Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: radios used on logging roads

Re: radios used on logging roads

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Right, you asked the question, "What do I need that is Legal?"

As it sits right now, what is legal is a commercial radio license ($40/yea) for EACH of your type approved hand held radios (example Kenwood TK-2312) If you have a Type approved mobile radio (example: Kenwood TK 7360) that needs a license too....
    A radio shop needs to program those radios and perform any changes.
    You do NOT need a letter of permission to have the resource road frequencies in your radio (but you do need a license), you also get the Western Canada 10 common channels (Appendix 6) with your radio license.

Remember, you asked what is Legal....

Do you come to a complete stop at every stop sign? Do you follow the posted speed limit EXACTLY? I don't, I also know what the consequence of not following that law exactly is...
    I'm not telling you to follow the letter of the law either, you asked what is legal and I told you what is legal.

Does a Baofeng work? Yes, Does an Icom 2300H work, Yes, Does shooting your deer with a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum work? Yes....

Will you ever be asked for your radio license? Maybe.... I don't think things have gotten to the point of being a problem yet. What concerns me are fools that do whatever they want, broadcasting on any frequency, and causing harmful interference are going to screw it up for the rest of us....

Educate yourself on wide and narrow band, educate yourself on areas of operation and what frequencies are common in what areas (LAD 1 is not to be used west of Hope)

This post is about understanding what the law is as it currently stands. You make the choice as to whether you want to follow that law or not....
    I agree as to learning what channels are common in different areas and what they are used for. Question, why is LAD 1 not to be used west of Hope? Here in Kamloops it's used heavily for everything and when I drove out of Fort St. John it was used mainly for emergency chatter but not exclusively for that reason.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by JAGRMEISTER View Post
    When you meet the first commercial truck on any forest service road, every other truck will know your location! yOU DONT NEED A RADIO, YOU JUST NEED TO DRIVE SANELY!
    Yea -Well tha'ts all WELL & FINE ! till you meet a Loaded Log truck on a steep hill on a corner and its a 1 lane road ! Then your PHUCKED ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    I agree as to learning what channels are common in different areas and what they are used for. Question, why is LAD 1 not to be used west of Hope? Here in Kamloops it's used heavily for everything and when I drove out of Fort St. John it was used mainly for emergency chatter but not exclusively for that reason.
    West of Hope and south of Nanaimo is close to the Canada US border and in many parts of the US 154.1 is used for EMS dispatch. I can only assume something on the coast close to the border in the US is using that frequency.
    Canada and the US do coordinate on frequency allocations around the border.
    If you look at the areas of use for the resource road frequencies you will find about half are not to be used within 60Km of the Canada US border.

edit:
    Reality of the situation: LAD 1 is used heavily pretty much up to Abbotsford then it peters out heading in to Vancouver.
    Abbotsford is as close to the US border as you can get...
    Once I heard the behind the scenes for a global news broadcast on LAD 1 so it could be something in Vancouver that is protected....
    Last edited by westcoaster; 08-02-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGRMEISTER View Post
    When you meet the first commercial truck on any forest service road, every other truck will know your location! yOU DONT NEED A RADIO, YOU JUST NEED TO DRIVE SANELY!
    Can I be in your will?