PDA

View Full Version : little bit of a scare..

srupp
10-13-2013, 11:04 AM
went in deer hunting yesterday at a gated section of land, had permission..went in about 1 pm spooked a 4 pt and a 2 point on arriving..:???:...so Tim and I settled in doing some glassing..saw some does and fawns..and then a buck walked out so I decieded to move in for a possible shot.

Some time later Im closer and have my scope settled on the buck..and in the same field of view I see two other hunters..sitting on a log..right beside the buck..then I noticed 2 other bigger bucks coming in behind the first buck...the hunters turned to look at the 2 new bucks and that spooked # 1 buck game over...MAD!!!!:evil::evil::evil: THESE CLOWNS WERE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY through a closed locked gate and at least 2 kms inside the ranch land. However it was the unnerving site of 2 humans in the scope while a bullet is racked and loaded and the safety was already off and finger on the trigger ...completely camoed and sitting still I didn't see them until they moved for the second group of bucks...

they scooted and didn't get a truck license # private property gated locked....and still could have been a tragedy....some peoples idiots..

steven

Ozone
10-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Some properties give permission to more than 1 hunter.

srupp
10-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Some properties give permission to more than 1 hunter.

hmmm yes Im aware of that however the only other hunter with permission was with me...absolutely 100 % no other hunters are ALLOWED on the gated property.Checked with the owner 24 hrs previously and he confirmed who had permission.This time they were 100% trespassers and poachers.

steven

hawk-i
10-13-2013, 12:05 PM
That's hunting!! good thing no one got hurt, to bad it screwed up your chance at the buck but if you are in fact the the only one with permission, chances are good that you will still get a shot at the same bucks close to the same spot at a later date.
good luck!

Rackem
10-13-2013, 12:13 PM
That is scary! Thank goodness that no one was hurt. Too bad you didn't get a plate...

Ozone
10-13-2013, 12:29 PM
That definitely sucks then. Glad you didn't have to use you skills to keep the trespasser alive.

adriaticum
10-13-2013, 12:46 PM
It's a scary thought. The last thing you want is some fool's life on your hands. They may be fools but still.

srupp
10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
just kind of shook me up pointing a loaded weapon to find humans in the view..

steven

srupp
10-13-2013, 01:48 PM
That definitely sucks then. Glad you didn't have to use you skills to keep the trespasser alive.

ya I probably could have helped with them with their wounds from the shot..but not the field dressing attempts..lol OOOPS

XPEIer
10-13-2013, 04:36 PM
I guess this is why orange is required in some provinces.

Ambush
10-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Why didn't you shot the log they were sitting on? As trespassers, I'm sure they would not have come yelling and complaining. And they may think more about their sneaky activities.

Big Lew
10-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I very glad you saw them, and that nothing bad happened. That's pretty scary stuff!

russm
10-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Maybe they didn't come through the gate? Maybe they came in from elsewhere and didn't know thy were on private land?

and you pointed a loaded firearm at them not a loaded weapon :p lol, just what I was taught in CORE haha

Sofa King
10-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Why didn't you shot the log they were sitting on? As trespassers, I'm sure they would not have come yelling and complaining. And they may think more about their sneaky activities.

heck, shoot the deer and claim your game.

but being that they were in the scope's field of view, that's a little too close.
did they not shoot any of the bucks either?

Jelvis
10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Maybe use binoculors from now on to see if someone is behind the trophy 4 point mule.
I know people get mad when scoped on a rifle.
Prolly scared the crap out of the guy or gal when they got scoped out.
Can't assume anything, like me and my buddy are the only humans allowed in here so no one else is going to be in here ever again in my lifetime, cuz the farmer said so.
Man I don't want to imagine what could have happened if you let fly with a high power rifle Steve. I can see why you were like all shook up.
Something to be thankful for this weekend even more now.
Jel .. glad your ok rupp you did right and noticed it b4 it caused a huge tradgedy.

knockturnal
10-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Trespassers and poachers dont wear orange.

nano
10-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Trespassers and poachers dont wear orange.

Oh yes they do!

3006pg
10-13-2013, 07:48 PM
oh that there cracks me up:mrgreen:

Jelvis
10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
It's another persons life and we must look close like Steven did, he looked beyond and around b4 sqweezing that trigger of his high powered rifle.
It doe's happen.
B4 squeasing her off, look close in the line of sight, like Srupp did.
Thanks Steve for the heads up hunter.
Jel-a moment in time can turn on a dime, be sure of your target .. steve rocks

Sofa King
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
how is it that there were three bucks, four hunters, and nobody got a deer?

Weatherby Fan
10-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Come on duallie ya never ruin a good hunting story with the truth............

Caribou_lou
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
If they were in your scope with the deer they must have been close to those bucks!

Jelvis
10-13-2013, 09:19 PM
A hunter on a ridge with mule deer on it can be hunting along and sees a whole bunch of deer only fifty yards away as the hunter looks over.
Not realizing there could be another hunter hiding close to the deer in a bush just behind the deer.
Jel it does happen so be prepared to look even more now that this happened

boxhitch
10-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Private or not , trespassing or not , no one should be scoping out the surroundings with a rifle scope. Thats what binos are for.
Good on ya for being safe and regarding the background

finngun
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
ORANGE or any bright colour might save some lives...i always wear some bright ..on me..i don't care if i have lost some animals for that,,,but maybe save my own and only live...safety first:-D

srupp
10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
sheesh we both Tim and I actually did use binos to look at the deer..and I came down off the ridge to get closer and had to come slightly around a hill..I did use the binos to check the buck and for other bucks..the 2 others were slightly uphill behind the first...the poachers were just around the hill , Tim was using the spotting scope and the hill also hid the poachers...when the deer moved slightly to his left I moved down hill and to my right and set up for the shot..it was only when I raised the rifle and got ready for the shot one of the hunters turned to look at the 2 more bucks joining the party that I got the shock of humans in the field of view.;

there is a locked gate, and signs... one side is a highway and fenced, gated the next side is a rd and fenced and gated and the back 2 sides are fenced 1500 feet above the cliffs...

No doubt they knew they were trespassing 100%...Tim and I have exclusive rights to hunt there..100%..we did use hunter safety... binos and spotter scope..last thing we expected was trespasser/poachers..

We had discussed a 508 yard shot from our original vantage point but knew I could cut it down to 200 yards\(204)...just the lay of the land and the hill..and how I had to manouver for a decent shot and a good solid rest put me in a firing direction that held the 2 poachers in the same field of view...just upsetting to find ones self in such a position..it truly was a good thing I was not rushed or anxious or inexperienced..and in spite of all these precautions it still was a scarey moment for me personally .A thanksgiving moment..nothing bad happened in a bad situation..

cheers
Steven

Rackem
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM
....? lost the rest?

Orange still gets shot at, I am not convinced that idiots will avoid shooting you because you are wearing Orange...in fact, it seems from the US experience that they tend to be shot at more often...

REMINGTON JIM
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

You opened your mouth again and guess what fell out :confused: LOL RJ

srupp
10-14-2013, 10:39 AM
hmmm first 2 just beat me...I lost/..lol the last three safety won out...and I cant speak for the poachers..and this time I had "dibs" over Tim for a very very funny reason...really funny..

steven

Big Lew
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
....? lost the rest?

Orange still gets shot at, I am not convinced that idiots will avoid shooting you because you are wearing Orange...in fact, it seems from the US experience that they tend to be shot at more often...

You're so right! I'll relate a story I previously told...
There are 3 canyons on the south side of Little Savona Mt. between Indian Garden Ranch and the Thompson River. There are sage brush flats with no trees between them. As my Dad and I were walking through these flats, both wearing blight red hats, somebody(s)? repeatedly shot at us from Little Savona Mt. I don't remember just how many shots were fired, possibly 4-6, but they were far enough away that we could hear the bullets whistling before they hit the ground by us. We were convinced that they were shooting at our red hats because the rest of our bodies were screened by the brush. When we hunkered down and removed our hats they stopped shooting. In my 53 years of being in the outdoors I've had bullets whiz past me several times, but that incident was the most blatant attempt to purposely hit me of them all.

Singleshotneeded
10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it's only a good thing to have a person in your scope's crosshairs when it's wartime...glad it all turned out safely, but it sucks you missed out on a four point because of those idiots!

finngun
10-14-2013, 02:35 PM
....? lost the rest?

anyone can get to shot -orange-or not..but i don't belive a moment to be safer in forest by not using orange or any bright color,[not white],nobody in right mind [or sober] shoot anything that color...
and BIG LEWS story,,my theory is ,,somebody just wanna scare you away,,,happened to my friend some years ago..still not happy situation..you don't wanna return the fire:confused:--- or do yu?

Jagermeister
10-14-2013, 03:14 PM
you don't wanna return the fire:confused:--- or do yu? I did once over near Rock Creek eons ago. French canadian guy with coke bottle bottoms for glasses laid a couple of shots in my direction that landed oh so close. I laid one into a large boulder nearby his hughly lardass. He hollered "Sacre bleu, don't shoot". I made my way down to chew him out, then I spotted the glasses. The glasses explained it all, crap, he was nearly blind. I suggested that he give up hunting if he was so visually impaired. He may have, never saw him again.
Chances are, those that shot at you cannot really tell what they are shooting at aside from some object that moves.
Maybe a manatory eye test every so often before issuance of a hunting licence would be in order.

Rackem
10-14-2013, 03:21 PM
nobody in right mind [or sober] shoot anything that color

There is the fatal flaw...my dad was wearing a bright red hat and had someone fire at him also. I doubt that person was of sane mind.

RE: the visual impairment, I am visually impaired, but I just take safe shots. I don't ever glass with a scope mounted on a gun. I take only safe, closer shots. I observe for a long time prior to shooting. I can drive, so I figure if you are allowed to drive, you should be ok to hunt within your limitations.

I was legally blind for four years, and during that time, I did not shoot at all. I went along as camp cook on hunting trips, or was the gutter. Since I have vision restored to one eye via a corneal transplant, I have started shooting and hunting again.

finngun
10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
rackem--please read my story--//anyone can get to shot -orange-or not..but i don't belive a moment to be safer in forest by not using orange or any bright color,//

i can't still belive orange hat or whatever,,is something what normal hunter is willing to shoot ..yes it's has happened...and i still use my red hat while hunting,,no holes on it ..not yet anyways..

Jelvis
10-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Almer Fudd wore a red hat folks.
My idea is wear cammo cuz if you wear bright colors they will see something and shoot.
Don't make any difference to deer they can only see in blue and yellows
As long as the pattern is broken up, a deer can't see the red color
When you wear one color in a shiny material the deer can see it
Deer go by seeing movement, if you sit still in all blaze orange broken pattern the deer won't even see your colors.
The key is no movement
Jel ..

frenchbar
10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
red n brown hathttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OdCx7pACI9M/TTVLIUxhuVI/AAAAAAAAAKI/ANeGBTD8S4Q/s1600/Elmer+Fudd+pictures+looney+tunes-+Elmer+Fudd+Color+Sticker.jpg#elmer%20fudd

Big Lew
10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
anyone can get to shot -orange-or not..but i don't belive a moment to be safer in forest by not using orange or any bright color,[not white],nobody in right mind [or sober] shoot anything that color...
and BIG LEWS story,,my theory is ,,somebody just wanna scare you away,,,happened to my friend some years ago..still not happy situation..you don't wanna return the fire:confused:--- or do yu?

Could very well have been, but those bullets were landing within 5-6 feet from us, both above and below, and were coming from a rifle at least 1000 yds away. As for 'returning fire', we had absolutely no idea just where on that mountain they were shooting from, and there were cattle all over the entire area, never mind the possibility of other hunters or ranch hands from Indian Garden Ranch (which we had permission to hunt from).

Rackem
10-14-2013, 05:29 PM
rackem--please read my story--//anyone can get to shot -orange-or not..but i don't belive a moment to be safer in forest by not using orange or any bright color,//

i can't still belive orange hat or whatever,,is something what normal hunter is willing to shoot ..yes it's has happened...and i still use my red hat while hunting,,no holes on it ..not yet anyways..

Where is your story finngun? I still think I prefer not wearing bright orange...I'll stick to my green wool pants and whatever colour coat I have...There are enough nutjobs, draft dodgers, hunters who hunt hunters, and drunks for me not to want to stand out to other humans...

Gunsmoke
10-14-2013, 09:49 PM
That really sucks Steven but in the end, nobody was hurt which is more important than the rest.....

On a personal note, I always wear a cap or toque what is at least part flourescent (blaze) orange and I demand the same of both of my young sons when they hunt with me. It is amazing how a little bit of bright orange sticks out from a distance........it's probably the most important and basic piece of safety equipment........

Safe and bountiful hunting to all

rides bike to work
10-14-2013, 10:17 PM
I talked to a ranch hand near Princeton the other day that admitted to shooting at the tree beside a hunter who was trespassing to scare him. He said it was common practice with the ranchers.

Gunsmoke
10-14-2013, 10:51 PM
I talked to a ranch hand near Princeton the other day that admitted to shooting at the tree beside a hunter who was trespassing to scare him. He said it was common practice with the ranchers.

Better hope his rifle is sighted in properly or he could have a bigger problem on his hands if he accidentally shoots the trespasser especially if his property isn't properly posted........not really a smart thing to do.......

Weatherby Fan
10-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Better hope his rifle is sighted in properly or he could have a bigger problem on his hands if he accidentally shots the trespasser especially if his property isn't properly posted........not really a smart thing to do.......

More than likely just verbal tactics as he knows that word will spread quickly !

Piperdown
10-15-2013, 07:23 AM
god reason to have at least 1 piece of orange on

REMINGTON JIM
10-15-2013, 08:31 AM
god reason to have at least 1 piece of orange on

Orange is a TARGET DOT ! Something for some DUMAZZE to line up on ! :cry: RJ

sapper
10-15-2013, 10:41 AM

I know it's not required in BC but I always like it when I'm in a cut-block and I know I'm visible to any other hunters out there. Just yesterday I was sitting in a great big cut-block before sun-rise and could hear vehicles driving in. They would get to the cut-block I was in, take a few minutes and then (I know I'm assuming here) having seen me, drive on to somewhere else. I felt a little more confident too knowing that I was visible. I always like it when I'm hunting with a friend if they have some orange on too. No matter how clear we may think we are on where we'll be all it takes is for them to follow a game trail and get their sense of direction messed up and be right in front of you. The deer don't seem to care about the colour we wear either. In fact, I hear they're quite partial to the retro black and red Mackinaw jackets. ;-)

Rob Chipman
10-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Steven - you were obviously hunting one of those ranches I salivate over when I drive through and see all the deer. Driving through the Gang a couple weeks ago I watched at least a dozen deer trot from one field across the road, jump the fence and the fence and keep going. A spike, 2 pt and 3 pt were in the group, and that was only the big group! I saw several other spikers in the fields.

This weekend, driving from Pavillion to Lillooet we saw some dear in a guys field off the highway. We pulled over to watch what they did and where they'd go, and guess what? Right on the highway, in yellow letters: "No Hunting"! Had to laugh. It reminded me of the story a little back here where the guys said "Just drive down the High Bar Road and shoot deer in the rancher's fields". I can't imagine what you'd say to some guy who walks up to you asking "Why are you shooting deer on my private property?"

Anyway, too bad you never got one of those bucks, and I'm surprised they were so close to the other guys hunting, but I'll admit I've stumbled on a cow moose standing maybe 50 feet away while trying to sneak up on a cow/calf pair much further away. Shows to go that they can be close without you seeing them. Good on you for not plugging the guys.

Rack'em - "Since I have vision restored to one eye via a corneal transplant, I have started shooting and hunting again." That's absolutely awesome. Good for you!

hare_assassin
10-15-2013, 12:02 PM
The deer don't seem to care about the colour we wear either. In fact, I hear they're quite partial to the retro black and red Mackinaw jackets. ;-)

Yes, indeed, as my friend can show you...

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/hunting/buck_pix.jpg

sapper
10-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes, indeed, as my friend can show you...

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/hunting/buck_pix.jpg
His jacket matches his face. :wink:

hawk-i
10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
One thing to remember is Red in low light looks black to us....and from what I remember reading most grazing animals see colours starting below the red colour spectrum of light and into ultra violet....so red to them would mostly look black as well. I really doubt any sober, sane person would actually take a shot at red or orange clad hunters intentionally.

Rackem
10-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Yes sober sane people won't-- but drunk, insane people will.

Roughly one in five people will have a mental illness/instability. Probably quite a few of those may drink, or do drugs, or some normally sane people do really stupid things when drunk..

dingdongdenny
10-15-2013, 03:33 PM
a high percent of the male population is color blind to red.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_perception_test

Big Lew
10-15-2013, 04:04 PM
One thing to remember is Red in low light looks black to us....and from what I remember reading most grazing animals see colours starting below the red colour spectrum of light and into ultra violet....so red to them would mostly look black as well. I really doubt any sober, sane person would actually take a shot at red or orange clad hunters intentionally.

It is very unlikely that the person(s) landing bullets around us was drunk considering the extreme hike to get on that side of Little Savona Mt. I can't vouch for the sanity of the shooter(s) though. If you were at the receiving end of that barrage of bullets hammering into the dirt so close around you coming from the such a long range, maybe you would, like us, be convinced that someone was aiming at the red hats.