Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wildlife groups host town hall to save wild sheep!

Re: Wildlife groups host town hall to save wild sheep!

I thought the turnout was pretty good, 50+ people turned up , even with the ball game on.
    Reps from Wild Sheep Foundation , Wild Sheep Society of BC , BCWF , Clinton Rod and Gun Club , GOABC were recognized
    Not sure but I think there was a couple of sheep owners in the crowd.

Presenters gave a run down on all the data available that points to the fact wild sheep die after contact with domestic sheep and goats and llamas and alpacas.
    Lots of research is going on but currently the best management practice is separation

Attendees were asked to help by reporting domestic sheep sightings in wild sheep range by calling the RAPP line and making a file.
    Literature was available for folks to take and hand out to their neighbours too.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I would appreciate a source where I can purchase printed copies of the research which indicates that goats, lamas and alpacas are implicated in wild sheep deaths. I do NOT doubt this, however, I want to have the data to debate some advocates of wilderness packing with these animals whom I know and am friends with.

A few months ago, "Bearvalley", GO Mike Gilson, told me here in a somewhat fractious debate over certain hunting issues, that lamas, etc. have no place in the backcountry. I listen to others, often more to those I may not always concur with and I would like to study the data concerning this, as conservation is my primary concern.

If, Mike is correct here as he very well may be, I would gladly support a ban on using "packgoats" etc. here in BC.....our wild sheep are FAR more important than the convenience of using pack animals, IMHO.

There are two PDFiles located on the Wild Sheep Society of BC's site
    https://wildsheepsociety.com/wilddomestic-separation/

Google 'wild sheep - domestic sheep disease transmission' for a long list of reports and documents
    The Wild Sheep Working Group on the WAFWA.org page has some reports

Sheep and goats carry the same pathogens
    Last edited by boxhitch; 02-11-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Northern Wild Sheep And Goat Council is a large scientific organization and have held several symposiums of which proceedings are available.
    http://www.nwsgc.org/proceedings.html

Thankyou, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for, saw some data 2-3 years ago, but, recent health issues have made me mislay and lose some stuff.

More for you

A recent analysis by the National Wildlife Federation, titled “Bighorns Risks: Identifying Risks Posed by Domestic Sheep,” is an attempt by a group of wildlife organizations to shine a spotlight on Montana’s iconic bighorn sheep herds and propose ways to protect and grow their populations.
    http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyle...ba2864d56.html