Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Recreational Halibut Fishery

Re: Experimental Recreational Halibut Fishery

If I understand TPK's original part of this thread, it means that I as an individual sportfisher can buy quota and go out and catch more halibut than my ordinary license would allow me. Is that correct? And, if so, how does one go about buying this quota?

Or, as I thought before, is this quota only available for purchase by people with deep pockets such as sportfishing lodges with Rich clients?

[QUOTE=Blair;1484155]If I understand TPK's original part of this thread, it means that I as an individual sportfisher can buy quota and go out and catch more halibut than my ordinary license would allow me. Is that correct? And, if so, how does one go about buying this quota? QUOTE]

That is correct, the actual "how to buy it" I do not know, I assume you head to the dock and locate an individual willing to sell some quota ... BUT I would urge with the strongest possible emphasis that NO ONE do this. Do not get suckered into paying for what should be yours already. If enough folks boycott the idea and it does not gain traction, that would be the best scenario.

guest Guest

Experimental my back side ........ This is government selling your , mine and our assets ....... It's just the start ..... How many or how much halibut can a person or family use ....... It's just the start of higher costs and a monopoly . Any ying yang low enough to buy it needs to have their head read. The main problem is not only the pathetic limit but the SLOT size you and I can only kill in. Sport fishers put more into the Entire economy then what the government is giving us credit for. Pattison and others continue to get richer off the publics back.

Dont net be an idiot and buy any.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    If I understand TPK's original part of this thread, it means that I as an individual sportfisher can buy quota and go out and catch more halibut than my ordinary license would allow me. Is that correct? And, if so, how does one go about buying this quota?

Or, as I thought before, is this quota only available for purchase by people with deep pockets such as sportfishing lodges with Rich clients?
    Trading at $70 buck a pound right now . $700 bucks and you could catch a 10 lber for life unless of course the lodges lobby for more recreational catch , then your IVQ might shrink . Yee Haw , such a deal . Just can't see this one flying but then again nobody thought they would put size restrictions on halibut a couple of years ago . The commercial sector and lodges must be enjoying this divide and conquer statergy the DFO employs . Watch the price of quota jump up now . Commercial sector ,lodges and charter boats should be the ones buying quota from within the 85 % allocation and leave the 15 % for the true recreational sector . If they want to make a buck at catching halibut let the marketplace sort it out and may the best business plan win .

we need to be clear about this, you cannot buy quota and put it on a boat unless your boat has an empty "L' LICENSE. first. you can only rent the quota for one year at a time.....fowl

That makes a bit more sense , only 439 L tabs out there .

This means if you have money--you get all the
    Hallis you want!.....in the end, joe/jane fisher will
    Get the shaft! anyone know what the market
    Value for halli is to buy in right now?...looked into
    This 3 years ago- think the lady(info) said it
    Was 6$ a lb at the time!...i could have bought 100 pound
    "quota" for $600.....i could resell it too i
    Believe?.....who are the winners?--guides/lodges...who
    Are the losers in the coming years?...resident fishers
    With modest incomes!....

Hunting quota is around the.corner--get ready!!
    45-70 Marlin GG--shooting 420/550 grain hardcast!
    30-06 Rem 700 --shooting 180/240 grainers!

$70 a pound?......wow!!
    45-70 Marlin GG--shooting 420/550 grain hardcast!
    30-06 Rem 700 --shooting 180/240 grainers!

If there is not enough halibut for 2/day limit for sports fishermen, why the hell is there a commercial fishery for them at this time?
    Next it will be Chinook salmon you will have to buy a tag off commerical fisherman. and then if you want to hunt big game you will have to buy a permit from Guide Outfitters Association of B.C.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

If there is not enough halibut for 2/day limit for sports fishermen, why the hell is there a commercial fishery for them at this time?
    The International Halibut Commission sets Canada's yearly quota at "X" number of pounds based on available bio mass. Of that "X" poundage the commercial fishery is allocated 80% of the quota and the rec fishery gets 20% of the "X" poundage.

Anything caught by a "recreational" fisher, whether they are a Canadian resident, out of country tourist, catch their own with their own gear, utilize a foreign or domestic owned lodge and guides or are guided by a lone local guide, it all comes off the Canadian (Pacific) rec fishery quota.

RC