PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for improvised tarp tent

MichelD
10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
I've got a moose draw for November in central B.C. and I'm wondering how to make a comfortable camp without a camper, trailer or wall tent. Those November nights are long and cold.

I was thinking I could make a frame of poles and cover it with tarps but it would still be freezing. I might find a way to put a stove in it, but it would be so drafty I'd be heating the outside.
Or I could make a big lean-to style with a fire at the open end.

Maybe we could have our individual sleeping tents under the tarp too, or on their own away from the cook tent common area I'm still trying to figure this out.

Any ideas? Teepee?

Thank you in advance.

adriaticum
10-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Regardless of what you use it's going to be cold without a camper or a heated wall tent.
A small winter (alpine) tent if you are sleeping in the bush or make a tent in your truck if you can.
If you have a few tarps you can make a tent around your passenger door and open the car window/door to get some heat from the car while the engine is running.
Make sure to stay dry and stay away from the winds, have a few -10/-15 sleeping bags and you'll be ok. Use cars to guard from the wind.
Inflatable mattress to keep you off the ground too.

KB90
10-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Log frame with tarps.

This is a very large one we made for a thanksgiving moose hunt, had to watch the canucks game :D

But they work quite well and would keep a guy warm, have logs at the bottom to rap the tarp around and you will have no drafts.

Build a small one and buy yourself a cheap tinstove, you will be toasty warm for cheap!

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/74406_460084612087_2020554_n.jpg

sarg
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
My buddy uses a a 10X10 easy up with a trap over top of it, this year he cut a hole thou the trap big enough for a 6" pipe then put te 4" stove pipe throu the 6" pipe, trap never melted and he stayed warm all night :)

warnniklz
10-15-2013, 09:32 PM
If you're driving no matter what tarp/tent set-up you go with you'll need:

1 sheet of plywood
1 foam/air mattress (I prefer foam)
2 wool blankets
1 sleeping bag

Make sure there's a wool blanket under your sleeping bag and 1 on top... you'll be toasty warm

MichelD
10-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Princess Auto steel camp stove?

avadad
10-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Another option is to get yourself a good -20 winter sleeping bag, an air mattress and a 4 season tent. Lay a thin layer of foam on the mattress and a wool blanket over the foamy. Do some light exercise to get yourself warmed up, change into a clean set of merino wool long johns put on a fresh knit cap, climb into the bag and you'll sleep like a log. I do it lots and I never get cold. Can't say you'll be excited about getting out of the bag come morning but that's what hot coffee is for...

Phreddy
10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Google "Whelan Lean to". It's an awesome rig which is light and easy to carry and easy to set up. closed sides or open sides, and holds the heat well.

Ambush
10-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Google "8X10 tarp pitch". You can do the same thing with any size tarp. One pole is enough, but for a big structure one or two ridge poles going from your peak pole to the ground prevent sagging. Have good stakes and place logs, rocks or snow on the outside edges of the tarp. The trick is to keep wind from going through it, so no holes fro cross breezes, just the entrance. Use a wool blanket or other breathable fabric to cover the door.

If you're near PG, I have a small stove you can use. Tarps to, for that matter. How many people?

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2013, 09:58 PM
For years all we slept with was our -30F Cabelas Qualofil Mummy sleeping bags on the ground,no tent,no thermarest,they were a 8lb bag and very warm,if we got snow we just found some trees to camp under and covered our bags with an emergency blanket, the worst part of hunting like this was putting your frozen boots on in the morning !!!

So if you add an air mattress and a setup like KB90 shows above you will be more than comfortable.

boxhitch
10-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Its easy to make a tarp shelter if you have some poles to work with, or 1/2 a lift of 2x4's. Size and configuration is in the imagination of the builder.
Bring a staple gun or small nails to tack down the loose bits, some duct tape for the seams , clear poly for some solar windows,
Don't worry about fresh air exchange so much , a tin air-loose stove will have you in a sauna in no time.
Maybe borrow the stove and chimney , where are you headed ?

Island Idiots
10-16-2013, 05:34 AM
The tin stoves at princess auto along with some pipe will be a needed item. Combine that with a tarp, rope, trees, logs, nails, duct tape, zap straps, a roll of expanded strapping, and you are good to go. The main thing is the stove. Those hippie killers can heat a hockey rink. Surround it with tarps for walls and you will be warm. I have used cardboard from appliance boxes and rolls of plastic as well. Don't forget to put a shovel of dirt in the bottom of the stove before you light it.
I have camped in PG in November with a tent and no stove. Get the stove. Brrr!

ratherbefishin
10-16-2013, 06:48 AM
whatever you construct,tarpshelter or tent,put a tarp down on the ground and bring an old piece of carpet-makes for a very nice floor.Even making a simple lean to tarpshelter with a fire in front will keep you warm and dry.

BiG Boar
10-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Go down to your local appliance store. Get a large fridge or deep freeze box. Bring some duct tape. Your set. I see this set up down this way all the time.

Darksith
10-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Go down to your local appliance store. Get a large fridge or deep freeze box. Bring some duct tape. Your set. I see this set up down this way all the time.

haha, nice...

frenchbar
10-16-2013, 07:27 AM
if your in a pinch you can borrow my teepee tent and stove..im sure a couple of ya can get it set up:wink:..you have to load the stove every few hrs when its Cold..but it beats sleeping outside..lolhttp://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/011-22.jpg

BiG Boar
10-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Take him up on his Tee Pee tent. They are awesome.

Kudu
10-16-2013, 07:45 AM
I've got a moose draw for November in central B.C. and I'm wondering how to make a comfortable camp without a camper, trailer or wall tent. Those November nights are long and cold.

I was thinking I could make a frame of poles and cover it with tarps but it would still be freezing. I might find a way to put a stove in it, but it would be so drafty I'd be heating the outside.
Or I could make a big lean-to style with a fire at the open end.

Maybe we could have our individual sleeping tents under the tarp too, or on their own away from the cook tent common area I'm still trying to figure this out.

Any ideas? Teepee?

Thank you in advance.

The Whelen tent made by frost river is good for -20 comfortable survival (as shown in pic) - weighs less than 10 pounds, costs very little and erects in 10 minutes.

Space two, three or even four around a central fire pit and you are golden

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/8edb83d019500533f34645e765ce4a74_zps3cd4795c.jpg

albravo2
10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
As you can see from the range of options already presented, there is a lot of room on the spectrum between survival and comfort.

I've found that handwarmers like they sell at Costco can make the difference between miserable and less miserable on a long cold night. NovemberBravo and I spent a cold night covered by a short canvas tarp and a bunch of handwarmers generated just enough heat to let us grab a bit of sleep instead of shivering all night.

rides bike to work
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Re: Show Us Pics of Your Hunting Camp Setup
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/IMG_1211_zpsdf118490.jpg

rides bike to work
10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
07-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Thread: Show Us Pics of Your Hunting Camp Setup
by rides bike to work Replies
Views
Re: Show Us Pics of Your Hunting Camp Setup
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/IMG_1209_zps133fb4fe.jpg

MichelD
10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
"if your in a pinch you can borrow my teepee tent and stove..im sure a couple of ya can get it set up:wink:..you have to load the stove every few hrs when its Cold..but it beats sleeping outside..lol"

Thank you very much Frenchbar, that is a most generous offer. And you are on the route to my draw area too. Bonus.

frenchbar
10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
"if your in a pinch you can borrow my teepee tent and stove..im sure a couple of ya can get it set up:wink:..you have to load the stove every few hrs when its Cold..but it beats sleeping outside..lol"

Thank you very much Frenchbar, that is a most generous offer. And you are on the route to my draw area too. Bonus.

No problem. glad I could help .

caddisguy
10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
I've found that handwarmers like they sell at Costco can make the difference between miserable and less miserable on a long cold night. NovemberBravo and I spent a cold night covered by a short canvas tarp and a bunch of handwarmers generated just enough heat to let us grab a bit of sleep instead of shivering all night.

Those things are pretty good. Sometimes I will heat up a few rocks--slightly larger than softballs--on the fire and wrap them in a bath towel. If do a couple of these and you get them nice and hot, but not hot enough to melt/singe/burn the towel(s), they will stay toasty all night tucked in your sleeping bag. Just make sure you tie them off good so the rock doesn't come out. There is some risk if getting burned/injured if you make a mistake so a hunting trip might not be the best opportunity to try mastering it, but it is more effective than cheaper than pocket warmers. I do this I'm tenting in the winter or sleeping in a truck. I always have a decent sleeping bag and some foam.