Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LEH Draw results

Re: LEH Draw results

Quote Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post
    Alberta is an okay system IF you grew up there and started applying for tags as soon as possible. If you're an Adult onset hunter it's horrible for certain species. If you're like me and moved here at 35, good luck with getting any Sheep draws in your lifetime.

I cannot wait to be back in BC and have the same chances as everyone else to draw a tag for certain areas. But realistically the amount of OTC tag options in BC for world class trophy animals is unsurpassed anywhere. If you're bitching about lack of opportunities in BC you haven't lived anywhere else, or are too lazy to travel throughout the province.

Last thought, take advantage while you can. It is highly unlikely to get better moving forward in our emotionally charged cancel culture world.
    Are you putting in for sheep as a non resident? If yes you are correct. I think they only give out 2 tags but as a resident there is Wmu's that dont require a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Are you putting in for sheep as a non resident? If yes you are correct. I think they only give out 2 tags but as a resident there is Wmu's that dont require a draw.
    Yes there are OTC sheep tags in AB. I was talking specifically to the Sheep Draws. Just like in BC there are OTC options and draw options.

This is my 4th year for putting in for the LEH draw and last year I was lucky to get our group moose hunt with two tags allocated and a whitetail doe draw. Luckily, we harvested a huge moose but I wasn’t able to go for my whitetail draw for personal reasons. My friend though has horse shoes:
    2020 - moose group and EK goat
    2019 - Bison shared
    2018- pemberton mule doe
    2017 - island Rosie elk
    on and on

he gets at least one draw every year! Lucky dog

Quote Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post
    Yes there are OTC sheep tags in AB. I was talking specifically to the Sheep Draws. Just like in BC there are OTC options and draw options.
    I'm unsure what the problem is then? You only want to hunt sheep in a specific wmu rather then one that has OTC tags? Not trying to come across as a peckerhead but maybe you should read your post a page back. I don't know how to quote specific sentences but it is the 2nd paragraph last 2 sentences. Seems contradictory to me.

Yes there is some long waits for some tags. After 10 years I finally drew a speed goat tag. Wait 10 years for a 5 day hunt to get it done in a day. I'm thankful I got the opportunity whereas in a lottery system it might've never happened.

Yes there is some long waits for some tags. After 10 years I finally drew a speed goat tag. Wait 10 years for a 5 day hunt to get it done in a day. I'm thankful I got the opportunity whereas in a lottery system it might've never happened.
    That was my point. On a priority system you may only get a prized draw a few times over the course of a lifetime of hunting, but you will get a draw. In a lottery system you may never get one while the next guy gets a few.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    That was my point. On a priority system you may only get a prized draw a few times over the course of a lifetime of hunting, but you will get a draw. In a lottery system you may never get one while the next guy gets a few.
    Yep I liken it to waiting in line at Walmart. You know you're gonna get there just a matter of time as to when. The only change our system required is proof of residency should be stricter. I think this might reduce draw wait times. Probably not substantial but who knows.

Yep I liken it to waiting in line at Walmart. You know you're gonna get there just a matter of time as to when. The only change our system required is proof of residency should be stricter. I think this might reduce draw wait times. Probably not substantial but who knows.
    I would think stricter proof of residency would considerably cut down on the amount of people hunting in my region. Proof of completing some form of hunter training course instead of just ticking a box saying you held a licence in another province would cut down on a lot of people too.

I would think stricter proof of residency would considerably cut down on the amount of people hunting in my region. Proof of completing some form of hunter training course instead of just ticking a box saying you held a licence in another province would cut down on a lot of people too.
    I know what you mean b'y.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    33 years putting in for elk in bc and zero draws... bc sucks .
    YOu think it would be different with points? On vancouver island the lowest odds for a bull draw that I can see are 31 to 1. That means if you started now, you would have to put in for 31 years to get the draw with a points system. Most likely if this were in alberta it would be a true draw anyway. I do hope you put in again this year. It's your turn!

I apparently touched a soft spot. Lol. I didn’t mean to offend you.

BC does have some fantastic hunting for sure. I never said it didn’t and while I’ve made the best of the last 8 years here in Alberta I prefer to hunt in BC myself.

What I meant to imply was that the limited entry hunting system in Alberta is much better than the system in BC. I put in for 29 years for a Rosie draw without a sniff while I know another family of 3 that have had 5 draws total. That’s a screwed up system.
    No worries, I don't think either systems are ideal. Some states have better systems, combo points and lottery. Rosie would most likely be on a true draw anyway if it were in Alberta. Kind of like bison in the park.