Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer tangled with another

Deer tangled with another

This was an email I received and thought it would be good to pass on to the masses here.

On November 6, a relative, Donna Viereck, called to tell us that she was driving and had seen a buck in the distance with his head down. It wasn't moving, and although she honked the car horn repeatedly, he wouldn't raise his head.

She grabbed her binoculars and looked at him, and saw that the buck's horns were entangled with those of another one, which was dead. So she called us and asked if we wanted an adventure -- untangling the animals! Well, we went, pronto!!! I took my camera and we walked right up to them.

They were tangled in an old fence line just east of a golf course, where some railroad tracks had been. The live buck was on the high side, and the dead buck on the slope. The other buck had been dead for 2 or 3 days, we estimated.

Terry attempted to break a point off the dead buck's rack with his pliers, but couldn't.... He tried turning the dead buck's head but the other one just became more frightened and started backing up.

The live buck had the bigger rack - a 5 x 6. The dead buck was bigger bodied and looked to be an older deer. It had more "stickers" on its rack.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer tangled with another

The now scared buck eventually got out of the fence, and out in the open. Terry pulled an old post out of the fence line and used it to try and pry the racks loose, but it didn't work.

We finally decided to go to a friend's house in order to borrow his chainsaw, but then we thought something quieter would be better, and so got a hacksaw instead. Terry sawed the main beam on the dead buck and then other one was free!

The buck didn't realize this for probably 30 seconds or so. When he did, he started striking the dead buck in the face repeatedly.

He finally raised his head a little, and then a little more. He stood there with his head held high looking at both of us and we wondered if he were going to try charging us too! Then he turned and ran off rather wobbly. He went a short distance, lay down briefly, and then got up and took off in the direction of the river.

now thats a story with a happy ending ,good job guys

Nice, seen pics/stories like that before except most guys saw the antler off the LIVE buck and do a euro/mount the dead one with the 3rd side on a plaque or something.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Thumbs up Re: Deer tangled with another

Thanks! that is the best story I have read in a long time, WELL DONE, incredible event for sure, and good job by your relatives
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Not my relatives. I got this in an email from the father in law. Not sure where it is from. Just thought it would get some people through the winter doldrums.

Great job! Iv never met more people who appreciate wilderness and wild life since I started hunting and meeting other hunters, Great job and thanks for the pics

That took a lot of courage to do what this person did freeing this buck ,this buck could have done a number on the person that freed this WT deer.

I would have shaken this persons hand for what he did if I could ,very brave person..

Thanks for sharing these pic to us Doubled very interesting for sure.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-06-2009 at 06:50 AM.

e-mail that one off to peta