Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I used to have a 70gal with crayfish. Lots of places to hide and what not, but whenever one molted it would get pursued relentlessly until it was killed and eaten.

I'd feed them hotdog, earth worms and all sorts of things. The most excited I ever saw them was when I dropped a trout head in. A crayfish caught it before it even hit the bottom, then held it up parading it around the tank.
    Its what they're meant to eat. They're the clean up crew of their habitat. But they are also relentless cannibals. When they Molly, they should be separated til their new shell hardens.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

I know this is from last year but I'm down in the langley/ maple ridge area for work for another week or so and would love to try to find some. Any hints on where I can try for these lake bugs?

Crayfish in majority of the lakes/rivers/streams ex in the lower mainland its more so a water quality issue or numbers. Lakes/rivers with salmon runs usually have good numbers

Pit lake and river has them for example

Has anyone ever had any luck with Crayfish on the Coquitlam River? I have tried several spots with raw chicken as bait with no interest at all.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_G View Post
    Has anyone ever had any luck with Crayfish on the Coquitlam River? I have tried several spots with raw chicken as bait with no interest at all.

I grew up in PoCo and we used to catch them in the river. They are definately there, maybe not in high numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I grew up in PoCo and we used to catch them in the river. They are definitely there, maybe not in high numbers.
    Great to know, Thank you. I guess I must just be at the wrong location and/or wrong bait.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

What's everyone's top crayfish bait??
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_G View Post
    What's everyone's top crayfish bait??
    Hot dog wieners... cheapest you can find (may contain chicken and/or beef and/or pork)

We have used pretty much everything. Lots of different kinds of dog food, cat food, tuna, chicken liver, bacon ... never had anything come very close to cheap hot dog wieners.

Hot dog wieners... cheapest you can find (may contain chicken and/or beef and/or pork)

We have used pretty much everything. Lots of different kinds of dog food, cat food, tuna, chicken liver, bacon ... never had anything come very close to cheap hot dog wieners.
    +1 on the lips and azzholes .
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Never heard of people using Hot dog. Will have to give that one a go.
    Ali