Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Quad Tires

New Quad Tires

So,

Bought my quad new in 2012 and it's time to change the stock tires. Only have about 1600km on it but they were quite worn. I had looked at ITP Mud Lights as they are very common but the more I talk to guys, the more I hear they are not a great do it all tire. I looked at Kenda Bear Claws as well as they seem to have a hell of a track record. I also looked at a couple other brands.

A couple weeks back I was at the local ATV dealer asking about tires and the sales staff recommended I check out Traxxion Grippers. He said they are a Maxis Bighorn knock off but are probably one of the best tires you can get for a "do it all" tire with good wear and excellent side wall puncture resistance.

So anyhow, did some research (found lots of good feedback including some older posts from HBC) and it looked like they fit the bill. Contacted REVCO, ordered my tires in the stock size came in at juts shy of $550 delivered. Tires arrived 7 buisness days after I placed the order and had OK tire install them today.

Think I'll have to get out for a ride this weekend and test em out before bear season kicks off.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Quad Tires

Mud Lights are great. Ive had mine since 2006. They are getting tired now but still good. Highly recommend.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

What’s the tred depth on those? I ran mud lite xl’s with great success and not one puncture, even when others around me had problems.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    What’s the tred depth on those? I ran mud lite xl’s with great success and not one puncture, even when others around me had problems.
    a hair over 7/8

Hmm great choice..I have those tires but studded version for winter plowing..3 full seasons no discernable wear.
    I have the ITP. BAJA CROSS on separate rims for spring through fall.they were put on in 2008 still 60% tread left,never a flat..I am not an aggressive driver..
    When...if the ITP. wear out..I will get another set of Traxion tires.
    Going to chat with tim..he is looking for tires for his updated Honda..
    Cheers
    Srupp

Hmm Ron..back shocks different angles ? Left tube versus right tube ?
    Tires look great
    Steven

Mud Lites are great in the mud,,I ran 27"ers on my 700 Grizzly since 2008 and the front ones were impossible to balance. The front end of the bike literally bounced at above 25kph. These things always rode rough and bumpy. Well, last spring I wrecked a rear one, and then discovered the cords were busted in the other rear. So off to the Polaris dealer in Williams Lake and picked up a set of tires similar looking to the ones the OP here bought. Cant remember the name of them right now, but the dealer said all the ranchers run them because they are super tough. They seem to be a great (all purpose) tire

I have the Traxion on my Honda 500 Foreman, 6000 km of hard riding on them in 2 years and they are just starting to show wear, they are an excellent do all tire, especially on hard pack or rock, mud and snow they power thru but not as good as a true mud tire. Had the ITP mud lights and they were good for up North, but here on the island they were useless for the riding our group does. We have a mix of Traxion, Bear claw and CST Ancla tires across 15 bikes, we all end up in the same spot every ride, some slower than others but they are all good tires, Traxion have less flats caused by shot rock vs the others being bias and seem to be wearing better and we ride hard on some nasty trails. You will like them. I would also recommend running them around 7-10 psi unless you are doing all road riding, then take them up to where they track how you feel comfortable as they are a hard tire being radials. We run all
    Of ours in our group between those numbers and are getting great wear but the Traxion are wearing slower than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    So,

Bought my quad new in 2012 and it's time to change the stock tires. Only have about 1600km on it but they were quite worn. I
    1600k? You driving on pavement, doing burn outs in the parking lot?
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm great choice..I have those tires but studded version for winter plowing..3 full seasons no discernable wear.
    I have the ITP. BAJA CROSS on separate rims for spring through fall.they were put on in 2008 still 60% tread left,never a flat..I am not an aggressive driver..
    When...if the ITP. wear out..I will get another set of Traxion tires.
    Going to chat with tim..he is looking for tires for his updated Honda..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Tim and I have a bear hunt tentatively planned for mid may in my west coast VI spot. Should be a good weekend to test out both machines.