PDA

View Full Version : Pemberton WOlf story

Gateholio
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Reprinted from CGN:If you hunt pemberton this time of year... Heads up
I got jumped by a pack of wolves last night.... I'm still pretty rattled by the whole affair. It's a damn good thing I'm surgical with my shorty .303 or I would be wolf poop. It was that close. I'll elaborate later maybe. Let's just say, human 3 wolf 0 http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png and sorry we did not stick around to retrieve , it was that nuts last night.

So, the east ridge, north side of north creek... There is a pack of HUGE timberwolves running the trails day and night and as we found last night, they have no issues attacking people on sight.
Get up there and kill them boys So the story goes like this

We arrived in our camp late friday night. 4 hunters hunting to ambush sites for deer. Kinda like tree stand hunting but on the ground, just off a major deer trail.
So, saturday morning, we're in our spots at sunrise. Sitting back to back on high ground with deer trail around both sides. Me and buddy saw over 25 does and fawns heading south on the trails in their usual fashion. Us, in full camo, face masks ect, scent spray, you know the drill. We exitted the spot at 12:30 , undetected.
When we got back to camp, our 2 buddies reported high numbers of does n fawns at their local as well.
Then as we prepared a early supper before heading back to the spots, we heard wolves faintly in the distance far above us.
For those familiar with area, we were on the north creek road camped at 1KM.
Saturday evening, me and buddy saw 5 does with fawns over the 3 hour sit. Wolves could be heard up high at dusk, the the valley floor late that night.
Our 2 buddies headed home leaving 2 of us in camp.
Next day, very little game movement in morning , 1 doe n fawn. Very strange.
Evening right at that "magic time" when bucks like to come creepin.... I saw big white ears through the bush on the top of the main trail leading down from the ridge above us, about 80 yards.....So, minutes before I saw the initial movment up top, my buddy, some 50 yards away had done the "I'm gonna approach" whistle, which I had replied to confirm. So as he was slowly making his way thru the bush towards me, now in sight, I see movement on the ridge. I stand and get my buddies attention, pointing to the ridge line trail. He crouched and I remained standing, motionless on my rock.
So as the first animal comes into view at 80 yards.... It's no deer and at first it took a moment to realize that a pack of wolves was emerging at the top of the ridge. I raised my rifle and in doing this, the wolves spotted me and fanned out. In a split second 3 very large dogs were in full down hill run straight at me. My first shot unmistakeably hit the lead animal in the chest shoulder at about 30 yards as the wolf was now on ground sloping up at me. He blew past me between me an a big douglas fir that was only 10 feet from me. The second animal veered and went right past on the other side of that tree but still mere feet away. I had sights on him a squeezed the trigger as he flew past, hitting him in the haunches. His backend slid out but he too blasted right on by and into the thick brush and steep downhill terrain.
The third wolf , I don't even know it all happened so fast but as I turned back to see , my buddy was kneeling letting her rip with his 30-06. The pack disappeared and we high tailed it in fading light back to the jeep and the short ride back to camp.

We put coffee on, threw some venison burgers on the grill from last weeks 4ptmulie and as we started to discuss what just happened, a sickening wounded wolf howl kind noise was coming from back near our spot. Minutes later answered by the pack that sounded a 100 yards or so away.
Rifles where left at the ready that night. The wounded wolf down below was silent after maybe 1/2 hour... Then a while later, the sad mournful slow howl of one wolf up the ridge calling to the two we hit down below.
Hiking in the next morning, despite rain, we found enough evidence in blood bone chips and wolf fur to know we terminally hit one as it went back up the hill, and the two that blew by me as they were hit.

at 11;00 am yesterday we could again here the wolves howling.

There's no pics, sorry.
Have been playing phone tag with the pemberton C.0.
I generally solo hunt that area this time of year but will be thinkin twice hehehe
Also down on the valley floor a km or 2 away are camps with edible mushroom pickers and they ain't armed.
Anyhow, if you know the area I am referring to and would like more details before your hunt, shoot me a message.
These wolves would be very easy pickings for a skilled ambush type predator hunter right now.

Anyhow, that's the story. If yer one of the jackasses that posts the pics or it didn't happen crap and you had to pay a guide to find a wolf for you and blah blah blah.... Piss off. I had an extremly hair raising self defense situation play out and don't wanna hear from the peanut gallery http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png
And I've never paid a guide to find my animals for me

BiG Boar
10-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Maybe you should have paid a guide to help find and finish off the wolves....probably didnt happen without pics though.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 09:07 AM
If that's the straight goods then it would have been a freaky experience to say the least !!!

The moaning and whimpering of a wounded animal, whether trying to eat me or not, would still have bothered me somewhat though, no matter how shit scared or nervous I was.

I think being able to control yourself and shoot under those circumstances is pretty amazing, not all people would be able to pull it off.

In the end I'm glad nobody was hurt, curious to see if they went back to see about the dead or wounded wolves ??

Edit to add, I see they went back in the next morning but did they actually find any dead wolves, just curious ??

RB2
10-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Wow. Glad you guys are ok. I do believe this is the kid of reason that everyone in the woods should be able to carry a sidearm. Check out the site wilderness right to carry. That really must have been hair raising. One can only imagine if they were there. Again glad everyone was un injured, that could have been a bad seen.

ElliotMoose
10-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Wow.. nerve rattling experience. Just another little piece of evidence of the wolf crisis at hand

BC_Viking
10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Maybe you should have paid a guide to help find and finish off the wolves....probably didnt happen without pics though.

I first read this story on CGN the OP is a pretty respected and credible guy i believe him, he as done some custom rifle work for me in the past , he's known as the M14doctor ..

BiG Boar
10-16-2013, 09:29 AM
I first read this story on CGN the OP is a pretty respected and credible guy i believe him, he as done some custom rifle work for me in the past , he's known as the M14doctor ..

I am sure he is, it was a joke. Why the comments about guides though, I don't even get it?

Gateholio
10-16-2013, 09:30 AM
I guess I should have been more clear- REPRINTED FROM GUNNUTZ mens it's from another guys thread. He only does CGN, so asked me to post it here. I don't have any more details but anyone that is a member of CGN can read the thread in the HUNTING section there.

adriaticum
10-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks, looks like Squamish-Lillooet will be a good place to look for wolves this winter.

lovemywinchester
10-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Crazy story. I quess the wolves saw movement but didn't recognize humans with the full camo. That would be exciting as hell to go through though!

I know the fishing guides on the Squam see wolves a lot when the drift the river. I've seen photos. You mention you would like to hunt them and they get a little upset.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
I just went over and read that whole thread, funny how there's always someone who is a non believer, even if the OP mentioned the area in question along with the CO's name {and everything else}.

I'm just glad him and his partner made it out unhurt and downed a few dogs. I think Gatehouse mentioned the small moose population in that MU, pretty sure they don't need a huge pack of these buggers feasting on them. Good on the op and his buddy.

cybertoad
10-20-2013, 08:29 PM
This is my trapline area. I will be trapping wolves here this winter. PM any other sightings. Yes there is a small moose herd in the area. they took one down for sure last winter.

takla1
10-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I know the feeling well when shareing the bush with a pack at first or last light,certainly raises ones awareness .Having hunted for 25 plus yrs up in ft nelson,ft st.james and the caribou hi-lands east of quesnel we had our share of wolf encounters and have even brought them into or camps at night by answering there calls.The one I shot in behind mission 2 yrs back wasn't so bad even tho he was within 30 yrds of me on a step trail half way up the mnt and came out of no-where right below me in the tall ferns .Does get the blood flowing....good shooting bye the way gatehouse.

Papa Sasquatch
10-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Totally understand you bros. I had an encounter up by Deas Lake just over a month ago while calling the moose. It was amazing how they all seemed to come out of nowhere.
and I camped in Pemberton just last night chasing the deer's. Didn't see nothing. Blame the wolves.
Limited to 3 pelts but NBL sounds like a fair recommendation for next year.

chilcotin hillbilly
10-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Ooooo scarey!!! By the way this is not Gatehouse's story!!! some people miss the facts in the story

Blair
12-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Were those guys using scents? I wonder if the wolves smelled deer and thought they were coming running to some tasty ungulates.

stinkyduck
12-07-2013, 07:08 PM
three wolves per season????? no tags to cut!!!!!!!

dino
12-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I guess I should have been more clear- REPRINTED FROM GUNNUTZ mens it's from another guys thread. He only does CGN, so asked me to post it here. I don't have any more details but anyone that is a member of CGN can read the thread in the HUNTING section there.
I bet he wished he had a black gun with a drum if it were legal.

Gateholio
12-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I bet he wished he had a black gun with a drum if it were legal.

With the right set up he could have as many as 15 or so rounds in a non restricted black gun. Would indeed seem ideal!

dino
12-07-2013, 09:05 PM
With the right set up he could have as many as 15 or so rounds in a non restricted black gun. Would indeed seem ideal!
Ya I hear ya with the beowulf, If only they made a pistol then we could have 30.

hunter1947
12-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Wow that was a real traumatic experience that hunter had wonder if he change your underwear when you got back to camp ??? that was a crazy ordeal its a good thing this hunter was quick with the rifle and it a good thing that he got out alive ,,man o man this story of yours put goose bumps up my back,,thank god someone was looking down on him..

REMINGTON JIM
12-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Hey hunter1947 it was NOT ! gatehouse maybe re read the posts ! LOL RJ