Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on white tails.

Opinions on white tails.

So it seems that Whitetails get a bad rap from some hunters, and I'm curious as to why? I've heard them referred to as "vermin" or "coarse deer". So what's your opinion on them?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opinions on white tails.

I love whitetails. A big whitetail buck is way more challenging to kill than a big mule deer. Plus the meat is much better.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

largely viewed as an "eastern" species and we hate most of them "back-easters" especially those easterners from alberta....oh wait, these things are delicious...nevermind

People are afraid of new things. Most distributed ungulate species in the world.
    Plus what 325 said.
    I'm hoping that whitetails and mulies can strike a deal and each stay in their own habitats without too much mixing.
    So we can continue to have 2 distinct species, which prefer different habitats and behave differently.
    I think on the great Darwin's timeline mule deer is a relative newcomer.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I love whitetails. A big whitetail buck is way more challenging to kill than a big mule deer. Plus the meat is much better.
    agreed.
    I really enjoy the challenge of WT hunting. I often wondered if the saying "high tail it out of here" was in reference to WT. I never fully appreciated that phrase until WT hunting.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

I love em, an incredible adaptable animal, I love hunting them, and they taste great...I hope they're numbers are kept under control as to not put too much strain on other ungulates, but at the same time, seeing them in moderately healthy numbers I think is a good thing..

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Though I agree about the meat, I disagree about a large whitetail being harder, just different. Whitetail are creatures of habit, and usually a much smaller home. If you know where a large whitetail lives, you can get him. It may take a few tries and a lot of adapting but if you really want him it can be done, even if it takes years. For most truly trophy Mule deer on the other hand, you get one encounter! If you miss you will probably never see him again. Both hunts are enjoyable, just different. Mule deer hunting is cover ground glassing, Cover ground and glass. Whitetails hunting is the opposite. If you cover a mile in a day you covered to much.

As to why they are hated, it is mostly because they are taking over Mule deer territory. Or I should say that they are able to adapt to changes that mule deer can't. Combined with their penchant for rapid breeding many areas have become over populated. Just because people don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. They adapt very quickly to hunting pressure to. BC is traditionally Mule Deer territory. That is what people are used to hunting, hiking and glassing. People are reluctant to change, but they are starting to.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Great deer to hunt personally WT and BT are a toss up on which is my fav deer to hunt

Guys in BC have been brain washed mule deer numbers are dropping do to WT. Reality is there is a lot of factors for the numbers dropping but WT are easy to blame rather than focuse on other big issues

i grew up with coastal black tail have had lots of mule deer and in the last 4 or 5 years white tail have been on the menu more often. In my opinion on a grade scale 1 to 3 in a pan or a slow cooker ratings would be as such 1 white tail way out in front, coastal bt number 2, muley number 3.( Im just saying)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Though I agree about the meat, I disagree about a large whitetail being harder, just different. Whitetail are creatures of habit, and usually a much smaller home. If you know where a large whitetail lives, you can get him. It may take a few tries and a lot of adapting but if you really want him it can be done, even if it takes years. For most truly trophy Mule deer on the other hand, you get one encounter! If you miss you will probably never see him again. Both hunts are enjoyable, just different. Mule deer hunting is cover ground glassing, Cover ground and glass. Whitetails hunting is the opposite. If you cover a mile in a day you covered to much.

As to why they are hated, it is mostly because they are taking over Mule deer territory. Or I should say that they are able to adapt to changes that mule deer can't. Combined with their penchant for rapid breeding many areas have become over populated. Just because people don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. They adapt very quickly to hunting pressure to. BC is traditionally Mule Deer territory. That is what people are used to hunting, hiking and glassing. People are reluctant to change, but they are starting to.
    Bang on ! Couldn't agree more .