Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose hunting leh 7-23

Re: Moose hunting leh 7-23

It’s thick brush in there, much less moose nowadays than there were. If your draw is early it will probably be hot, and moose will be moving at night. Later in the season they will be in super thick swampy willow thickets. Lots of quad and road hunters, but not many animals on the road. If you are a “do things the hard way” kind of guy and looking for hardcore bushwhacking hunting, especially very early morning and late evening, you might get a moose. Not being miserable, I live in PG and have hunted region 6 and 7 hard the last few years. Not many moose.

7-23E

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I think I hunted 7-23 e in 2014. The road was overgrown going in there. We camped at the very end of the road right beside a bridge. We shot a small bull down in the bog on the low side of the road. The guys next to us shot a monster bull. There was also a group from the lml that did pretty well. They were floating up and down the river on a jet boat. It was a big group and I'm pretty sure they filled all of their tags and shot a grizzly as well. There was also a big grizzly wandering around our tcamps that wasn't shy at all. The night after we shot our bull, we could hear a pack of wolves start out on one side ofour camp and circle around us and down to the gut pile.

If they're not logging in there it will be pretty tough getting around. Definitely not a place I'd expect to road hunt. Get down in the bog near the end of September and try and call one out in the open
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 25.06girl View Post
    I too drew a bull tag in 7-23 zone A this coming fall. I am doing the same thing I always do when I plan to hunt a new area... A lot of looking at maps and google earth and reading all the information I can find on the area. I do a fair bit of research before applying for any tag to see if it’s a feasible adventure for me.
    7-23a been light on moose the last few years but they are there. Only advice besides normal moose hunting tips is they don’t really hang out in the pine flats out there until winter. Hunt the river or the hills. The big sandy cutblocks are appealing to the eye but there’s no real food in there for them. Hopefully the wolf cull helped out there, used to see just as many wolves and grizzly as I did moose in there.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

We had draws in 7-23A about 7 years ago. It is a very limited area and lots of pressure. Try to get to the very end of the main road where it is big washed out and camp there. There is a quad trail beyond the washout that takes you back in some great country with nice swamps . It is good for moose in there and being a quad only trail, limits the people going in.

Hey thanks junkyard! I will take any advice that is given. I really appreciate it! I promise if I get a shot at a wolf I will take it. Good luck to you this year!

You as well.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?