed to be a lot for a short time.

Some of us are fortunate enough to work as "Maytag repairmen/women".

Rackem
10-16-2013, 04:35 PM
and like this
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1231441_10151568793730754_1901129428_n.jpg

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 04:39 PM
The cattle ranchers cattle when they started gave the wild elk deseases.
The cattle ranchers gave shots to their cattle and cleaned them up
Now they blame the elk for giving it back to those fat shit bomber cows.
Mother Nature was here first not the ranchers lol.
Jel .. More hat than cows now lol ..

Rackem
10-16-2013, 04:42 PM
https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1384215_10151665322050754_1316095825_n.jpg

Sitkaspruce
10-16-2013, 04:43 PM
I cannot believe you guys are nit picking about something that is totally legal!!!!

Who really cares??? Other than some jealous "hunters" who say private land might not be fair chase.....

No wonder we have huge problems with trying to stay ahead of the anti's...I will say it again, we are our own worst enemies.......

Hunting is hunting, no matter if it is by road, hiking, sitting in a blind, gun, archery, baiting, private or crown land, as long as it is legal, it's called hunting and is good in my books.

get outside, go hunting guys and gals and enjoy the rest of the season......

Cheers

SS

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
No not the case there, but last year I was up by Farrel Creek ....thats more what I was referring to as baiting and not fair chase....not all private land hunting is easy. Before moving to BC I grain farmed in Alberta, cropping 2000+ acres/year, none of the land I farmed was posted and the whitetails were free to be hunted by all...definately fair chase hunting in that case. However, others would have a no hunting, no tresspassing signs on every second fence post and then think they were mighty hunters when they shot a buck on there private heavly posted alfalfa sanctuaries.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 04:52 PM
If the rancher said I'll sell you a cow from my fenced ranch, real good price but you need to shoot it and process the meat yourself.
Same thing as shooting an elk within the ranchers fields.
Not enuff challenge for most hunters.
Six a one half a duzooon of the same. lol.
Jel .. Ranching is a thing of the past, give it up old man .. lol ..
Japan grows beef in buildings they don't need thousands of hectares of land given out by the old government people for free if they clear an acre a year, times have changed. .

Ambush
10-16-2013, 05:02 PM
If the rancher said I'll sell you a cow from my fenced ranch, real good price but you need to shoot it and process the meat yourself.

What's wrong with that Jell? I even used a bow!! It must sporting, 'cause I'm wearing camo.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00916.JPG

Surrey Boy
10-16-2013, 05:02 PM
What do you all think of fishing from a stocked lake.

Personally, I don't do it. Should I be looking down on the rest of you?

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 05:05 PM
You gotta be joshin me Bush what? I never
Oh boy

Rackem
10-16-2013, 05:08 PM
I cannot believe you guys are nit picking about something that is totally legal!!!!

Who really cares??? Other than some jealous "hunters" who say private land might not be fair chase.....

No wonder we have huge problems with trying to stay ahead of the anti's...I will say it again, we are our own worst enemies.......

Hunting is hunting, no matter if it is by road, hiking, sitting in a blind, gun, archery, baiting, private or crown land, as long as it is legal, it's called hunting and is good in my books.

Cheers

SS

I agree, just wait til I get a week off!

Rackem
10-16-2013, 05:18 PM
then think they were mighty hunters when they shot a buck on there private heavily posted alfalfa sanctuaries.

That is the part of the "Fair Chase" debate that is Ego.

I hunt to eat. I enjoy the process. I don't really care about titles such as mighty hunter, I am a hunter like I am a gardener like I am a mother. These are things I do, things I am.

If I feed my kids and myself healthy food, I am pleased and joyful. I thank the animal and the universe. I don't care about the rack size, I care about nutrition and taste.

My main concerns are safety, a quick death, meat recovery, and utilizing the animal for minimal waste.

Jelly it is not the same thing as getting an Elk on the ranch. The cow stands and waits for you. It is not afraid. It is confined by a fence. I have raised meat animals and still butcher domestic animals raised by others. I use a knife or a .22 for them, but they are tied, or upsidedown in a bucket. That is slaughter, not hunting.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Rackem your one tuff whoa man lol ..

hawk-i
10-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I think the season is about done for me this year....I only hunted crown land, no posted private reserves and have so far taken 1 Bull moose (47 inch spread), 1 black bear, 1 whitetail doe, 1 wolf, and 1 6x6 Bull Elk (scored around 290)....to me it seems more like fair chase when every other hunter in BC had the same chance at anyone of these animals as I did....but that's just my 2 cents on the subject.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I have my moments, just like everyone else.

Here is more of the land I hunt https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1379921_10151665378690754_584279016_n.jpg

Rooster slaughter

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/39272_10151068004720754_197393387_n.jpg

And these are Rooster balls

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644666_10151068018695754_1801653522_n.jpg

Surrey Boy
10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Every hunter on private land is one that won't meet me on Crown land.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 05:35 PM
I think the season is about done for me this year....I only hunted crown land, no posted private reserves and have so far taken 1 Bull moose (47 inch spread), 1 black bear, 1 whitetail doe, 1 wolf, and 1 6x6 Bull Elk (scored around 290)....to me it seems more like fair chase when every other hunter in BC had the same chance at anyone of these animals as I did....but that's just my 2 cents on the subject.

Yes you deserve praise as a good hunter, but how much time did you spend doing it? How much equipment do you have? How much of a budget do you have to do that?

For me, I have to work for a living, and I only get a little time off, some of which I must use from mundane life things, as well as hunting. I am not wealthy, and I have very little gear. So I do the best I can with what I have, and I am happy with that. I am confident that I will get something soon.

Cheers!

boxhitch
10-16-2013, 05:40 PM
I have my moments, just like everyone else.on schedule , I bet ?

Glad this topic is now derailed to rooster balls , the original topic certainly wasn't worth the time it was getting.
everyone has a view of what hunting is , and the sooner hunters get together in this battle , the better off we will be.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Another thing is are you single or married and have children.
Hard to get time away when you have family ties and they need attention.
Many a single hunter found out, when your married with children it isn't easy to get away.

Rackem
10-16-2013, 05:47 PM
LOL no not everyone is scheduled emotionally. I have been very lucky that way.

Rooster balls taste like egg whites.

I agree, unity, support are much more productive, hunters are like the Scottish Highlanders, always bickering and fighting amongst themselves so they could never present a unified front against the English...

Surrey Boy
10-16-2013, 05:50 PM
I agree, unity, support are much more productive, hunters are like the Scottish Highlanders, always bickering and fighting amongst themselves so they could never present a unified front against the English...

So if we keep fighting, we'll become the toughest men in the world? We'll engineer peculiar contraptions and become scholars and poets?

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Rocky Mountain Oysters trump them rooster nuts anytime, lollol

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx358/bentlyt/IMG_6040_zps046a9385.jpg

As for the "BULLSHIT" in this thread ??

Here's ya go,

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx358/bentlyt/IMG_6044_zpsd303116d.jpg

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 05:53 PM
If some rancher offered me a chance to hunt on his private ranch
I'd kick em in the nads. What? You got it, that ain't an option.

rocksteady
10-16-2013, 06:10 PM

Cheers

SS

Ypur first 2 sentences sum it up perfectly...

Bc Deer Hunter
10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
If some rancher offered me a chance to hunt on his private ranch
I'd kick em in the nads. What? You got it, that ain't an option. Period.
To me I don't want to here about it if you do lol.
Might as well take up paintball.
Any adult don't need to do that.
If you did shoot an animal on a farm at least have the nads to admit it.
I wood 4 give U if you used the term, "Shot an animal on a ranch."
Not, I hunted an animal on a farm, yikes.

Why would you kick him in the nuts??? I know of friends and have hunted private land before, and let me tell you it is not about showing up and shooting something, it involves all other skills and techniques used to locate and harvest your game just like public land except less hunting pressure.. If it is legal why bash it?? Road hunting isn't my cup of tea per say but I do not degrade and try to embarrass most of the guys that do it....

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm not that serious about others lol, do what you want when you want.
I just woodn't do it myself, no big deal, no different than some like driving around hunting and a very few like walking about.
If I was in charge of hunting rules in BC I wood allow only the owner and his immediate family to hunt on his property. No guests, no friends, nobody.
But I ain't in charge so you don't have to worry about me lol.
JP

Sofa King
10-16-2013, 06:30 PM
of course private land is fair-chase.
why wouldn't it be?
I have permission to hunt private land near Kelowna, and I've taken several deer from there.
it's the same wild land that surrounds it on all sides.
I was walking, scouting, and taking deer on that land when it was crown just like the rest.
there's no fences or anything, it's the wild bush just like every other acre in the area.
the deer don't view it any differently either, it just happens to have some fantastic terrain that they love to hold up in.

that's a bit different than a farmer's alfalfa field.
like some others, my preference is to walk the higher elevation areas searching them out rather than sitting on a protected food-plot waiting to pick and choose.

Bugle master
10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
If I accidentally get something worth hanging on a wall fine. But generally the antlers or whatever are given to the dog, the hides tanned just not to waste, and given to someone who will use them.

Hunting means looking for something. So if you are hunting for your socks, you are looking for your socks. If you are hunting a trophy, you are looking for a trophy. If you are meat hunting, you are looking for meat.

So just because it is shot while road hunting, or in my ranchers 500 acres (have you ever looked for Elk on 500 acres? It's a lot of ground to cover, with draws, poplar groves etc) doesn't mean it isn't hunting. It may not be noble "fair chase" according to some people's idea, but it freaking feeds people, doesn't feed corporate giants, provides a feeling of satisfaction at doing it yourself, of providing for you family.

It still takes skill to approach the animal (wide open they can see you), shoot it for a quick death, gut and skin and butcher it. I even render the fat. For soap. Which is also satisfying to me.

I feel EXACTLY the same sense of satisfaction when I butcher domestic goats, chickens, lambs, or harvest my gardens. If that is wrong in your books, I don't give a rat's ass.

Can i get a amen!! Well said Rackem

cariboo hunter
10-17-2013, 08:52 AM
I grew up on a ranch, shot a lot of deer on my ranch and shot a lot on crown land too. It the same sh!t, only difference is on private land you don't have to worry about other hunters.
I get a kick out of some of the TRUE hunters on here saying it is not hunting. So if a big buck was standing on a meadow on crown land, would you shoot it or does it have to be in the thick bush to make your story sound better.
I don't know what kind of ranches you city folks have seen driving around in your black limousines but the deer sure aren't fenced in.

Rackem
10-17-2013, 10:14 AM
It's total BS. Hunting snobs. You KNOW they would take a big buck standing in a meadow on crown, and then make up MORE BS about stalking it and how hard it was etc etc...Baloney. Ego ego ego. You can't eat it.

hare_assassin
10-17-2013, 10:18 AM
It's total BS. Hunting snobs. You KNOW they would take a big buck standing in a meadow on crown, and then make up MORE BS about stalking it and how hard it was etc etc...Baloney. Ego ego ego. You can't eat it.

You are such an awesome addition to this forum! <-- not sarcasm

rides bike to work
10-17-2013, 10:58 AM
I brought this topic up originally for a couple of reasons

1.the province isn't getting any bigger and with private resorce intrest groups more and more land will be made private under the reasoning of liability.

2.one day we will be like the states where almost all hunting will be on private land and hunting leases will be a thing of the norm

3. I am jealouse . Over the past year I have scouted a herd of elk that were well known as a tough hunt but I was determined I put out trail cams ,hiked as often as I could , and when the hunting season came this herd moved onto private land and hasn't moved since . I have heard of six bulls taken all on this private land.this herd was located there and public money has paid to manage this resource yet one rancher is taking advantage and probably profiting off of this public resource.

i don't see this thread as hunter vs hunter but a discussion that we can have amongst outselves so we can all have a better understanding of the situation through other experiences.

But I do like your tone jel throwing it down pullin no punches. Same to you rackem. Even though saying you hunt private land because your a meat hunter doesn't realy jive with a trophy archery sheep hunt. Just sayin;)

Kudu
10-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Cheers

SS

Exactly - well said!!

Rackem
10-17-2013, 11:42 AM
meat hunter doesn't realy jive with a trophy archery sheep hunt. Just sayin:wink:

Haha! The LAW in this case dictates full curl, I would be happy with any sheep meat. In fact, I just got 20lbs of that ram delivered to me last night, along with a nice little bushbuddy stove...I went for the experience more than anything, and the fact that rams are such a rare thing to get in a hunting life, I might get ONE mount done...but I am not like my hunting partner who has a shed full of mounts of all sorts. What is the point? No place to display it, I have a camera, can take a lot of pics...I might just donate the head to some museum or whatever...or if legal, sell it.

hare_assassin
10-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Same to you rackem. Even though saying you hunt private land because your a meat hunter doesn't realy jive with a trophy archery sheep hunt. Just sayin;)

I got the impression Rackem eats Bighorn. She probably renders the fat and uses the hide, too. If there is a trophy that goes along with it, I don't see how that is inconsistent with "meat hunting."

EDIT: Ooops, she beat me to it...

bugler
10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
It is generally accepted that if it isn't enclosed in a high fence then it is fair chase. Everyone has their opinion on how sporting any given scenario is but the notion of fair chase has been defined by B&C and P&Y. Hunting private land is not excluded from this definition.

Personally, I think flicking a switch from 3 or 4 hundred yards away is not sporting enough for me, so I choose to bowhunt. I would much rather arrow a nice buck on the edge of an alfalfa field than drop the hammer on one on a distant public ridge. Both are legal, both are fair chase, just my personal preference. Got nothing against someone else doing the latter.

gcreek
10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
As for grazing leases, I can't think of many reasons they should be closed for hunting. Then again, I'm not a rancher, so I'm not fully informed. Will the occasional gunshot stress out the cattle? Will people leave so much garbage my cows will eat it and become sick? Am I legally responsible if one of my cows boot someone in the junk? I would have to find the answers to these questions. Depending on the answers, I would probably allow hunting but if there were problems I can see not allowing it.

I'm still pretty confused about some of the lease/license aspects, so I have some learning to do. I'm a new hunter and just figured if it's crown land and I don't see gates or signs that there shouldn't be a problem. Completely wrong. I am glad I did not hunt up hunting on anyones property by mistake. I will definitely be doing more research about an area before I head out and printing out the maps for the areas I want to hunt. I will also have to figure out a portable solution to accessing this data when I'm out hunting, for those spontaneous decisions about trying a new area.

A Grazing Lease gives the holder more options as they can be developed to produce better grass, fenced, ditched, cleared etc at the holder's expense and at MOF's approval. The holder may also post this land for no trespassing.

A Grazing Licence gives the licencee rights to graze cattle for a set amount of time on a certain area and not much more. Drift fences may be constructed to limit cattle movement to other holder's tenures and some development such as trails or water development may be done at District Manager's approval. This land may not be posted.

As to your questions of why some limit trespassing, I will try to give you a few reasons.

First and foremost. A lot of cattle are not used to people on foot and to have them run at the sight of a human can cause a bit of weight loss depending on how bad they are spooked. Any pause in weight gain costs the owner dollars.
Imagine a lb. per animal loss in a herd of a 1000 at $1 per lb. every day of hunting season. Kind of like having your pocket picked every trip home from work!

Not all, but many folks who are not raised in a country setting, (and some who have been) don't realize (or care) that dropping garbage, leaving gates open, shooting without responsibility, and in dry areas, vehicle tracks, become direct costs the rancher must absorb when cleaning up the mess behind these irresponsible types. This, unfortunately for those who truly care for their own image, leads to many responsible hunters to be turned away as status quo.

As has been mentioned on other threads, meeting the landholder and asking if there is anything you can do to assist him will get you permission to hunt a lot quicker than any other way.

Rackem
10-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Yes, one of the things non cow people may be unaware of is "hardware" disease. Cows will ingest metal objects, nails, wire, spoons, etc, and these items will travel through the cow and puncture the heart, stomaches, etc. The preventive treatment is to make the cow swallow a big magnet, which holds the wire in the first stomach and prevents it's travel.

It is amazing what you can find inside an older cow at butcher time. Massive amounts of metal stuff.