Thread: Mountain goat help

Mountain goat help

Hey everyone.

I've been thinking of putting in for a goat draw for quite some time and I think I'm going to do it this year. I've never hunted goat before but I love the challenge of it. I've been looking at putting in somewhere in 3-16 and have a bit of a scouting trip planned in a couple weeks to get an idea of some of the area.

My question is: does anyone have any experience in the area or would anyone be willing to give me a starting point to start looking? Should I even bother putting in that area? Like I said, I don't have any experience hunting goat so any other advice you might have would be really appreciated!

Thanks a lot

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain goat help

I see in an old book I got that says, take the road from Lillooet along Cayoosh Creek runs through MU 3-16 comes out on Lillooet Lake near Mt Currie fair mule deer and Goat on LEH from logging roads.
    Little bit of information to expand from. ( From Lillooet along the Cayoosh Creek for a Goat.)
    A little start to your exploration and plans.
    It's now up to you to follow up by asking questions, pre-scouting and studying maps.
    Jel 4 jel. Check LEH Regs for Exact boundaries --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-21-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: The Cayoosh Cowboy

Appreciate the help so far. I've received a few Private Messages that have been helpful.

If there is anyone who lives around the lower mainland, has experience hunting goats and would like to mentor a new goat hunter I'd love to buy you a drink and ask some questions.

If u are ever in Kelowna or wanna give me a call I can probably answer most of your questions.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

http://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Color-Win...olor+of+winter

Where every goat hunters research should start. Invaluable collection of Information on these amazing animals.

The Rocky Mountain Goat is from the antelope family. What does that tell us?
    Believe it or Not?
    Jelly Goat -- Antelope folks, it's hard to believe but is it true?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-22-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Antelope high in the mountains or complete bs?

Jelvis - It is TRUE!!! Mountain Goats are not actually related to Goats... They are a form of Antelope. Their closest relative species is the Pronghorn Antelope. Beautiful beasts indeed!

Jeliason - While I do not have any direct experience in the specific area you've mentioned, Region 3 would not be my first choice to put in for a Mountain Goat LEH. If you are interested in that area for whatever reason, the best bet is to put boots on the ground! I tend to pick a spot and simply go have a peek. Learn all you can about the Mountain Goat. Through your studies, you will gain your own ability to ascertain all you need to know when it comes to picking out a potential area.

I definitely recommend finding an experienced Mountain Goat Hunter to study with, if it is at all possible (Hopefully someone whom fits the bill in your area will take up your offer). Each species we are blessed with here in British Columbia is unique and represents a fine challenge in its own way. They each have their own habitat preferance and approaches to life. Mountain Goats are no exception.

All the best to you in your endeavours!
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 04-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeliason View Post
    Appreciate the help so far. I've received a few Private Messages that have been helpful.

If there is anyone who lives around the lower mainland, has experience hunting goats and would like to mentor a new goat hunter I'd love to buy you a drink and ask some questions.
    You and Bigbore are neighbours and he's a goat killing machine . . . he's the guy down the street sporting short shorts or a kilt!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

If you feel like a drive, head to Hwy 37 north of Dease Lake. You will be able to spot goats from the road with a spotting scope/binocs. GOS Aug 1st.