Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BC moose hunting history

Re: BC moose hunting history

I believe the first report of moose in the Chilcotin was 1905.
    Invasion of moose, west of the Divide was enabled by railway right of ways and logging for ties and lumber, creating suitable moose habitat and a corridor for access.

Moose for sale in Agassiz for $5.00 a pound. I guess it was extra they didn't need.
    Learned something the other day. Our tax dollars pay for the fn to get it skinned, butchered, cut and wrapped. Nice of us.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Moose for sale in Agassiz for $5.00 a pound. I guess it was extra they didn't need.
    Learned something the other day. Our tax dollars pay for the fn to get it skinned, butchered, cut and wrapped. Nice of us.
    Tigrr Are you being serious ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Srupp, find a copy of Eric Collier’s book, Three Against the Wilderness. It chronicles his life and that of his wife and son at Meldrum Creek. In it he relates a story of the first known moose shot in the area in 1918 by two Indians. As the story goes they had no idea what they had killed having never seen one before. They had no known name for what they had shot. .
    Exactly J
    ager. My Gramps cowboyed the Alexis Cr. Hanceville area during WWI and for a few years thereafter. He was involved in the first moose kill in memory in that area in either 1919 or 1920, It was shot by a white cowboy/trapper the Indians have no hereditary claim to moose in the Chilcotin plain and simple.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 09-22-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Good job Srupp, I have known this for years but no one believed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rolllingbreakdown View Post
    Hey new member here, this is my first post, but I'm gonna throw in my two cents for whatever it is worth. Puddle jumper is right in that legally the FN hunt is considered to be right whereas ours is considered a privilege. However in Canada the courts have also determined that no right is considered to be absolute and are often subject to what they decide to be reasonable limits. There may be ways to make the FN harvest more sustainable, but in order to do that and we need accurate numbers on moose being taken by FN communities. We have a pretty good idea of how many moose get taken by non indigenous hunters and we have assess to other data such as highway kills, calf mortality and depredation. But the value of this is greatly diminished when all the data we have on FN harvest is anecdotal at best. I think that the program that we need o get with is the reality that in 2019 we cannot afford to have an unregulated nor especially an unmonitered hunt.

As much as I would love to go my way or the highway when it comes to a great deal of FN issues there will never be the political will, even if there may be legal ground to stand on to pursue the to muscle through changes that we as non FN hunters would like to see. Especially given where electoral power is concentrated in the province and in the country. I think that as hunters we need to get more organized and engaged on these issues (I know there has been a significant amount of discussion lately on whether the BCWF is the best group to do so with, that's beside what I'm saying) but we'll have to go to the table on some issues with groups that we haven't always seen eye to eye with. If we make this our hill to die on I think surely we will die on it and our voices will be treated as less relevant then the already are to these debates. I think that most people on both sides want there to be enough moose that were not fighting over pieces of a shrinking pie, we have to figure out how to get there. If we ago to the able we may be able to get a more sizable number of FN communities to keep accurate records of moose harvest and that at least would be a start to figuring out what the problem and the numbers could be used to help manage populations by more then just guessing.

Its also worth adding hat even if a chief and band council are onside with limiting their own harvest of moose there is little that they can do under the indian act to enforce this on their own people and little that the co's can, believe they can or are permitted to do to charge and prosecute FN who hunt moose outside of their own territories or against wishes of their band. Essentially all a band can do is to ask nicely that their members don't poach. A law without enforcement is hardly a law. This also makes this a federal issue and even harder to resolve

Welcome RollingBreakdown, I am sorry to say but rationale and things that make sense around here are not the norm. Blatant racism and ignorance are very blind to anything that "makes sense" or comes to any kind of solution. I have tried to educate but people like srupp apparently know what "oral history" is all about in this province because he sits in circles where these matters are discussed, I guess. He also seems to think I have taken money out of his pocket somehow and I am robbing him blind too but that's another story. There is much progress going on it's just that some people are too blind to see what's really going on and they are relying on information that is about 50 years old. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Wow never heard of that great deal tiggr, can you provide more info so I can take advantage of this? I pay taxes too so I should also get it delivered.

racism...serious....how about equality..how about working for BC or Canada..not hands out drums beating...fed up with the BS ..
    you can provide the moose totem poles? or oral history of moose harvests..or archeology...nope bACK to racist acusations.

reconciliation...or compensation....get stuffed..
    Mr Rupp

Consensus is that moose followed the burns/logging/etc. south to their present range.
    There is a huntable moose population in Utah. Did these moose cross open range to get there ?
    My wife and I saw moose in the upper Salt Lake Basin east of Logan, Utah. Shiras moose.

If you can find the excellent book 'Deer of the World' . . . . their evolution, behavior, and ecology . . . Valerius Geist.
    We saw those moose close-up on a motorcycle trip. The cow lunged up onto the road, followed seconds later by her calf. We went between them.
    An older cow tends to drop twins for a few years. This is a very valuable animal if you are trying to rebuild a population.

Hmmm my point is resident hunters, guides etc are being screwed by native bullshit demands spineless politicians. ..all at the expense of the taxpayers.
    Moose are being saved for indians as some sacred substainer of life..mythical importance..and they were not even here till..1905 ..or so.
    When the facts can not be argued..then break out the chants of racism.
    Srupp