PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used a Duck Commander call?

Ranger95
10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
If so, which one? and how well did it work? I'm not sure if you're paying for the quality of the call or just the hype that surrounds the brand.

mattchu_19
10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
DC calls will get the job done but most of their stuff are just mass produced poly calls. If you go back about 5 years when they weren't duck danasty you could buy theirs calls for dirt cheap now everything is big money just cause the hype. You can buy way better calls out there. Matt

russm
10-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Not sure if its the quality of the calls or the hype if the show but there section in stores is always empty......

Fella
10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
I think the biggest thing is knowing how to properly use the call. Have a cousin who has a cheapo primo call and he always gets his limit because he knows how to properly use it.

On the flip side I know a guy with a super expensive custom built call a she can't use it worth crap and never shoots anything.

barklee
10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
I have two. The original wood Classic Commander sounds great and really turns the ducks but the new one called the Uncle SI does work very well. Its very plastic sounding doesn't have the resonance.

Kudu
10-14-2013, 01:37 PM
If so, which one? and how well did it work? I'm not sure if you're paying for the quality of the call or just the hype that surrounds the brand.

If you don't have a Saunders traffic on your lanyard - you don't have a goose call.........:mrgreen:

Blacktail makes a really nice duck call - you don't even have to paint your face to get it to work properly!

Foxton Gundogs
10-14-2013, 04:59 PM
IMO the best reasonably prices mass produced call is a Buck Gardner, I just like how they blow. Hunter Specialties aren't to bad either. That being said I've never blown a Duck Commander call, but watching the price climb with the shows popularity I think they have become over priced.

Dutch
10-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Have one of there mallard drake calls that doubles as a widgeon whistle.Is it a must have ,no but works and have called a few birds in with it.Use it when the birds are getting shy of everything else, was cheap too.

bandit
10-18-2013, 01:11 PM
I think the biggest thing is knowing how to properly use the call. Have a cousin who has a cheapo primo call and he always gets his limit because he knows how to properly use it.

Yeah but no but yeah.... I have about half a dozen calls, none expensive. Some sound good and some sound crap. Some stick after two blows and some will not stick even in the coldest wettest conditions. So yes cheap calls can sound good. But even the best duck caller in the world can't make a primos sound realistic when it's stuck together. And some calls need a fair bit of tuning to get the right sound while some just won't tune at all(eg I couldn't tune my my zink power hen and sent it back to the factory but it still sounds 2 octaves too high no matter how I blow it).

bandit
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
IMO the best reasonably prices mass produced call is a Buck Gardner.

Agreed - you can even get them in custom colors with your name laser etched onto the barrel.

Foxton Gundogs
10-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Agreed - you can even get them in custom colors with your name laser etched onto the barrel.

Yep I ordered a bunch of Double Nasty IIs green on green with my kennel name on them to give away with my pups, They sound good, need little or no tuning and are reasonably priced.

field marshal
10-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Yep I ordered a bunch of Double Nasty IIs green on green with my kennel name on them to give away with my pups, They sound good, need little or no tuning and are reasonably priced.

Heyyyyyy??? Jim you gave us each a call ,but you forgot to give us our pup???:mrgreen: Cheers----Field Marshal.

fowl language
10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
how in hell did you get a call, tony? I hinted about as much as a guy can hint ,short of begging and I got nothing. it must be an island thing I guess. I guess I will just go buy one.....fowl

Foxton Gundogs
10-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Dale just tell me you are going to start shooting ducks again there's 1 with your name on it, just holding it for you till you come to your senses, come Come to the dark side . LMFatAO

fowl language
10-19-2013, 10:49 PM
I was hoping to get the often cherished foxton gundog call to put on my mantle along with other highly prized momentos. I could add it to my call collection and would be probably my most valued possession, but low I shall suffer on...dreaming of the day....fowl language

Foxton Gundogs
10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I was hoping to get the often cherished foxton gundog call to put on my mantle along with other highly prized momentos. I could add it to my call collection and would be probably my most valued possession, but low I shall suffer on...dreaming of the day....fowl language

OK OK I can't stand to see a grown man snivel next trip over I promise.

mattchu_19
10-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Got this beauty in the mail today

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/mattchu_19/saunders13.jpg (http://s274.photobucket.com/user/mattchu_19/media/saunders13.jpg.html)

warnniklz
10-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I got a mallard drake call and a duck picker...

Duck picker is loud. I think it sounds pretty good. Except I find I can't get a good chuckle out of it. I still prefer my faulks double reed duck call that my dad bequeathed to me. I find it has a warmer tone to it and if you bung up a quack it doesn't stand out as bad as the duck picker.

I just picked up the mallard drake call 2 days ago. Took my a couple tries to figure it out... ok I had to look it up on youtube. So I don't really have a yay or nay on it.

I'd still like to try the triple threat... just to see what the hoopla is about.