Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: deer density in BC

Re: deer density in BC

What ever happened to all our license money going back to habitat and research etc??.
    This is what happen when only 10% (and even doubt that) went "back in".
    I have heard talk, but haven't heard s**t since!??

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Welcome to my world sir and the more you learn the more frustrating it is

No secret I don’t see eye to eye with FD and I don’t blame him or BCs bios for that matter when it comes to the numbers. The only issue I have with these people is the support of liberal harvest opportunities with insufficient data on our game populations and harvest

We run the most liberal harvest opportunities in Canada with a major lack of data compared to many provinces and states
    I like Pat, I think he cares, as so do many others, even If I don't agree with them either.
    This is a much deeper issue, and its time to stick the knife right into the guts of the issue now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I like Pat, I think he cares, as so do many others, even If I don't agree with them either.
    This is a much deeper issue, and its time to stick the knife right into the guts of the issue now.
    Even I respect his passion we just share different views but don’t tell him that lol

Hate to say it but we won’t accomplish a thing without a strong voice for hunters and everyone puts greed/ego aside

My suspicion is, if it isn't some of the "directives" from the Bios, (example, saying, now we will only try to sustain 12,000 head of
    elk in EK, from say 25,000), if that in fact isn't them, then its the people directly above them, between them and say the
    minister of environment (which is a peckerhead, but we have had them before and there will be after him).
    I suspect it those folks, the ones that stay in position, regardless of which party is in etc, that we can vote out, that have been in there for years, who are much to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMX View Post
    I know they are doing some tracking in the "elephant hill" area with collars too try and get some info the deer numbers in that area.

but i would have too say predators, poor management system, fires, winter kill.
    Fires greatly benifet wildlife in the years after the fire, contrary to popular belief..

I am having my doubts about this survey.
    Just looking at the elk in R4, they say 15,000 + , but its my understanding they thing it is less then 6500 now?
    Makes me wonder about the accuracy of any of it.?
    Don't mean to be so cynical, but as of late, I have my suspicions on a lot of things not being what they say they are.
    I thought the last estimate was 6500 ish elk just in the EK??

My suspicion is, if it isn't some of the "directives" from the Bios, (example, saying, now we will only try to sustain 12,000 head of
    elk in EK, from say 25,000), if that in fact isn't them, then its the people directly above them, between them and say the
    minister of environment (which is a peckerhead, but we have had them before and there will be after him).
    I suspect it those folks, the ones that stay in position, regardless of which party is in etc, that we can vote out, that have been in there for years, who are much to blame.
    I agree though, more money needs to go into wildlife and wildlife inventory, if the BC Liberals were going to get in, I thought they pledged all our hunting revenue goes back into wildlife...funny how the NDP and the so called "Green" party, which should care for wildlife, hasn't done this..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Fires greatly benifet wildlife in the years after the fire, contrary to popular belief..
    Nutrition wise yes in areas where wintering grounds were effected fire can also have a negative effect

The most recent study is from 2017
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...t_18_Final.pdf

Older studies from 2008 and 2011
    https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-s...s.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodeamus View Post
    hmmmm, it states we have 220 Cariboo still in the EK (granted, I am looking at 2017, lol)
    Anyways, I think they need to go back and recount.
    Think there are some other #'s that I read recently that don't jive with that document.