Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D course and the traditional shooter ?

3D course and the traditional shooter ?

Just wondering how the typical 3D set-ups, which is mostly shot by compound shooters, make it interesting for the trad shooters. My understanding is that the trads shoot from the cubs stakes. Could a course set-up ad another stake for the trads where distances would be from 5 to 30 yards or could that also be the cubs stakes. What do you do?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3D course and the traditional shooter ?

we have the trads shooting from the youth and womens stake . we have no trad shooters that help with setup so not a lot of thought go`s into it .
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Separate stakes for Tradies , official shoots 30 yds max . Local clubs keep shots interesting and sometimes extend the distances .
    Treat yourself to as many events as possible , you will learn more in a week-end than two years on your own .
    The TBBC Rendez-vous this year in Rock Creek on the long May long week-end is considered by many as a must go !!!!
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I usually shoot from the trad stakes with my recurves but for fun sometimes shoot from the compound stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrip View Post
    Just wondering how the typical 3D set-ups, which is mostly shot by compound shooters, make it interesting for the trad shooters. My understanding is that the trads shoot from the cubs stakes. Could a course set-up ad another stake for the trads where distances would be from 5 to 30 yards or could that also be the cubs stakes. What do you do?
    There are 4 stakes at every shoot ive ever been to. Mens compound, womens compound, traditional, and cubs. Always 4 stakes.

I have yet to attend a shoot in this country where I thought the pegs were unreasonable for traditional archers or that they were dismissed. Sometimes shots err on the easy side by clubs not having stick bow input but otherwise it's all usually good. 3D shooting is mostly about fun anyways so we can often mix it up and make your own shots especially if there's nothing to play for.

On the island we have three stakes, compound, traditional and cubs. Years ago we had women's stakes but they gave us hell and said they would shoot at the same stakes as the men. Distances depends on target size generally and run from the occasional shorty (5 yards +/-) to thirty or forty for moose size critters. Average deer shot would probably be 20 yards. Not all shots are "stand-up-straight". There could be kneeling shots, shooting under a low hanging obstacle, shooting behind yourself etc.

Our club in Courtenay has 3 stakes, blue for compound, red for trad and yellow for the younger ones. We shoot from the blue a lot on our practice rounds and from other safe areas to change it up a bit.

I'm not a competitive guy, so when I'm shooting my trad or self bows at a 3-D, I typically ignore the stakes altogether and shoot from where ever the hell I want! I ignore the scoring rings too because lots of them are meaningless as far as what would be an ideal placement for a "clean kill" in a hunting situation. Don't go getting your panties in a knot... I don't submit scores either! I do buy tickets on the draw prizes!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Anyone going to shoot mission Sunday?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......