Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkeys 2018

Re: Turkeys 2018

Pretty slow for my daughter and I. Had a response right off the bat and then he went quiet. Will be back at it next weekend though.
    KCCO

For everyone reading this thread and wondering where to go and asking for help - the Pend d'Orielle river valley is an incredible turkey area. It is small with lots of access and great turkey habitat.. The weather has been crappy but is supposed to clear and warm up. Hunting will be excellent. There are lots of turkeys on private land there. Do some legwork and ask for permission. Most will say "No" but some will say "Yes"...it's up to you to find out who. There are a ton of turkeys on open land. Both ends of the valley hold the most birds, but lots in between as well. Some camp in the valley but there are many reasonably priced motels/hotels in the Trail, Fruitvale, Salmo areas. Choose one close to where you want to hunt. Read all the other threads for helpful hints. This is a totally under-utilized species and the population is expanding all the time. Good luck.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Jeez Brez, thanks for blowing up one of my spots! .

I was born in Warfield and lived in Rossland for a while, and have always looked at that area as a potential turkey spot. I’m heading to the Rock Creek area this time, as it’s a considerably shorter drive from where I live now. The bird population is starting to really grow from what I’ve seen. Maybe soon we’ll be allowed 2 in the fall season?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Jeez Brez, thanks for blowing up one of my spots! .

I was born in Warfield and lived in Rossland for a while, and have always looked at that area as a potential turkey spot. I’m heading to the Rock Creek area this time, as it’s a considerably shorter drive from where I live now. The bird population is starting to really grow from what I’ve seen. Maybe soon we’ll be allowed 2 in the fall season?
    OOOPS, sorry Red. Yeah, I asked for a 5 bird yearly limit with 3 toms in spring and 2 either sex in fall. We have a ton here and I think they compete with grouse and deer browse.

Oh, and another bit of info for you new guys...you don't need fancy decoys or calls. Get one call to locate the birds while they roost (at dusk in evening and before light at dawn) and then you can sneak up or run and gun (which is a lot of fun, but can be exhausting). You can also ambush them as they travel to and from roosting sites. I've gotten way more birds these ways than calling or decoying.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Yeah, I just bring a box call, and I’ll throw my 3 token decoys in the truck, but almost always see them or hear them. I bring my .22 as well just in case they don’t want to let me too close. I’ve had them answer my feeble attempt at a gobble impersonation too. They are a weird mix of smart and stupid!

Had another great hunt with my son. Saw a ton of birds, they were not gobbling much though I think partly due to the monsoon rains...after a 4 hour cat and mouse game at 60 metres with a small group, they finally presented us a chance to move in undetected to 25 metres and our hunt was done.
    I would agree with Brez more often ambushing or run and gun gets the job done. But there is nothing more fun than watching birds either launch from their roost or strut in to your decoy setup!
    Good luck out there everyone!
    Twist and pull.

Thanks for reply and the advice! Sure, I'll be doing research on my own too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Noob: I’d offer to let you join, but I’ve already got a virgin turkey hunter coming along, and a possibility of a second one. If you have wheels, just load up your camo, grab a cheap call, and decoys and watch a couple of videos on technique. Drive east until you get into the bird zone and try your luck. I went solo my first few times, and had a great time.
    Sure, good luck to you and the new hunter, too! I've got my slate call and learned a few noises, i'd like to think they are yelps, clucks and cuts... I am tempted to drive straight up to Rock Creek and see what's up. I am not sure if it's wort two nights trip, I figure I'd need a bit more time to survey the area and find a legal land to get my bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    After a 4 hour cat and mouse game at 60 metres with a small group, they finally presented us a chance to move in undetected to 25 metres and our hunt was done.
    Where are the pics?????

What area were you in Krico? Congrats on getting it done!

I chased a big group of strutters this morning. Back and forth on hands and knees (frickin' wet out there too!) within 30 yds of 8 to 10 strutting and fanning but the brush was too thick for a clear shot. Finally, one comes my way and sticks his head up over the hump of dirt and Bang! It dissapeared. Got up and all these big toms stood looking at me. Held off and went to look and there was this little jake, dead in a hollow. Crap! I'd left my bow after having the string catch my jacket sleeve because I'd forgotten my arm guard last night. That was a nice tom too. Sorry, no pics