Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

Well that was an entertaining read!

A few hog farmers and a case of beer would make for some good stories I bet!

"When they hunt hogs with dogs, the dogs don't kill the hog"

Exactly what I've heard.

"
    I'm fairly convinced that pound for pound, there probably isn't an animal that is stronger than a hog."

Interesting. I haven't had your experience but from what I've seen I think I'd agree.

Thanks for the info!

And wtf is a "field lion"?

Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I saw 2 a couple years ago hanging out with a group of wild turkeys. How "wild" the hogs were though, I am not sure. Definitely caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by firstshot View Post
    Well that was an entertaining read!

A few hog farmers and a case of beer would make for some good stories I bet!
    HAHAHAHAHA, those were only the ones I'll talk about on an open forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "When they hunt hogs with dogs, the dogs don't kill the hog"

Exactly what I've heard.

"
    I'm fairly convinced that pound for pound, there probably isn't an animal that is stronger than a hog."

Interesting. I haven't had your experience but from what I've seen I think I'd agree.

Thanks for the info!

And wtf is a "field lion"?

Field Lion... I first heard that term on a 'Murican forum. It's a feral house cat.
    I like cats, I have a couple spayed female cats in the house and a monster of a neutered siamese male out in my shop. I don't run a fleet of barn cats out in my barns, but my closest neighbor does in his. And every two or three years they start to spill over onto my place when the local fox population is low.
    I don't like having to deal with feral housecats, but I'll go on a Field Lion Safari with the heeler and a 22 mag when the populations warrant it.

I recently watched a 4 or 5 part series on the Serengeti...I saw a warthog stand up to a hungry lion and scare it off (I know it is a "dramatization" type story but still good footage)...in super slow mo the cat was just a tiny bit faster than the pig avoiding its tusk thrusts but just barely so it backed off pretty quick

"Field lion" - k, that is funny!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I was watching vids from the southern states where they trap hogs. When they get intact males they deball them and release them so they will be fit to eat in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I recently watched a 4 or 5 part series on the Serengeti...I saw a warthog stand up to a hungry lion and scare it off (I know it is a "dramatization" type story but still good footage)...in super slow mo the cat was just a tiny bit faster than the pig avoiding its tusk thrusts but just barely so it backed off pretty quick
    Were you watching the Lion King with the Grandkids?

Did you notice a talking Meercat?
    Last edited by Rieber; 03-18-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post

I'm fairly convinced that pound for pound, there probably isn't an animal that is stronger than a hog.
    How about a Wolverine? Pound for pound those things are invincible...

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    How about a Wolverine? Pound for pound those things are invincible...
    A wolverine is meaner and more ferocious, sure. But stronger? Unlikely. Different body shape, different muscle configuration and density. Pigs are just denser. Hogs are surprisingly heavy for their size. Even a "fat" pig is predominantly muscle with relatively light bone structure. A 300lb hog is physically going to be half the size of a 300lb bear.
    I'll definitely watch the show though if you can round up a wolverine and a young hog of equal weight and figure out a good harness system and set them up tail to tail, tractor pull style though.