Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning smoked salmon tricks?

Canning smoked salmon tricks?

Anybody have any advice on canning freshly smoked salmon?
    Theres no place like home! Unless of course you are out hunting!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canning smoked salmon tricks?

if it is fully cooked, just put it in long enough to seal the jars
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I haven't actually smoked it yet, it is still in the brine. I heard at sometime that you need to smoke the fish a bit different if you plan on canning it. I don't know if this means that you take it out sooner, before it drys out to much, or what?

I kind of hoped to eat some now and then can the rest, so I suppose if the stuff to be canned needs to be less than fully cooked, I could remove it from the smoker before the rest.

Smoke the fish like you would normally smoke it and eat it. Don't undercook it as it won't be as good. Just put it in the canner long enough to seal the jars. It will be the best canned fish you will ever have. Don't overpack the jars either. Cut the finished product into the proper sized chunks to fit in the jars. I hope this helps.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

You can just freeze it, too. I vac pack and freeze smoked salmon al lthe time.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have put a piece of smoked salmon in with raw salmon and canned it. Gives the whole jar a nice taste. Can as you normally would.
    Thatskindafunny
    patience, preperation and perseverance

Excellent, thanks for the replys!

Clarke, I would try as you suggested but my Foodsaver vacumn pack thingy is still on the mainland I got to bring it over next time I'm there.

Dont smoke it fully..and dont use salt. I smoke mine for 2 hours only then can. The canning process will enhance the smoke flavour 5 fold.

I use my normal brine but only smoke for 1.5 hours...I have tried it without salt and find it tastes bland to me.Make sure you rinse it extremely well before smoking....as the previous poster said all spice and smoke are magnified by canning. Hope it tuns out well.

Add a half teaspoon of honey to each jar.. Candied Salmon.. YUMMY!