PDA

View Full Version : 3-12 Mule Doe Draw

xtrail
10-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I have a leh draw for antlerless mule deer in 3-12. How long should I plan my stay? Any good places to stay around there? Any suggestions on where to head, its my first time in that area. Thanks.

HarryToolips
10-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Go into the Island lake area, lots in there..

Wrayzer
10-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd plan to stay about 15 minutes because that's all it'll take.

xtrail
10-15-2013, 08:07 PM
I'd plan to stay about 15 minutes because that's all it'll take.
I am planning to stay for 2 nights if I have too, but lets hope your right. :)

xtrail
10-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Go into the Island lake area, lots in there..
I will give that area a look, thank you.

monasheemountainman
10-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Anywhere anytime deer everywhere back home bang flop back for breakfast

hare_assassin
10-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Mule doe anywhere in region 3 is like shooting fish in a barrel. Seriously. Even when you're not looking for them, there they are.

If you want to go up to the top end of 3-12 (not likely, considering your location) I could give you pretty specific instructions on where to find a good group of them. My buddy took a buck out of the group on Sunday. There was another buck with them, too. :)

xtrail
10-15-2013, 08:47 PM
We were planning on heading to the best available spot, never hunted in that area, so if the top end is better, I would rather go there. Any help would be much appreciated, the tag is for my son. Is it better to shoot a bigger mule doe or a smaller one? Just to put in the freezer.

Jelvis
10-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Take a medium size antlerless, a dry doe if you can
One with no fawns make the best eating. A yearling
The yearling will be about the size of a doe a lil smaller but bigger than a fawn.
Doe big, fawn small, yearling in betwixed.

jackpine
10-15-2013, 08:54 PM
10 minutes...

xtrail
10-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Take a medium size antlerless, a dry doe if you can
One with no fawns make the best eating. A yearling
The yearling will be about the size of a doe a lil smaller but bigger than a fawn.
Doe big, fawn small, yearling in betwixed.
Thanks Jelvis.

Jelvis
10-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Plan on going up for a couple days and a night.
Go up real early the first day from home or the night b4 you want to hunt.
Hunt all day til later in the day. Stay the night camped or in vehicle sleep.
Go out early as you can and see what happens.

depends some what on where your driving in from, find a road on the map that looks good.
Don't get in a hurry, enjoy your time out, that's important.
Look hard thru the trees and in meadow areas and under powerlines.
start early as you can in that day for better chances. First light.
Jelly Von Mule -- you will see whitetail deer too in this MU 3-12

BigfishCanada
10-15-2013, 09:13 PM
OK one thing I learned, when you don't have a LEH you see 100's a day, when you have one, everyone tells you they are seeing them but you.

sarg
10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
OK one thing I learned, when you don't have a LEH you see 100's a day, when you have one, everyone tells you they are seeing them but you.
That's sum it up right there,

Jelvis
10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
MU 3-12
Pennask Lake--Douglas Lake
Highland spruce and pine, many water courses and sloughs provide good grazing areas for deer towards the Nicola Valley from Hwy 5A, access Quilchena and the Douglas Lake Road.
Good luck hunter
Jelly Wagon

xtrail
10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
That's what I think is going to happen.

xtrail
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Plan on going up for a couple days and a night.
Go up real early the first day from home or the night b4 you want to hunt.
Hunt all day til later in the day. Stay the night camped or in vehicle sleep.
Go out early as you can and see what happens.

depends some what on where your driving in from, find a road on the map that looks good.
Don't get in a hurry, enjoy your time out, that's important.
Look hard thru the trees and in meadow areas and under powerlines.
start early as you can in that day for better chances. First light.
Jelly Von Mule -- you will see whitetail deer too in this MU 3-12
Thanks for the helpful info again Jelvis. We are going to leave the night before and camp, then leave early the next morning hunt all day, camp another night it we have to and hunt all day and leave for home that evening. My son will have his whitetail tag and I will too. It any whitetail for my son too, so maybe we'll get lucky.

xtrail
10-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, I will let you guys know how we do. This tag is for Nov.1-Nov.30, We will be there Nov.1 in the evening.

Jelvis
10-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Don't forget the rut will be on for mules on Nov 1 or so.
So when you see female deer a buck will be around the group.
maybe a four point sniffin around at the does.

xtrail
10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Don't forget the rut will be on for mules on Nov 1 or so.
So when you see female deer a buck will be around the group.
maybe a four point sniffin around at the does.
Thanks, yea four pointers will be open but when four point is open all I see is smaller bucks but when any buck is open I find some four pointers.

BearStump
10-15-2013, 09:50 PM
haha ya no kidding eh! My hunting partner had a doe draw in 3-12 last year and asked me that question. I told him not even to bring his trailer as he'd be home that night. Haha he went up there for 4 seperate day hunts till he bagged his doe. $800 in fuel later he had his yummy 90 lbs of meat. lol. nothing is a guarantee.

Jelvis
10-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Yah lol, but it will come together for you and son, if you get out early, be very gun safe and go slow from the start. Never panic and get too excited, show the son a safe way to hunt. It's should be a very enjoyable outing, that is what it's all about.
Camping out will be fun too, as well, anyways good luck again and we all look forward to your hunting story after your hunt.
jelly Bo Delli

xtrail
10-15-2013, 10:01 PM
He has been on multiple hunts so he is familiar with safe gun handling, and camping in the woods is always fun. Thanks again everyone.

hare_assassin
10-15-2013, 10:02 PM
We were planning on heading to the best available spot, never hunted in that area, so if the top end is better, I would rather go there. Any help would be much appreciated, the tag is for my son. Is it better to shoot a bigger mule doe or a smaller one? Just to put in the freezer.

I'll PM you tomorrow morning...

Jelvis
10-15-2013, 10:14 PM
You cood go up Douglas Lake road approx 6 km and you'll see two powerlines.
Hunt south of Douglas Lake road into MU 3-12
The one powerline goes to Meander Hills.
Just sayin but lots of areas to hunt.
Jel .. just one thought about an actual starting place to look at. And a heads up.
On the map you can see Indian Reserves, so you can measure the km's to be safe.
Lots and lots of Crowns Land to hunt.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
When driving up from the lower mainland you drive up Hwy 5 from Hope
Drive up to Merritt.
Turn on Exit 290 Nicola the Hwy 5A, the old hwy to Kamloops to reach Douglas Lake road.
Hwy 5A goes right past the shore of Nicola Lake
Grasslands supreme.
When driving off Hwy 5 @ Exit 290 to 5A you will see the brand new Greyhound Bus terminal.

xtrail
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks Jelvis, I've actually been by the Douglas Lake Ranch area, I saw lots of does there but didn't know hunting was open around there.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Hahha I wouldn't try hunting (on) the ranch lol. On Crown is ok but not the ranch.
Find out the boundaries and go from there.

caddisguy
10-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Very true! I was just out with some friends, one who had a doe draw and one chance to be out hunting this season. He was unable to fill the tag. The week prior, I saw well over a dozen and I could walk right up to them. Go figure. These does... they know!

xtrail
10-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Hahha I wouldn't try hunting (on) the ranch lol. On Crown is ok but not the ranch.
Find out the boundaries and go from there.
I know we can't hunt on the ranch but I didn't want to hunt in that area at the time as I didn't know the boundaries.

Sofa King
10-16-2013, 07:36 PM
I know we can't hunt on the ranch but I didn't want to hunt in that area at the time as I didn't know the boundaries.

between the ranches in there and the indian reserve land, I find it's easier to just hunt areas where one can roam freely without worry.

coach
10-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Those boundaries aren't clearly marked up that way. Best to clarify before you go (if you go that way). Also note - deer in the higher elevations of 3-12 (sunset/bear main off connector) usually push out by late october. Best to look for lower elevation areas.

xtrail
10-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Those boundaries aren't clearly marked up that way. Best to clarify before you go (if you go that way). Also note - deer in the higher elevations of 3-12 (sunset/bear main off connector) usually push out by late october. Best to look for lower elevation areas.
Yes exactly, some people have suggested that most of the deer would have migrated to region 8, there would obviously be some deer but I want to concentrate on lower areas that would contain deer in November.

Jelvis
10-16-2013, 08:04 PM
well you got to do some homework then cuz I can't take you out there lol.
If you listen to everybody and their fears about Indian reserve and the ranch you might as well stay home lol or or let them tell you, they are afraid of everything lol.
They know so much, how come they don't tell you the good spots then?
Look at the map it shows all the reserves in pink or some color.
What about Pennask Lake fsr then. lol
I'll let you pick yer own spot.
J

coach
10-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Come on, Jel - take him out there. Show a guy the ropes. :-D

Btw-pm sent, Xtrail.

xtrail
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I have a few spots in mind, thanks to the guys that pointed me in the right direction. They told me that the deer could have migrated from that area. It would make sense that the deer would push to lower elevation as the weather got worse.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
I know you're intent on going early November...but as mentioned the deer "may" have bailed out of the higher elevations b y then...depending upon the weather.
If you go later in November(say third week) you "know" they will have vacated the higher country and will be more concentrated down low.

SSS

hare_assassin
10-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Sorry I didn't PM before. I just did now.

Islandeer
10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Best advice on timing the migration, I don't hunt this region but mule deer like fir ridges that time of year. Nothing like hunting mulies in the timber, go explore and have fun.
I know you're intent on going early November...but as mentioned the deer "may" have bailed out of the higher elevations b y then...depending upon the weather.
If you go later in November(say third week) you "know" they will have vacated the higher country and will be more concentrated down low.

SSS

xtrail
10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Its no big deal if we don't fill the tag, it gives us an excuse to get out next time. I'll let you guys know how I do. Thanks everyone!

B-rad
10-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Ya noooo prob with the doe anywhere in region 3,,,,,,just in my area in kamloops (barnhartvale),,,I took a drive to around my place to end of road and back,( bout 1 km),,,around 6:30-7,,, and counted 21 does,,3 bucks,,4 fawns,,,and that's just what I could see off road in dark,,,for sure there more kickin around lol,,,