PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops wolf season article (anti wolf hunting)

Kirby
10-11-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20131010/KAMLOOPS0101/131009810/-1/KAMLOOPS/ministry-proposes-unlimited-wolf-kill

Open season could be declared on wolves in the Thompson region starting next year in order to control attacks on livestock and caribou.
A B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations document proposes that hunting rules be changed to allow unlimited wolf killing year round.
The proposal is in its infancy but is already triggering the polarization seen in other parts of the province where the same measures have been adopted.
"Wolves have been persecuted in this province for decades. Re-declaring the war on wolves is in no way a solution to the perceived issue," said Mel Rothenburger, who in his capacity as former president of the International Wildlife Preservation Association has long denounced such sweeping solutions.
Hunters in the Thompson region are currently allowed three wolf-kills from September to June.
"This proposal intends to provide more hunting opportunity for wolves in the Thompson region while assisting the (Conservation Officer Service) and landowners in addressing wolf conflicts on private property," states the ministry staff rationale for an open season.
The document states that the conservation service "currently invests significant resources (at times, all COs in the region) in addressing wolf/livestock issues."
During the 2011 season, 21 wolves were killed in the Thompson. In 2012, hunters killed 47 wolves, including one in a guided hunt, and 13 more were killed by COs.
Anecdotal observations determined that the wolf population is increasing and "can sustain a higher harvest," states the document.
The ministry states that anywhere between 330 and 500 wolves live in the Thompson region.
Rothenburger argues that reducing animals to what's "harvestable" only benefits the sport hunter and interfering in the natural balance of animal populations becomes an unending effort.
"This approach to conservation and wildlife management will go on forever."
The ministry is floating the idea to Kamloops Fish and Game Club members but local wildlife biologists proposing the changes refused to speak to media because it's still too early in the process, according to ministry public affairs officer Logan Wenham.
"It would be premature to discuss them in detail," stated Wenham in an email. "Should this proposal move forward, public consultation on the merits of the proposal would occur."
The Kamloops-based B.C. Cattlemen's Association said it was aware of the proposal and supported the changes.
"Since the CO Service took over the predation file, they've become a lot more aware of the numbers and the severity of the regions that are most harshly impacted by (wolves)," said Kevin Boon, association general manager.
It will allow landowners to kill problem wolves without fear they're breaking the law, said Boon. He added that ranchers aren't interested in wiping out the population since non-problem packs keep problem wolves away.
But when wolves get a taste of livestock there's no turning back.
"They come for the deer and stay for the beef," said Boon.
However, he said, expanded hunting "doesn't help us that much" because the animal is so elusive that few can hunt them down.
Other measures are more helpful, he said, like the current conservation officer service's practice of tracking and killing wolf packs after determining that they've been attacking livestock.
Rothenburger contends that culling wolves is no solution at all.
"There's no question that ranching is an important part of our economy," he said. "But killing off wolves is not the answer and neither is opening up the hunting of wolves the answer to reducing ungulates losses."
The public in B.C.'s Cariboo region also had strong opinions about the issue when the province announced the same measures in August 2011.
At the time, independent biologists strongly disagreed with the provincial wolf-kill program.
The province also stated that wolves are extremely difficult to hunt and trap and their population growth and dispersal rates are higher than those of other carnivores.
But Paul Paquet, who has extensively studied wolves on the B.C. coast, described the ministry's rationale as "woefully ignorant" and said wolves are easily trapped and hunted by those experienced at it.

haber
10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
The wolf problem is real. We bumped into the rancher who has his cattle all over the mountain in cache creek. He was losing loads of calves to wolves and hired some guys to come in and take them out. There was a pack of 6 in the area and they got 5 of them out. Over the last 12 years up there we had never seen sign and last year we found loads of tracks in fresh snow. Something needs to be done to manage them.

GoatGuy
10-11-2013, 12:28 PM
why is it always so hard to find the editor's email address on this stuff? Kirby, you have the letter to the editor email?

TexasWalker
10-11-2013, 12:36 PM
why is it always so hard to find the editor's email address on this stuff? Kirby, you have the letter to the editor email?
Editor: (250) 371-6152

hare_assassin
I don't know if it is normal or not, but I've been seeing some pretty big canine tracks this season, and plenty of poop - all in an area that seems to be used as an ambush... lots of carcasses (at least one moose and several deer, including young ones. All of this just a few km out of the Kamloops city limits.

TexasWalker
Contact the Kamloops Daily News Today!
We welcome your suggestions, comments and queries. Please use plain text only and avoid attachments.
Newsroom: kamloopsnews@telus.net
Advertising: sales@kamloopsnews.ca
Reader sales and service: circulation@kamloopsnews.ca
You can also reach us at the following phone numbers:
General inquiries: (250) 372-2331
Newsroom: (250) 371-6149
Editor: (250) 371-6152
Reader sales and service: (250) 372-2240
Classified Ads: (250) 372-1010
Advertising: (250) 372-2331
Or find us by fax:
Advertising: (250) 372-0823
Editorial (250) 374-3884
Mail Address:
393 Seymour St.,
Kamloops, B.C.
V2C 6P6

Contact Webmaster:
digital@glaciermedia.ca (digital@glaciermedia.ca?subject=Email%20from%20Ka mloops%20Daily%20News%20Website)

Ltbullken
10-11-2013, 01:32 PM
As usual, the media misrepresents the sitaution. If the story is referring to the provincial report on wolf management, it speaks to opening wolf hunting in areas where there is significant conflict with livestock or areas where 'at risk' species are involved and wolf predation is a factor i.e. mountain cariboo. No where in the report does it make mention to expanding wolf kill to benefity all ungulate populations. But of course the media won't say that and it may have more to do with Mel Rothenberger and the fact that he was the former editor of the Kamloops Daily News. Mel is a former politician and media editor so he is too arrogant and won't readily admit to any mistakes on his part or see the other side of the story.

TexasWalker
10-11-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20131011/KAMLOOPS0302/131019971/-1/kamloops/why-secrecy-on-wolf-debate

squamishhunter
10-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I've seen tons more wolves and wolf sign this season than ever before. I hope they give us at least a longer season on the island so I have more time to go exclusively wolf hunting. Is it possible to hunt them with hounds or can I just take the mutt as "attractant"

LBM
10-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I've seen tons more wolves and wolf sign this season than ever before. I hope they give us at least a longer season on the island so I have more time to go exclusively wolf hunting. Is it possible to hunt them with hounds or can I just take the mutt as "attractant"

How many wolves in a ton and how many have you killed out of this ton?

LYKTOHUNT
10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I've seen tons more wolves and wolf sign this season than ever before. I hope they give us at least a longer season on the island so I have more time to go exclusively wolf hunting. Is it possible to hunt them with hounds or can I just take the mutt as "attractant"In my limited experience with hounds and wolves is yes you can use them as an attractant, let the hounds loose on a track let them go and the wolves will quite likely come right in to the baying hounds and kill them,I dont think this the best way however to do it,pretty tough on your dogs

Walking Buffalo
10-11-2013, 02:27 PM
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/99wolvesfullside.jpg (http://s772.photobucket.com/user/keetspics/media/99wolvesfullside.jpg.html)

butcher
10-11-2013, 02:36 PM
The only real information I got from this article is that mel Rothenberger is a giant flapping douchebag....IMO of course

Fella
10-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Funny how they don't mention what their solution to cattle and ungulate losses are, just that having an open season on wolves is a bad idea. No facts, no science, nothing tangible presented except for "hunters bad, animal lovers good!"

ellellbee
10-11-2013, 07:13 PM
I don't know if it is normal or not, but I've been seeing some pretty big canine tracks this season, and plenty of poop - all in an area that seems to be used as an ambush... lots of carcasses (at least one moose and several deer, including young ones. All of this just a few km out of the Kamloops city limits.

You're welcome. They were our problem the last 3 years, now they're yours. I guess if it hits home to a larger center people finally wake up. No worries, once they've eaten everything there, they'll move on.

604redneck
10-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I've seen tons more wolves and wolf sign this season than ever before. I hope they give us at least a longer season on the island so I have more time to go exclusively wolf hunting. Is it possible to hunt them with hounds or can I just take the mutt as "attractant"take any dog off leash into an area with wolves u better hope he stays within sight and shooting distance or you will most likely go home with out him.....

olympia
10-11-2013, 10:51 PM
a wolf broke into my house and ate all my porridge, he then stole my red cabelas hoodie...let me know if you see him, please don't put 30 cal holes in my hoodie, thanks

Rock Doctor
10-12-2013, 09:53 PM
take any dog off leash into an area with wolves u better hope he stays within sight and shooting distance or you will most likely go home with out him.....

I don't leash or kennel my dogs in the bush, and they always seem to make it home with me. Hell, most of the time I don't even know where they are, and we have plenty of wolves up in the NE here.
I have ZERO love for wolves, but they are not hiding behind every bush waiting to ambush you:?

RD