Thread: 2-18 Rabbit Hunting

2-18 Rabbit Hunting

Hey guys,

New to hunting and looking to get some pre-season small game before hopefully bagging my first deer this fall!
    I have done some research into areas and came across the Kookipi FSR road from Harrison east -Boston Bar as a potential spot for opportunities as its been a road I've always wanted to explore as well.

What are my chances of seeing some snowshoe hares or squirrels? I realize not many people are open to share "their areas" but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I'm from Maple Ridge, so any drive is a far drive to get anywhere worth while.

Thanks to anyone willing to help me out.
    Last edited by Ducks&Trucks; 08-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2-18 Rabbit Hunting

You might come across a few bunnies, but few and far between. Go scouting for deer with a 22 or shotgun and you maybe get lucky. I don't think you'll come across any Schedule C squirrels though. The douglas squirrels are off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducks&Trucks View Post
    Hey guys,

New to hunting and looking to get some pre-season small game before hopefully bagging my first deer this fall!
    I have done some research into areas and came across the Kookipi FSR road from Harrison east -Boston Bar as a potential spot for opportunities as its been a road I've always wanted to explore as well.

What are my chances of seeing some snowshoe hares or squirrels? I realize not many people are open to share "their areas" but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I'm from Maple Ridge, so any drive is a far drive to get anywhere worth while.

Thanks to anyone willing to help me out.

Seen a LOT of little squirrels there around Harrison east. Not noticed many hare. Whole area gets lot's of rec usage such as ATVs and recreational 4x4.
    Lots of pred up there. My dumb dog wanted to meet a bobcat we saw hiding in the bushes stocking us.

You might see rabbits in the chilliwack river valley. Hare's are not open but several rabbits are schedule C

ust read above they are douglas squirrels, no interest in squirrel hunting so never bothered to look into their legality there

Quote Originally Posted by ducktoller View Post
    Hare's are not open but several rabbits are schedule C
    snowshoe hare 2-5 to 2-19 aug 1 - apr 30 10 (daily)

Chilliwack river valley is 2-4 and 2_2

Quote Originally Posted by ducktoller View Post
    Chilliwack river valley is 2-4 and 2_2
    ever noticed the title of the thread?
    2-18 Rabbit Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Legi0n View Post
    ever noticed the title of the thread?
    2-18 Rabbit Hunting
    Yes I talked about the poor prospects in Harrison east (2-1 and stated he may find rabbits nearby in the Chilliwack river area, though added that in that specific area, he could only get sched c rabbits

Thanks guys! I decided last night that regardless of my findings I would still make the most of the trip!

Hit gravel at around 11:30am today with my older brother on the harrison east FSR road and followed it all the way to Boston bar just as planned, stopping at a near by hot springs as well as a old firehouse lookout just off the nahatlatch FSR road about 15 minutes outside of the town of Northbend. I had an absolute blast, even spotting 4 deer along the way! (two females, two fawns) Lots of bear poop on the road on the higher elevations, and even spotted a couple dumb grouse looking to be roadkill haha, unfortunately a little too early in the season to be tonight's dinner sadly no other legal opportunities came along, but still overall a great experience.

I plan on visiting the chilliwack river area soon after I do some more research! Thanks ducktoller for the recommendation

I'll try and post my findings after every new scouting days, as I feel it benefits all of us! Thanks again guys

I've only seen sched c rabbits in chilliwack lake road in the areas with houses before the prison. I'd look at the other threads for a place to go.

The only person that can take native species of Squirrel is a licensed trapper on his or her trapline!!! Grey Squirrel and Fox Squirrel are alien introduced species and can be harvested year round where it is legal to shoot.