Thread: Knouff Lake

Knouff Lake

Hey guys,

I just booked a cabin at Knouff Lake resort for the week after thanksgiving. Ive never been there before and only booked because the Rancher we use to rent a cabin from on the other side of Kamploops near Red Lake sold his farm and cancelled our hunting trip. I basically picked Knouff because it was what's available has what looks like some comfortable cabins for my wife and daughter to relax at while my son and I do some hunting. I'm chalking this up to a best I could under the circumstances and if the hunting is terrbile well at least I'll know where not to go in the future...lol !
    Anyways if anyone has hunted this area and would care to share some of their experience it would be greatly appreciated. I just hunt with my 13yr old son, and we will be bringing an ATV and a Suzuki Sidekick on a trailer. Feel free to pm if you prefer

Thanks
    Brent
    Last edited by Islander30; 09-15-2020 at 06:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Knouff Lake

I'm not sure that there's any terrible hunting around Kamloops. I haven't hunted that area in particular, only due to the convenience of other areas closer to my house, but you should do just fine. Ridges above farm land throughout, lots of new and old cut blocks, 400m to 1600m elevation spread, nice open old timber stands, and a chance at WT and mulies. Just get off the road hiking and enjoy. Worst case is a slow day and you fish for the afternoon.

We'll that's good to hear ! I was sort of thinking the same thing about there not being any terrbile hunting around Kamloops, I just like to prepare myself for the worst...lol ! I'll be happy to just check out some new area and hopefully see a few deer. I was wondering if there might be some whitetail in the area so I'm excited to hear that. Thanks very much !

You will be in some good country. Good luck. Seen some nice bucks in there.

More & more WT’s around that area as time goes by.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    I'm not sure that there's any terrible hunting around Kamloops.
    I'd say "terrible" is in the eye of the beholder. There are certainly times/areas around Kamloops that leave much to be desired in terms of crowds, game densities, buck to doe ratios, and abundance of mature bucks. Comparing it to even 10-12 yrs ago, it would be easy to call it terrible...

Regarding Knouff Lk area, yes, it has both species of deer like everywhere else around town. A lot of the higher elevation stuff has grown in significantly, leaving quite a few people hunting the lower stuff that's a bit newer. Like grantk says, fishing may be a nice backup if things don't go well (or even if they do).
    Last edited by Looking_4_Jerky; 09-15-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Haven't hunted there, but the fishing was great and the cabins were nice the times I visited 10-15 years ago. Should be a good comfy base camp to launch some explorations from.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys I’m feeling better about the trip and starting to get excited ! I’m not going fishing though, I’ve been fishing all summer...lol ! We loaded are freezer with lots of big springs this year out of French Creek, my freezer needs some game meat !!!

Fishing is good for midsize troooots. Hunting is pretty good too, lots of chickens and bunnies, loads of whitetails in the thick stuff and muleys around too. The wolves have been up on that plateau this year so keep an eye out if youre up top by community lake and area.