PDA

View Full Version : Management plan for the grey wolf in B.C.

*bcgold*
10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I found this draft management plan on wolves in B.C.. Couldn't find the finalized plan, but if this is the plan, not really looking good for moose, deer, and elk. Unless your a rancher or mountain caribou, I personally got a feeling from the long reading they will not be doing much in the near future.

Here the link and see what you get out of it.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/public-consultation/grey-wolf/docs/PublicConsultation-WolfManagementPlan.pdf

Argali
10-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Nice link. Outside of the caribou areas, it looks like there is no management plan other than to allow wolf hunting over a relatively long season.

They note that woves can withstand high harvest rates. If wolf populations are to be reduced through hunting, it looks like the harvest rates must be increased substantially from just over 1000/year to perhaps 3000 or 4000/year if their estimate of about 8500 wolves in the province is accurate.

With approximately 100,000 hunters of whom perhaps 35,000 take to the field regularly with rifles, this would require a harvest of about 1 wolf for every 10 hunters. That would seem to be an attainable harvest rate if there was a three of four fold increase in effort.

Previously, I was of the opinion that hunting alone could not reduce wolf numbers noticeably. However, these numbers appear to indicate that quadrupling the current wolf harvest could reduce the wolf population measurably. If larger numbers of hunters started to hunt wolves seriously, particularly during the winter and mating season when they are more vulnerable, it could be possible to reduce populations through hunting alone.

sako_300
10-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Have a read on the Peace Northern Caribou Plan

adriaticum
10-15-2013, 08:57 AM
The management plan is to go out and shoot a few if you can find them.

Phreddy
10-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Once they've been shot they become good wolves.