Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Back country tents

Re: Back country tents

In my experience, stay away from the Big Agnes UL1. High winds flattened it and the foot section is too low for size 13 feet when you are laying on top of a thermarest pad. Not what I needed for a sheep hunting tent and mine is gone.

The Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1 is a decent tent...light but tight for two guys but works. I've had mine for four seasons and only expect it to go one or two more due to the very thin fabric.

we used my partners hubba bubba last year and it was good for 2 big guys on 10 day sheep/goat hunt. i am looking for one man tent, looking at the KUIU, any one used it yet?

Ever considered a hammock instead? We love ours, have tents too but can't beat the hammock. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    we used my partners hubba bubba last year and it was good for 2 big guys on 10 day sheep/goat hunt. i am looking for one man tent, looking at the KUIU, any one used it yet?
    Their NEW 2 man was bomb proof, haven't tried a single version.
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

A tarp and some rope!Good enough!You'll see the Grizzly before they chow on your leg.The 870 right beside ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Ever considered a hammock instead? We love ours, have tents too but can't beat the hammock. Just a thought.
    How do they work above treeline?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    How do they work above treeline?
    Great! You just feel the ground a little more is all.....(grin)

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    In my experience, stay away from the Big Agnes UL1. High winds flattened it and the foot section is too low for size 13 feet when you are laying on top of a thermarest pad. Not what I needed for a sheep hunting tent and mine is gone.

The Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1 is a decent tent...light but tight for two guys but works. I've had mine for four seasons and only expect it to go one or two more due to the very thin fabric.
    Sounds like you are in conditions better suited for a 4 season tent...

Hilleberg Jannu, had an allak loved it but prefer the jannu. Super strong, super easy to pitch and amazing in the worst conditions. Only downside is the vestibule has a bit of a steep slope but unless your storing a ton of stuff it's fine. Ordered a hilleberg tarra also, it's a Jannu with a backdoor... 2 vestibules and straight walls stronger kerlon fabric and poles. Pm me if any questions I have owned a lot of hillebergs.
    Last edited by Carbonmatrix; 02-11-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Something to pay attention to with the Big Agnes tents is the entry. I've read quite a few reviews that complained about the entry with regards to the slope and rain coming into the tent when the fly was opened. Not sure which models, but it was more than 1. Entry design is something that you should consider on any mountain tent, as inclement weather is always a possibility.