PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Advice Please

nedarb2
10-16-2013, 10:55 AM
After a disappointing leh, I have been planning a trip with my hunting buddies to the cariboo for the last few months but a last second change of thought has us all excited and wanting to head up north. We're relatively all young and green hunters, but we have no lack of effort or sense of adventure and this is going to be our first time up north. I have done a ton of reading and asking around with experienced hunters and have settled on doing a trip up to the FSJ/pink mtn. area. But I was reading on the forum about a lot of recent disappointing trips in the pink mtn region and also trouble with the natives getting access to areas.
By Friday I need to commit to a new game plan, so please chime in!
going for moose primarily, deer would be awesome too. We're not very picky, just want some sort of fresh meat in the freezer and a fun time away from work!
will be up from oct 24-nov 4.
Have a quad and a 4x4 truck and 14' tin boat at our disposal.
Suggestions on specific places to hunt, places to stay (I'm trying to find a trailer or wall tent if we can't find accommodation in an area we want to go) are all appreciated. We like to get well off the beaten road and into the harder to get to areas.

THANK YOU!!

Sil3n2
10-16-2013, 06:42 PM
MU 7-20 hwy 52 from Tumbler to Dawson would be a good start. Any Bull, whitetail and 6 point Elk
North of PG, (Summit Lake) calf open until the 25th.
Good Luck

brutus
10-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Any bull??????read the reg dude

brutus
10-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Nebarb2 read the regs.you don't have to go all the way up to pink mountain to get critters.chetwind is as good as it gets

Sil3n2
10-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Any bull??????read the reg dude

My bad, read the wrong dates.... Dude :?

nedarb2
10-22-2013, 03:46 PM
trying to decide between pink mtn, wonown, or tumbler now. anyrecent reports? was favoring tumbler (south of tumbler) until i heard about heavy industrial activity... or is it just get off the beaten path and put some miles on the hiking boots no matter where i end up
much appreciated,
nedarb

Agent Orange
10-22-2013, 08:41 PM
My dad and his friends just came back from a successful hunt around pink mountain. Two 10pt bull moose and a white tail buck. I believe it's spike fork bulls OR 10pt or better. Nothing in between. At least where they were. Good luck!

Stukonarock
10-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Nedarb,
Where is your starting point for this trip. It a long expensive trip to go that far north from the island or lower mainland. Save your money. Learn some closer spots to where you live. There is hunting everywhere. Get out and put some miles on your boots. Tell me where your starting and what your budget is for the trip and I might be able to steer you in the right direction. That's a long way to go if you end up disappointed.
Stuk

Whonnock Boy
10-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Rock makes a good point, and there is some darn good hunting to be had at that.

nedarb2
10-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Starting point is 100 mile. We want to do the trip up north and have the funds for it, it's a vacation for us and hunting is the bonus. Thanks guys

monasheemountainman
10-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Chetwynd would be my choice.

Stukonarock
10-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Just assumed you were from the island as your sig has a link to port renfrew fishing charters. I don't usually venture that far north. Hopefully you'll get some pointers in the right direction. A group of friends did pink mountain two years ago and came back blank.

nedarb2
10-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone, received some pm's and some very generous offers and advice. I think I have a plan nailed down, and of course will post pics of any success!

bridger
10-23-2013, 01:39 PM
trying to decide between pink mtn, wonown, or tumbler now. anyrecent reports? was favoring tumbler (south of tumbler) until i heard about heavy industrial activity... or is it just get off the beaten path and put some miles on the hiking boots no matter where i end up
much appreciated,
nedarb

very heavy oilfield activity in those areas better to stay in Chetwynd tumbler ridge area.