Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sourdough

Re: Sourdough

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    My buddy swears by the electric knife, I am old school and use an old bread knife. The wife complains that I cut the bread crooked, so maybe I need to look into the electric knife.

SS
    It is a cliche, but I say it anyway. You should let the knife do the work and don’t force it. You can sharpen your bread knife like regular knives and the result may pleasantly surprise you.
    "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    I wait 5-6 days after a feeding, with it in the fridge, take it out and let it sit on the counter for 2-3 hours, then use. I like the "sour" flavour after it sits for those 5-6 days. I have also use it a day after a feeding, but the flavour is not as "sour" as the 5-6 days.

I have heard that taking a hot cast iron pan, add water and place it on the bottom rack when you are baking your bread for a great crust. Will try that tomorrow.

Some great links and examples to try! Thanks all!

Cheers

SS
    You can get this crust by baking your bread in a Dutch oven or other oven safe pots. Heat up the pot inside your oven at 425-450F, drop in the risen dough and slice your desired pattern on the top. Bake for 35 minutes with the lid on and 18-25 minutes after you take the lid off, depending on how thick you like your crust.
    "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

I picked up a couple bags of heirloom wheat today from a farm just outside edmonton. One sifted and another 100% whole wheat from gold forest grains. A touch expensive, but I’m pretty excited to see if it’s easier on my stomach than regular stuff.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Made Foccacia the other day. Along with square apple pie.

That looks good. I haven’t started my Christmas baking yet
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

What time would you like me to come over Edzzed ?
    Looks delicious !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    Made Foccacia the other day. Along with square apple pie.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

My sourdough starter began life in February. Took a while to properly mature but it's a dandy now. The new oven with proof option has really helped with consistency as there's no variation vs when relying on room temperature or other makeshift proofing scenarios. I haven't purchased bread since February, bake about once a week. My 2 go to recipes are for a loaf of sourdough bread baked in cast iron pan & baguettes. The baguette recipe is not a sourdough recipe & uses normal yeast, but after a couple batches I started substituting sourdough starter for the yeast. Now when I make the baguettes I simply follow the sourdough bread recipe & double it.

The bread recipe is started the day before baking as the dough slow proofs in the fridge overnight after the initial stretch/fold/warm proofing. The baguette takes 2 days since the dough is made in 2 batches. The first dough is added to the ingredients of the final batch which also spends the night in the fridge.

Also make pizza crust & Belgian waffles with the sourdough starter. The waffles are great out of the freezer & popped in the toaster.

Baguettes . Nice size for 1 person, about 250g of dough for each. They freeze nicely as well. Half for breakfast, half for lunch. The crispy crust is courtesy the steam bake option of my oven.

Crumb could be little more open but either way the flavour is hard to beat.
    Last edited by mike31154; 12-11-2023 at 01:36 PM.

What kind of oven are you using?

Splitting the overnight dough with some fresh stuff sounds like a good idea to blend the sour and sweet loaves into something more balanced. I’ve found every time I leave the dough overnight in the fridge, it’s too sour for my tastebuds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    What kind of oven are you using?

Splitting the overnight dough with some fresh stuff sounds like a good idea to blend the sour and sweet loaves into something more balanced. I’ve found every time I leave the dough overnight in the fridge, it’s too sour for my tastebuds.
    An Xmas gift to myself last year, Kitchenaid induction range & convection oven. Cost over $3K and replaced a tired old natural gas range/oven. Includes a special tray to hold water for steam baking although one could easily use any oven proof tray to hold water while baking. All touch controls, no knobs, lots of presets for steam baking, convection etc. And of course the proof setting.

Here are the recipes I use copied & pasted. As mentioned I now just double the sourdough single loaf recipe to make the baguettes. Links to YouTube where I discovered 2 of the recipes are included.

Baguettes
    Starter Dough
    450g bread flour
    7g salt
    290ml water
    5g fresh yeast or generous pinch dry
    Mix & knead 2-3 mins. Cover tightly & proof in fridge 12-24 hrs.

Final Dough
    500g bread flour
    10g salt
    300ml water
    10g fresh yeast or 5g dry
    Combine & add starter dough in small portions. Knead well, 8 minutes minimum. Stretch (window pane) test, shouldn't tear. Put in lightly oiled bowl, tightly covered into fridge to prove for 18-36 hrs.
    Divide into 6 x 250g portions (ball shaped), give or take a few g
    let rest 5-10 mins.
    pre shape into small ovals by folding over into themselves
    let rest 10 mins
    fold & roll into final shape, rest 10 mins.
    proof in couche ~20 mins. I use white linen pillow case dusted with flour & cover with white cotton dish towel
    Score dough & xfer to baking sheet
    Bake 240C-480F 20-25 mins. Steam, my oven has a steam tray but any low container that holds 1 1/2 cups water will work. Water should be very hot/boiling when pouring in.
    YouTube link to this recipe. Baguettes Masterclass with Patrick Ryan video
    https://youtu.be/n0U8RdRdFDU

Waffles
    2 ½ cups (600g) sourdough starter
    2 tablespoons sugar, maple syrup, honey, or sweetener of choice,
    6 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Combine ingredients & mix well. Batter consistency should be similar to honey running off spoon. If too stiff add buttermilk or milk.

Sourdough Bread
    450g Bread Flour
    300g Water
    10g Salt
    100g Sourdough Starter (active levain)(I add a few grams of yeast to ensure a good rise, shouldn't need to if starter is active enough)
    Combine ingredients well, cover & rest 30 mins.
    Stretch & fold in bowl, rest 30 mins. Repeat this 3x
    Cover & proof 4-5 hrs. My oven has proof feature but turning on the oven lights (2 in my oven) produces similar temperature ~80F
    Remove from bowl & preshape into ball on floured surface using stretch & fold method
    Clean surface & tension dough by cupping sides
    Cover & rest 30 mins.
    Shape dough into rectangle & fold like a letter, then roll into oval shape. Tuck in side flaps if desired
    Place in proofing basket lined with flour or rice flour. I use a flour dusted white cotton dish towel
    Proof overnight in fridge. When I take it out I check for rise, if insufficient I let it prove a bit longer at warmer temperature
    Preheat oven to 500F with Dutch Oven inside
    Score dough & xfer to hot Ducth Oven (cast iron oval in my case)
    Bake 20 mins. with lid on & 15 mins. more with lid off. Check after about 10 mins. to make sure it's not getting too dark
    Grant Bakes video
    https://youtu.be/-Kstk0C3m8M

Sourdough starter at left. On baking day I take it out of the fridge, feed it & put it in the oven on proof. Within a couple hours it's very active, double in size or more.
    Last edited by mike31154; 12-12-2023 at 12:48 AM.