PDA

View Full Version : Help for a new hunter - Recently Skunked in 5-01

Percival
10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
A couple buddies and I started hunting last year along with a veteran hunter (20 years) from Sault St Marie and so far have had little luck finding good hunting spots near Vancouver (3-4 hour drive). One thing we have learned already is that most hunters will not share their sweet spots, but if you guys are able to point us in the general direction of decent deer hunting it would be much appreciated. But feel free to PM me if you feel like sharing more detailed information :). We got our Moose LEH for 5-01 this year and after spending 7 days in the bush we left with pictures of 5 cows, a calf, a black bear and a couple recently harvested bull hides, but no meat in the freezer.

Other than the recent trip to 5-01 we have spent most of our time in Pemberton, but if there are any other areas that are within range for an early morning drive that would be great. At this point we only have a 4x4 city truck but are looking into getting a quad or utv to help get us into more areas. We are all in decent shape and have no problem hiking in to find a decent spot, and hopefully hiking out with some meat. The veteran hunter is trying to show us the ropes, but without the local knowledge of where to go we are having a hard time seeing much of anything around here. For now, we are continuing to hunt in the mornings and scout mid day, but would like the opportunity to harvest a deer, moose or elk this year.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

monasheemountainman
10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
merritt, Kamloops, Kelowna, osoyoos, all areas with plenty of deer closeish to Vancouver. I would go back to try for your moose again before the end of the month! don't give up on that shit!

Percival
10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks monasheemountainman, our LEH was from Oct 1-15 so unfortunately we are out of luck for this year. We gave it a good effort though. 7 long days tracking sign that ended up being cows.

Moe.JKU
10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
I would say keep at it hard like you are, We had a LEH up that way in 5-12 and only filled 1 tag. Everyone with the exception of one hunter got skunked that we talked to up that way as well.

sapper
10-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Percival, we had the bull moose tag in 5-1 last year but for the last 2 weeks of Oct. When scouting we saw a number of bulls. When back with our tags we saw cow/calf combinations all over the place.
I like region 3 and region 8 right now. GOS - White-tail does and any buck both species.

Percival
10-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi Percival, we had the bull moose tag in 5-1 last year but for the last 2 weeks of Oct. When scouting we saw a number of bulls. When back with our tags we saw cow/calf combinations all over the place.
I like region 3 and region 8 right now. GOS - White-tail does and any buck both species.

Thanks Sapper. Yeah we saw your post last year about the LEH in 5-01 while we were scouring the forum for any ideas on where to look next. Was hoping to PM you for some tips, but could get my account activated in time.

Wade
10-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Uummm.its called HUNTING

avadad
10-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Uummm.its called HUNTING

x 2!

I think one mistake new hunters make is that they believe all they need to do is take a walk in the woods with a rifle and they will come home with a bunch of meat. Hunting is an opportunity to spend time outdoors and to learn about a fascinating sport. I've started hunting over 35 years ago and I learn something new every year. Glad to see that you are teamed up with a mentor. However if he has not hunted blacktails before he will be in for a few lessons as well. One of the keys to being successful is to start you hunting season in the spring. Scouting may be the best tool you can have to begin to fill the freezer. Also realize that the best hunting is still several weeks away. Keep going out and learning and be prepared because often an opportunity will only present itself for a few seconds! I did not kill a deer in my first 7 years of hunting but I never wanted to quit. If you love the outdoors you will appreciate hunting for the experience it is. Lot's of great hunting 3-4 hours from Vancouver. Good luck!

Phreddy
10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
You got my vote on that avidad. That's why it's called "hunting" instead of shooting. Take the time to enjoy the experience of incredible scenery and signts and fellowship around the fire at the end of the day. The animals will happen when you least expect it. The higher your expectations the more frustrating the hunt. Even the most experienced hunter go through "dry spells" where they don't shoot their critter for a season or few.
x 2!

I think one mistake new hunters make is that they believe all they need to do is take a walk in the woods with a rifle and they will come home with a bunch of meat. Hunting is an opportunity to spend time outdoors and to learn about a fascinating sport. I've started hunting over 35 years ago and I learn something new every year. Glad to see that you are teamed up with a mentor. However if he has not hunted blacktails before he will be in for a few lessons as well. One of the keys to being successful is to start you hunting season in the spring. Scouting may be the best tool you can have to begin to fill the freezer. Also realize that the best hunting is still several weeks away. Keep going out and learning and be prepared because often an opportunity will only present itself for a few seconds! I did not kill a deer in my first 7 years of hunting but I never wanted to quit. If you love the outdoors you will appreciate hunting for the experience it is. Lot's of great hunting 3-4 hours from Vancouver. Good luck!