PDA

View Full Version : Princeton, Tulameen, China Crk, Whipsaw, Lamonte

Deer_Slayer
10-13-2013, 11:33 PM
For the rich, there's therapy.... For the rest of us, there is hunting and fishing.

luckofthedraw
10-14-2013, 12:20 AM
I think your just bitter from coming home empty. There are deer all over these areas and Princeton holds a TON of deer. I know people bringing deer home every season from these areas. Trouble is....it is about a 20-1 doe to buck ratio. It is the most accessible day trip for people from the lower mainland, therefore, it is very over hunted. They are there though. It's called hunting, not killing.

Padron
10-14-2013, 12:31 AM
I think your just bitter from coming home empty. There are deer all over these areas and Princeton holds a TON of deer. I know people bringing deer home every season from these areas. Trouble is....it is about a 20-1 doe to buck ratio. It is the most accessible day trip for people from the lower mainland, therefore, it is very over hunted. They are there though. It's called hunting, not killing.

Luckofthedraw, meet Sarcasm. Sarcasm, this is Luckofthedraw.

Sofa King
10-14-2013, 01:22 AM
I read it as the op trying to steer others away from his area.
but I suppose it could be the other.
still, to this day, one of the best bucks I've ever seen, was up that area.

Big Lew
10-14-2013, 06:56 AM

I'm inclined to agree...and yes, there are large 'private enterprise' ranches allowing no hunting (except their guests) and that is where a lot of the deer are. I know of one ranch that has blinds set up in strategic spots just for their guests.

Steeleco
10-14-2013, 07:59 AM
One less person in those nice areas. And yes there are animals in there, just not everywhere and every time.

Weatherby Fan
10-14-2013, 08:40 AM
I would have to agree these areas are totally hunted out and along with the wolf problem.......areas 3,4 and 5 are the same as area 8,

Best take up meat hunting at Costco......it's way cheaper and everytime I go I have success, but man did I get the looks when I was posing for a picture in full camo holding up my trophy tenderloin beef steaks...........!

Field pictures aren't quite as pretty as an alpine bowl in September in area 8 but this day and age you gotta take what you can get to ensure success every trip out.

If you get to Costco by 10am on a week day there's hardly anyone there and you can pick a big trophy steak and drop him..................into your buggy and be back home in an hour, the other thing thats handy about Costco when out hunting is it's just a short hike to the quick take out restaurant, grab a hotdog and a coke for under $2 and be back hunting within minutes.
Happy Hunting
WF

carnivore
10-14-2013, 08:54 AM
These areas all suck and are not worth wasting your time going to. There are those on here that are making false posts about the abundance of game in these areas. Nothing can be further from the truth. We have covered this area repeatedly and see NO deer at all period..nill..nada....zip. Hunting costs enough money as it is, so don't waste your hard earned dollar hunting this shit hole. The entire area is surrounded by private ranch enterprises. Don't fall for the info posted on this "hunting forum". It is bullshit, intended to make you go to the shitty places where there is NO game at all! To save others more wasted time and money you should include Christian Valley in your list. No deer there, might as well avoid the crap hole.

cgizen
10-14-2013, 08:57 AM
I would have to agree these areas are totally hunted out and along with the wolf problem.......areas 3,4 and 5 are the same as area 8,

Best take up meat hunting at Costco......it's way cheaper and everytime I go I have success, but man did I get the looks when I was posing for a picture in full camo holding up my trophy tenderloin beef steaks...........!

Field pictures aren't quite as pretty as an alpine bowl in September in area 8 but this day and age you gotta take what you can get to ensure success every trip out.

If you get to Costco by 10am on a week day there's hardly anyone there and you can pick a big trophy steak and drop him..................into your buggy and be back home in an hour, the other thing thats handy about Costco when out hunting is it's just a short hike to the quick take out restaurant, grab a hotdog and a coke for under $2 and be back hunting within minutes.
Happy Hunting
WF

Lmao, love it!!

dino
10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
These areas all suck and are not worth wasting your time going to. There are those on here that are making false posts about the abundance of game in these areas. Nothing can be further from the truth. We have covered this area repeatedly and see NO deer at all period..nill..nada....zip. Hunting costs enough money as it is, so don't waste your hard earned dollar hunting this shit hole. The entire area is surrounded by private ranch enterprises. Don't fall for the info posted on this "hunting forum". It is bullshit, intended to make you go to the shitty places where there is NO game at all!
were you driving a jeep?

ruger#1
10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
were you driving a jeep?
He must hunt in the middle of the day.

davet
10-14-2013, 09:29 AM
I was just up in that area last week for 1 day(less than 24 hrs), Saw a ALOT of deer tracks a few elk and moose too. spotted around 10 grouse and 2 black bear. Almost shot 1. bs that there is nothing up there.

Fella
10-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Happy Hunting
WF

only problem is it's closed to vehicles including quads so you gotta get out and put some miles on your boots!

nature girl
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
You just have to get out of your truck and walk and glass and walk and glass.

Deer_Slayer
10-14-2013, 10:04 AM
I was not in my truck. Me and my partner hiked the ridges and camped at top of rabbit mtn. and we glassed, and we walked and we glassed. I have now hunted this shit hole 3 years straight and have seen not one deer in the hunting grounds. I have not seen one deer dropping on a trail or in the woods. I have seen one black bear sow with 2 cubs going into the ranch property at Lamonte Sign. I have seen about 1000 ****ing jeeps, quads, dirt bikes, pickup trucks. The locals use these areas to rip around in their 4x4's. I am sure there are a few deer. But a huntable populations worth all your $$$$ to seek? Nope. I take issue with smart ass comments that I must be a road hunter. I have never road hunted in my life and have hunted all over BC since 1979. This area is 80% private ranches, and I can guarantee when you have huge ranches, you have assholes that kill every predator within 20 miles. The bear population must be almost wiped out. Show me any other area in BC that you can't find evidence of bear activity? It's a shithole to lure lower mainland hunters to waste their dollars.

Deer_Slayer
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I think you need to clarify something. Princeton holds a ton of deer......on the private ranches. In the public access areas there are 12.

Davy Crockett
10-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Saw the nicest buck of my somewhat short hunting career right on Tulameen FSR maybe a 1/2 hour off the Coquihalla. Only problem was it was youth season and my daughter couldn't seal the deal.

ruger#1
10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
I was not in my truck. Me and my partner hiked the ridges and camped at top of rabbit mtn. and we glassed, and we walked and we glassed. I have now hunted this shit hole 3 years straight and have seen not one deer in the hunting grounds. I have not seen one deer dropping on a trail or in the woods. I have seen one black bear sow with 2 cubs going into the ranch property at Lamonte Sign. I have seen about 1000 ****ing jeeps, quads, dirt bikes, pickup trucks. The locals use these areas to rip around in their 4x4's. I am sure there are a few deer. But a huntable populations worth all your $$$$ to seek? Nope. I take issue with smart ass comments that I must be a road hunter. I have never road hunted in my life and have hunted all over BC since 1979. This area is 80% private ranches, and I can guarantee when you have huge ranches, you have assholes that kill every predator within 20 miles. The bear population must be almost wiped out. Show me any other area in BC that you can't find evidence of bear activity? It's a shithole to lure lower mainland hunters to waste their dollars.
This is what I would do. GO FIND A DIFFERENT AREA.

nature girl
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Deer-Slayer my boyfriend and I get alteast a deer each every year out of one of those areas you mentioned.
You just have to take the time and the right time and you will connect on a deer.
And we see bears to.

Rackem
10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
LMAO I hate to tell you this, but the last few times I have driven through Princeton, have seen HUGE mulie bucks on the side of the highway, as well as several black bears....Definitely animals in there, in fact I happen to know of a few nice honey holes that I intend to check out next year. The fella and his wife that I am going with always get Trophy mulies in Princeton area...he is not a meat hunter at all.

And here is a link to a guide that says: "The quality of bucks harvested over the past years has been the same in both the early and the late season. We have a 75% success rate on trophy bucks scoring 160 Boone & Crockett and better. The bucks in this area have a lot of mass with deep forks. The average inside spread is 20-24 inches and the outside spread ranges from 20-30o inches with cheaters. Although our deer populations are very good, sometimes they are not visible because of the heavy treed cover which they live in. If you are looking for a trophy mule deer with mass and deep forks in British Columbia’s best mule deer hunting area, this is the place to consider for your next hunt."
http://www.ashnolaguideoutfitter.com/muledeerhunt.html

cfree
10-14-2013, 10:42 AM
I was up the Tulameen 2 weeks ago for my first hunt in that area. The first cut block we went into we found, lots of deer shit and some bear as well. Found lots fresh droppings but didn't see any deer. I am sure if I was at first or last light, you would see some deer. FYI we weren't at mountain tops but more mid to lower mountain. I had some buddies go through there last week and they got a buck. Too bad you had such a bad experience. Personally, if I hunt an area and find no signs of animals, I wouldn't spend the next 3 years pounding the same area. Lots of deer being taken in other areas so maybe go explore somewhere else. Just a thought!

ruger#1
10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
At this time of the year the deer and elk are migrating or have already migrated off the hill tops. And when the snow hits they start migrating to the lower regions. AKA farmers feilds. And the Ashonola.

brig
10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
I've never hunted at least some of these areas without seeing deer. Took a nice little meat buck out there last year.

HarryToolips
10-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree with Rackem, I've seen huge deer there, and my buddy works there and he's seen some monsters..in fact, I think all you hunters from the coast should just all head that a' way that'll be your best bet for scorin a big one...

dino
10-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I meant no disrespect bud, I was up there and thought there was a small chance I may have spoken to you. I always talk to people in the bush. I know what you mean about the ranch at the start there. Ive see muleys wintering there every year, its a beauty spot.

adriaticum
10-14-2013, 08:15 PM
When you were glassing, did you take the caps off of the binos?

luckofthedraw
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
For the rich, there's therapy.... For the rest of us, there is hunting and fishing.

hmmm,case closed I guess.

Steeleco
10-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I agree with Rackem, I've seen huge deer there, and my buddy works there and he's seen some monsters..in fact, I think all you hunters from the coast should just all head that a' way that'll be your best bet for scorin a big one...

You trying to trick us Harry, quick where's 8-11 LOL :)

Deer_Slayer
10-14-2013, 10:09 PM
not me..driving a Ford ranger

Deer_Slayer
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I couldn't. I had a beer in my other hand. lol

Savage7mm
10-14-2013, 10:58 PM
I am not sure where you are hunting in those areas but I have hunted them and every time I can line up on a meat buck within the first 24 hours.

604redneck
10-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Happy Hunting
WF
lol i almost pissed my self......

Weatherby Fan
10-14-2013, 11:06 PM
lol i almost pissed my self......

It can't be all doom and gloom on HBC we have to have a good balance of humour also !

Iron Glove
10-15-2013, 08:35 AM
not me..driving a Ford ranger

Well there ya' go, I've never seen anything from my Ford Ranger so I just upgraded to a F-150. :wink:
Now I will see and harvest tons of tasty animals in the area.
Biggest buck I've ever seen was taken by my Tulameen neighbour's kid low on Rabbett Mountain, my kid's buddy just took a huge bear in Princeton a few days ago. My last deer was taken almost walking distance from Downtown Tulameen.
There are Members here who regularly take animals in that area.
Yes, the whole area experiences hunting pressure that is high due to it's proximity to the Lower Mainland but there are lots of animals running around there, just gotta find them.
Give it another try and better luck next time.

REMINGTON JIM
10-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Happy Hunting
WF

LMAO ! thats too FUNNY ! :mrgreen: RJ

mikeman20
10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Rabbit is covered in so much traffic that I find it funny you would even consider hunting there. Try a mountain that isn't 300 meters from tulameen

Iron Glove
10-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Rabbit is covered in so much traffic that I find it funny you would even consider hunting there. Try a mountain that isn't 300 meters from tulameen

Common, it's at least 500 meters away, that makes it wilderness. ;)

BuckNaked
10-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I like how the OP has completely edited his opening salvo to a single line with no relevance to his original statement. What a man, can't take the heat of your own words????

Rackem
10-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I like how the OP has completely edited his opening salvo to a single line with no relevance to his original statement. What a man, can't take the heat of your own words????

He probably got a nice buck and changed his mind about it. It does get a trifle warm in here from time to time....

Phreddy
10-15-2013, 09:59 PM
It's also a gong show with a 50-1 hunter to buck ratio. I hunt out of area so that I stand a better chance of not getting gut shot and left to die in the bush.

Muliechaser
10-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Lets put it this way... Uhmmm there are deer everywere in this province .
Especially princton. Think like a deer. Hunt in between pressured areas. Slow down , stand there for 20 minutes not moving a muscle, observe and just when u want to start moving again stand there for ten more . Always have cover , stand behind a tree. Hunting isnt easy and takes years to get it right. I constantly made mistakes untill i got serious about it! . You hear sometimes how guys say others have horse shoes up there ass. Sometimes thats the case but most times it is just plain old doin it right. Takes time man it aint over yet

Mc

caddisguy
10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
LMAO I hate to tell you this, but the last few times I have driven through Princeton, have seen HUGE mulie bucks on the side of the highway, as well as several black bears....Definitely animals in there, in fact I happen to know of a few nice honey holes that I intend to check out next year. The fella and his wife that I am going with always get Trophy mulies in Princeton area...he is not a meat hunter at all.

Too funny. My brother is a long haul trucker and he's all over BC. He sees (and hits) more deer on the highway around Princeton than anywhere else in the province.

Iron Glove
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Too funny. My brother is a long haul trucker and he's all over BC. He sees (and hits) more deer on the highway around Princeton than anywhere else in the province.

Problem is that most of the deer are right in Princeton and they are smart enough to know they are safe. If they ever opened up the Town of Princeton for deer hunting it would be great except as Phreddy stated, there would be a lot of shot up hunters. :mrgreen:

Qwest Coast
11-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Any one in the Princton area out there able to host a solo hunter? Short notice but all I need is a bunk. I have the LEH Moose for 8-6.

swampdonkey
11-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Any one in the Princton area out there able to host a solo hunter? Short notice but all I need is a bunk. I have the LEH Moose for 8-6.

Stay at 1 of the hotels . I think you should've posted earlier . Your draw is half done now. Good luck

wideopenthrottle
11-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Happy Hunting
WF
that thar is some funny stuff

bc_buckshot
11-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Nope....No deer in those spots at all just move on to other regions...

Tulameen

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/image_zps6abb6078.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/image_zps6abb6078.jpg.html)

Princeton (outside)

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/image_zpscc8be1b5.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/image_zpscc8be1b5.jpg.html)

and the list goes on........

Katanajay
11-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Nope no deer near Princeton, especially Nov 1 weekend. http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc258/CaymanJay/IMG_5221.jpg

ACE
11-17-2015, 08:09 PM

Find a 'new to you' spot to hunt ..... the rest of us that regularly harvest deer from Princeton, Tulameen, and Whipsaw areas will just 'carry on' ...... :mrgreen: