Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Renovation

Re: Cargo Renovation

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Diesel hey? I am at a bit of a crossroads too now, I built my camper and I have a wood stove and it is great. I do need another backup heat source, propane works for me and is handy but maybe a small diesel heater is worth checking into, right now I have neither for backup.
    Do the diesel heater's emit any odor?
    No odour. Essentially everything as far as burn is happening on the outside of the trailer. There is a fan on the unit that moves air through it and across the heat exchanger inside. So just moving around inside air. The 5kw is 17,000 btu. Lots of dry heat. The intake and exhaust are outside. When they start there is a bit of a light smell and a little puff out of the exhaust as the diesel ignites. Once it is up to temp it burns clean.

Thanks RambleOn!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillybilly View Post
    I am sitting at home self isolating from a trip to Mexico. Returned a week ago so half done. Here is a link to my photos of the job start to finish. Sorry they are not in exact order.

https://imgur.com/a/QMgGwmW
    This is dope, nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Diesel hey? I am at a bit of a crossroads too now, I built my camper and I have a wood stove and it is great. I do need another backup heat source, propane works for me and is handy but maybe a small diesel heater is worth checking into, right now I have neither for backup.
    Do the diesel heater's emit any odor?
    There is no odour. The exhaust vents outside. There is no connectivity between combustion air and heated air.
    I have a 5kW in my trailer and pumps out more than enough heat. It's a little bit bigger than a football and fitted under my sink. It came everything you need to do the install.

It looks something like this. https://tinyurl.com/swlvalf

Cool, I didn't realize they were so cheap, great idea!

Hey Ubertuber...Might I ask how much diesel does this heater use in a trip ...Dennis

160ml an hour on low and 400ml an hour on high.

Sorry, high is set to max at just over 17,000 btu.

I go through around 3 litres per 24 hours, give or take depending on temp. I leave mine on 24-7 when it's cold. It just idles all day and then speeds up when I open the doors. A 20 litre jug lasts a number of days.
    This guy is all knowing of these units.
    https://tinyurl.com/tdlf763

Edit:
    I see RambleOn posted some actual numbers. They looks like they are similar to what mine uses. It runs on high only for a short while then slows down to an idle for the long haul.
    Last edited by Ubertuber; 03-25-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    I go through around 3 litres per 24 hours, give or take depending on temp. I leave mine on 24-7 when it's cold. It just idles all day and then speeds up when I open the doors. A 20 litre jug lasts a number of days.
    This guy is all knowing of these units.
    https://tinyurl.com/tdlf763

Edit:
    I see RambleOn posted some actual numbers. They looks like they are similar to what mine uses. It runs on high only for a short while then slows down to an idle for the long haul.
    I did a bunch of research early on and built a custom tank to match my expectations. In reality it throws so much heat that it is on for a few hours to warm the trailer in the eve, bones of the trailer and all. Dialed back to low all night with a spike to burn off the soot and have a more than comfortable wake up and breakfast with all gear warm and dry...out the door we go. Maybe 3L to 3.5L a camp day. I am 8 and change x 22 with 7.5 overheight ceiling.