Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runts

Runts

I had a runt in my last litter of Springers... I contemplated putting him down several times, but just couldn't do it so I nursed him along... Tube fed him, had him to my vet a couple of times, etc. My vet didn't think the pup had much hope. At 4 weeks of age I brought him to my vet and he weighed 15.2 ounces.. Here's a photo of him at 4 weeks of age...

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stonebroke/media/Dog%20Photos/Echo-Charlie-LittleBlackMaleDecember122013001_zps50ba6057.jpg.h tml]

I continued to supplement his feeding and finally had to remove him from his littermates as they were getting rough with him... A fellow I'd placed a pup with a couple of years ago was adamant that he wanted this pup... I told him I'd give him the pup free of charge if he promised to continue to give him whatever care he needed... He named him "Hank". Here's Hank at about 7 weeks of age with one of his littermates...

I held "Hank" back a couple of extra weeks and before he went to his new home... Hank appears to be doing well. Here's a couple of photos of Hank at about 12 weeks of age... Looks like he's finally growing. I'm waiting for some new photos of him. He'll be 5 months old this week. All reports so far is that he's developing normally.... It will be interesting to see what he's like when mature....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Runts

The photo of "Hank" at about 4 weeks didn't post, so here he is.....at 15. 2 ounces...

Good on ya. I've always had a soft spot for the runts we've ever had too.

Something about runts...................ya gotta luv 'em!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Looks like his feet have some room for him to grow into.

Hang in there hank.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Good for you Tim, nothing wrong with a runt The last litter I bred in Prince George had a real runt 4.5 oz I bottle fed her, put her on tit every chance I got and she finally thrived when I decided to get back into breeding she was 7 and I took her to Bud just before he won the 2004 CNFT. she produced me 7 beautiful pups one was kept and kicked of the "Foxton reserection". Lost her to Cancer at 13.
    Here are a couple of pix of her Son and Grandson

Foxton's Tankard O' Bud
    CNFC Rolling Oaks Sumday Bud x Foxton's Drop O' Brandy

Foxton's Case O' Bud
    Foxton's Tankard O' Bud x Foxton's Sambuca Shooter(FC/CFC Robinsmoor Frolic x FCHighlanders Lady Guinevere)

This Bitch was also the runt that nobody(including me) reall wanted

Foxton's Cuervo Gold

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Jim,

I see by the naming of your dogs that waterfowling is not your only passion. Hic....
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Those are some fine looking dogs, Jim.....

Just sorta happened that way Phil, my very first Springer was out of a Bitch named Bodil's Bella Coola Brandy so I named her Foxton's Splash 'O Brandy and it just kinda took off from there................However lol

Thanks Tim, that means a lot coming from you.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Nothing wrong with runts. Been called one lots over the years. Never stopped me playing hard with the big boys and putting them in their place if I had too. I took home plenty of MVP trophies in my day to prove it. Lol

I would have took that dog in a heartbeat, raised him right and put him up against any other. Glad you didn't put him down as he will make a fine pup. Cheers

weve all heard it.

"Not the size of the dog in the fight but size of the fight in the dog" or something like that
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 04-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.