Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Logging Trucks a public danger

Re: Logging Trucks a public danger

The only issue I've had with a logging truck was one passing me on a blind corner, crossing the double solid going mach 10...was furious. Possibly one of the top five most dangerous things I've ever seen done on a road. There is stupid people in every profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    The only issue I've had with a logging truck was one passing me on a blind corner, crossing the double solid going mach 10...was furious. Possibly one of the top five most dangerous things I've ever seen done on a road. There is stupid people in every profession.
    Yup.....you got a radio?

I have spent over 40 years hunting and fishing using FSRs and any gravel,road that’s there.
    about 20 years ago I took a ham radio course and have had a well tuned radio in my truck.
    It’s very easy to get the list of RR frequencies and program them into your radio.
    I am also one that drives like a logging truck is around every corner.. The worst is towing a travel trailer into a Forest Service site
    to camp... Once back to a single pickup,avoiding becoming a speed bump is easy.
    Every heavy truck I have encountered has been appreciative of coming around a corner and seeing me well over stopped in a pullout.
    I am also able to transmit my location up or down if on a busy RR.. I enjoy being a member of a local ham radio club.

Where I hunted the radio was over rated... I had a good one with the correct frequencies and the vast majority of times it broadcast anything it was mostly static I had trouble understanding...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    Where I hunted the radio was over rated... I had a good one with the correct frequencies and the vast majority of times it broadcast anything it was mostly static I had trouble understanding...
    I used to hate trying to understand anybody with a 2 stroke Detroit in their truck. 90% of what you could hear was the engine.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have noticed on the island it seems like there’s some standardizing to km markers and signage. Everywhere I worked it was whatever road, followed by km and headed towards the dump (in) and headed away from the dump (out). Now it seems like it’s road followed by km and headed up or down. This seems a lot simpler than other setups.

I worked at another place that used bridges, creeks or visual markers like certain trees. I didn’t know how far I was away from any of these markers, so when asked where I was I used to say something stupid like “I’m by the stump with the salamander on it”.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Here ya go, info, educate thyself & stay safe...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...communications

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...s/channel-maps

http://www.bcforestsafe.org/node/2878

.... or do whatever you please.... bitch & complain.... don't worry, be happy.....

Get a radio and use it,if you get a pullout use it and wait your not the one trying to make a living

The only shitty thing about logging trucks, is these days, the emmision control they have make them almost silent. Used to hear the Jake a long ways off, now nothing. Get a radio. And I could be wrong, but a loaded down bound truck, I believe has the right of way.

For whatever it's worth: There are always A...holes on both sides of every fence. JUST got back home from a scouting trip and had some pretty nice run-ins with a logging crew and their trucks. They stopped me for a chat/advise, they moved their equipment for me so I could pass, and were generally a pleasant bunch. Just a thought: If you have issues with one specific area/logging/mining site, give the company a call and let them know? Certainly can't hurt....
    I've never expected to have a right of way on an active fsr. If there's activity going on, I usually get the hell outta that area before I get smoked. And if I did get smoked, I would blame myself, NOT the loaded truck. I have had great experience's with crews over the years. One year it was hot as hell in September and came across a guy coming out in his excavator. we were stopped at a spot we were going to maybe set up at, but it wasn't ideal. I flagged him down and chatted for a few minutes about how much logging was going on further up etc.... he seemed like a nice guy, and he just wanted to get home. I offered him an ice cold beer and he lit up like a kid at christmas. I was blown away when he said "you gonna set up your trailer here?" "Why dont you pull ahead a few feet and I'll level it out for you." we I'll be damned.......he leveled the spot for the trailer and then some in less than 5 minutes. made a sweet camp spot for us.
    Moral of the story......dot be an asshole, it will come back to you.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne