Thread: how does this old heater work??

how does this old heater work??

Well I've got this old heater and never really figured it out. It's a "therm'x safety heater model 30C" (red and cream coloured). My google search found some for sale and it looks like it uses white gas/camp fuel but I don't even know how you would light it??? I believe it's a catalytic tent heater, it is a little larger than a 1 gallon paint can, has a mushroom/dome sized top covered in what appears to be asbestos with a wire screen over top of it. This top screws onto the base where the fuel goes.

So....can anybody help me out?

Confirm:
    fuel
    how to light
    safety precautions
    good/bad
    other?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: how does this old heater work??

Fill the tank with white gas. Take the metal cap off, if it has one still. Turn up side down untill you have a wet spot about the size of a toonie on the asbestos. Light the wet spot. When the flame goes out it should slowly start to glow all over. Easier to see in the dark.

To put out, place cap over asbestos to smother the glow.

Stinky and somewhat dangerous in a closed space, but we used them for years.

Check google for Coleman Catalytic heaters.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Therm'x 30 C Safety Heater

Made by The original inventor of Catalytic Heating

Very well made and uses any of the following fuels! Thermasol, ESSO IOSOL 1520, Coleman fuel or white gas! No Carbon Monoxide, No fire or Flame, No Fumes, No moving parts, no vents needed and totally portable.

Consumes 2 1/2 US pints of fuel in 12 hours @ Approx. 3,000 B.T.U.'s per Hour

Holds 3 3/4 US pints of fuel

9 1/2 " high X 8" in diameter and weighs (empty) 3 Lbs. 3 oz.

Heater is made predominately of Aluminun with both the top and bottom being red Anodized Aluminum. The flame snuffer is likewise bright aluminum. The cream colored skirt and the bail handle are steel.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

" A long range shot should never be taken if the range is so great that a hold on the top the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity." Author Jack O'Conner

Quote Originally Posted by kgs View Post
    Therm'x 30 C Safety Heater........

........no vents needed............

.........Consumes 2 1/2 US pints of fuel in 12 hours @ Approx. 3,000 B.T.U.'s per Hour...........

Keep in mind, it does consume oxygen, like anything that burns.

Does Coleman really claim 'no vents needed' ???
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Keep in mind, it does consume oxygen, like anything that burns.

Does Coleman really claim 'no vents needed' ???
    No. As above oxygen is consumed. IIRC Coleman calls for minimum 6 square inches of ventilation in your tent or other confined space. No biggy, just crack a door or window. ..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this