Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

s rupp quote:All in all 3 grizzly hunters this year were charged by grizzlies in region 5..15 alone

Cariboo hi-lands 50 miles west of Quesnel was my last encounter @ 25 ft. with a Large male silver shouldered griz just before dusk....Tightened the rear end right up
    Had zero to do with food in camp tho..

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

as others have said, you cant do much better than a good dog...

A dog will let you know long before anything else that there is a bear in vicinity - even when you are fast asleep....
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    as others have said, you cant do much better than a good dog...

A dog will let you know long before anything else that there is a bear in vicinity - even when you are fast asleep....

I second that...

Dogs are awesome!!!

Betty sometimes sent a wolf cross hybrid along to be tied up at the tent frame..Kumo was my favotite early warning grizzly system..

Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    I leave my food in the tent with no fence.. Never have problems. I usually store all my garbage under a rock until we leave. No rifles either. Best thing you can do is earplugs. If you can't hear it, it won't be on your mind, and the chances of it actually happening are fairly slim.
    LMFFAO ! too FUNNY ! RJ

This is very helpful thread with a few key ideas that I can take into 3-32 this fall. I hear their are quite a few grizz in that area but I'll be toting along some teenagers, fishing line, pop cans, rocks, ear plugs, bear spray, white shirts, pointy objects, and archery tackle. Stay clean, keep the cooking and food separate from sleeping area - be cautious, but happy and enjoy the experience, whatever happens.

Ear plugs and a light sleeping pill. Always have a good nights sleep. Years ago I would lay awake all night listening for any sound. After a few nights of that the trip is hell as I'm too tired to do anything right. Have higher odds of slipping off a steep slope when exhausted than getting attacked by a bear.
    I also sleep with a knife and rifle ready just in case. No food or scented toiletries in the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    Ear plugs and a light sleeping pill. Always have a good nights sleep. Years ago I would lay awake all night listening for any sound. After a few nights of that the trip is hell as I'm too tired to do anything right. Have higher odds of slipping off a steep slope when exhausted than getting attacked by a bear.
    I also sleep with a knife and rifle ready just in case. No food or scented toiletries in the tent.

Nothin like a little Fentanyl, incase a Grizz wants to give you a root canal...

Seriously, any newbies reading this thread? You want to tent/hunt out in gods country? Please go with someone experienced, there is so much to know and learn...

And once you do, you will find yourself in the greatest Cathedral on earth...

Or not...

Pots and pans on the coolers, rifle and a dog. What's grizz country, isn't that called BC? You guys from the lower mainland sound like tourists, electric fences!? Eating miles from camp?! They 100% command respect but really guys whats next, dig a crocodile filled moat? I've had 10x more trouble in my life with black bears than grizzlys. Not many of you would make good hikers or alpine hunters, too scared it sounds like.
    Last edited by J_06; 07-26-2016 at 07:41 AM.

"Good hikers or alpine hunters"........well, may I ask how many of those "Pots and pans" and "coolers", you carry as a "hiker" and "alpine hunter"??????